Why we can't get a Keno/Steve Forbes or mid-major type coach

droidhawk

He would have to win immediately. Steve Forbes and any other "small fish" including Keno Davis, would need a tourney appearance in year 1. A big name however, ala Pearl/Lavin/Jay Wright or other established, high major coaches, would probably get 2-3 years. And only if they brought in top 15 classes by year 2.

This is an EXTREMELY delicate situation requiring we get the best, and I mean the best of the best. We're going to have to pay a top 5 salary. We're now committed to pay the highest amount due to lack of fan support. The program has to now PROVE to the fans they're commited to producing a winning and exciting product in order to regain their support and the only way to do that is 1. State of the art facilities 2. A well recognized head coach with recruiting abilities and 3. Just win baby.

So we could get the mid-major guy or the top assistant but we now have an NFL environment where a coach could potentially be fired mid-season with the right ingredients. We now have a Jamie Pollard-fire-everybody-all-eggs-in-one-basket situation. And Bob Bowlsby is the guy that created it.

So, Gary Barta, you better do whatever you have to do, but Bruce Pearl is the guy. And every hawkeye fan in the country knows it. Our program hangs in the balance of you making this happen. Now make it happen, or you'll be gone within the next 2 years.

He would have to win immediately. Steve Forbes and any other "small fish" including Keno Davis, would need a tourney appearance in year 1. A big name however, ala Pearl/Lavin/Jay Wright or other established, high major coaches, would probably get 2-3 years. And only if they brought in top 15 classes by year 2.

This is an EXTREMELY delicate situation requiring we get the best, and I mean the best of the best. We're going to have to pay a top 5 salary. We're now committed to pay the highest amount due to lack of fan support. The program has to now PROVE to the fans they're commited to producing a winning and exciting product in order to regain their support and the only way to do that is 1. State of the art facilities 2. A well recognized head coach with recruiting abilities and 3. Just win baby.

So we could get the mid-major guy or the top assistant but we now have an NFL environment where a coach could potentially be fired mid-season with the right ingredients. We now have a Jamie Pollard-fire-everybody-all-eggs-in-one-basket situation. And Bob Bowlsby is the guy that created it.

So, Gary Barta, you better do whatever you have to do, but Bruce Pearl is the guy. And every hawkeye fan in the country knows it. Our program hangs in the balance of you making this happen. Now make it happen, or you'll be gone within the next 2 years.

I stopped reading your post after the first paragraph. You seriously think this fan base expects ANYONE to come in and take this team to the NCAA tournament in YEAR 1 after the worst season in school history? I want some of what you're having!

Just read the rest of it. Bruce Pearl ain't comin' here man. I would kill to be wrong here, but I think everyone gets that by now.

Barta has to "prove to the fans" that Iowa is committed to the basketball program? Right now I would love it if he figured out how to sell this to whomever make his short list. Nor does the new coach whoever it is will need to make the tournament in their first year or pull in a top 15 recruiting class... would love for that to happen, but that is just not realistic. Pearl ain't comin.

I don't care who the coach is next year, Iowa is probably no better than a 9th place team. Iowa, in all liklihood, will be picked lower than 9th.

Unless the new coach brings in some difference makers, next year still will be pretty ugly.

droid, thankfully the expectations you are are not held by the majority I see on here. Otherwise they might as well just cancel the program

Why is the OP thinking so small. Hell if the university has so much money to throw around and you want to dream about something that ain't gonna happen, dream BIG. Why not pay coach K or Calipari 5 mil. a year? They'll have us in the final four next year! Then we can re-negotiate KF's contract because the new basketball coach is making more money than he is and we can pay $100 and $75 each respectively for football and basketball tickets.

droid, thankfully the expectations you are are not held by the majority I see on here. Otherwise they might as well just cancel the program

Exactly. If the expectations are NCAA Tourney any sooner than 2013, I think those people will be severely disappointed. Year 1 will be Fugly. Year 2, hopefully improvement, MAYBE even enough for an NIT berth/bubble team. In Year 3 (2012-13 season), we can all hope for the NCAA Tourney. It is sad when you think about it that way though as Gatens and Fuller would never play in the NCAA Tourney...

