why so little success for fran so far?

franstheman

You would think with the connections Dillard and Kirk have we would be able to bring SOMEBODY in by now? It'll be interesting to see who we bring in. Hope they are good. I have faith.

No i just keep hearing about all the players ISU is getting and I know that we're maybe looking long term. It'd just really boost the fanbase if he could sign a scholly player soon not named Mel Basabe LOL.

I know? seeing that fran is going to be "such a better recruiter than hoiberg"!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you think about it, he got the only kid he was recruiting prior to taking the Iowa job that really fits. He hired an assistant who was recruiting with him. Another who hadn't been recruiting for awhile, and a recently fired coach that had some pretty decent verbals, even a couple from the midwest.

Really does seem like Speraw should have been able to get at least one of those kids.

I know? seeing that fran is going to be "such a better recruiter than hoiberg"!!!!!!

There's no doubt he will be. Just taking time. BTW your coaching staff has no experience. treated.

If you think about it, he got the only kid he was recruiting prior to taking the Iowa job that really fits. He hired an assistant who was recruiting with him. Another who hadn't been recruiting for awhile, and a recently fired coach that had some pretty decent verbals, even a couple from the midwest.

Really does seem like Speraw should have been able to get at least one of those kids.

Clearly, the entire coaching staff needs to be fired at once. After all, Fran has been here for 1 1/2 months, and has had his entire coaching staff in place for one week. He's obviously a colossal failure.

You're right franstheman...there should be some mediocre slug, sucking up a schollie for the next 4 years, on the roster by now!

Or we should just be patient and let Fran do his thing...I'd rather pick up no one and bank the scholarship and go with what we have next season than settle for someone just because he could back up Cully a smidge better than the walk-ons coming in.

Aren't you the jag that jumped me for outing you as a troll last year? Claiming that I must throw "troll" around at anyone I don't agree with? Boy, was I wrong on that one...

Edit: And kudos on picking up some transfers that averaged 10 points for Northern Illinois and they didn't want him back and a guy who underachieved for Big10 powerhouse Penn State...Hoiberg's really kickin' some a$$!

Last edited:
You would think with the connections Dillard and Kirk have we would be able to bring SOMEBODY in by now? It'll be interesting to see who we bring in. Hope they are good. I have faith.

What are you talkin' about? Fran got here around month before the late signing period, and was able to bring in a very good recruit in Melsahn Basabe. With the lack of good talent left that late in the game what did you expect a top 10 recruiting class?

Let