Am I off base here? I guess so much of it depends on the level of recruiter the new coach is. Maybe he could bring in some JUCO guys who could help accelerate it a year so Gatens and Fuller could have a shot their senior year? I see no way we get there in Year 1 though...

I stopped reading your post after the first paragraph. You seriously think this fan base expects ANYONE to come in and take this team to the NCAA tournament in YEAR 1 after the worst season in school history? I want some of what you're having!

I think he's saying that a mid-major hire would have to do that in order to win fan support. Otherwise, he'll be just "another Lickliter". It may be extreme, but the fan base will not be happy at all with a mid-major hire, which would put that guy (whoever it is) behind the 8-ball out of the gate.

We need someone to bring excitement back from day one.....a lesser name will only bring fans back immediately if they can find a way to win games.

Bruce Pearl/any other big name=fans in the seats and immediate excitement no matter what

Forbes/"no" name coach=same as last year unless they some how win games or make it exciting to go to Carver at the least.

That premise is ridiculous. Iowa would have lower expectations for a big-name coach than for a 'small fish'?

That premise is ridiculous. Iowa would have lower expectations for a big-name coach than for a 'small fish'?

hes not saying that at all....hes saying us the fans are going to be patient with a Pearl hire and will take a year or two of adjusting because the excitement with the hire will be there. A lesser hire who brings no additional excitement will be on a short leash with the fans...is that fair....of course not but thats how it is

Ferentz was a small fish hire...he had a solid rep but no one knew him.....he took care of that by winning....same as the bball coach will have to do if his name isnt Pearl or someone else popular

In all honesty, if Lick had been better at selling himself to the media and fans, he'd still be the coach. People would have put up with the crappy record and boring style for at least another year or so if he was fun to listen to and could feed us some BS enthusiasm from time to time.

In all honesty, if Lick had been better at selling himself to the media and fans, he'd still be the coach. People would have put up with the crappy record and boring style for at least another year or so if he was fun to listen to and could feed us some BS enthusiasm from time to time.

this is spot on and what it is all about. It doesn't matter who Iowa brings in as their new coach, as long as the right apporach is taken to sell that individual to the fan base. this is why a ben jacobson type of hire would be pretty easy to get people to buy into. here's your PR campaign "This is the guy (jacobson) who took a bunch of homegrown Iowa boys and went deep into the tournament, knocking off #1 rated KU and making a legitimate rune at the national title" (this obviously is an easier sell the further UNI goes in the tournament). He has established a recruiting base in the area, he has the entire state of Iowa media in his pocket, and let me know if I'm wrong here, but the man can coach!! If Jaime Pollard has taught us anything, it's that marketing can sell a lot of tickets and get people excited

Or if he could have gotten through to players and maybe kept a few around.

Exactly. If the expectations are NCAA Tourney any sooner than 2013, I think those people will be severely disappointed. Year 1 will be Fugly. Year 2, hopefully improvement, MAYBE even enough for an NIT berth/bubble team. In Year 3 (2012-13 season), we can all hope for the NCAA Tourney. It is sad when you think about it that way though as Gatens and Fuller would never play in the NCAA Tourney...

Am I off base here? I guess so much of it depends on the level of recruiter the new coach is. Maybe he could bring in some JUCO guys who could help accelerate it a year so Gatens and Fuller could have a shot their senior year? I see no way we get there in Year 1 though...
I think this is about right. The main idea coming across would be IMPROVEMENT. If we don't have a great year next year, ok fine. Wasn't pretty this year either. NIT the year after, that would be improvement. NCAA after that? Great! Improvement again. I'm pretty sure most would be OK w/ this run of events.

hes not saying that at all....hes saying us the fans are going to be patient with a Pearl hire and will take a year or two of adjusting because the excitement with the hire will be there. A lesser hire who brings no additional excitement will be on a short leash with the fans...is that fair....of course not but thats how it is

So in other words, fans are going to expect more from the no-name coach than from the big-name coach.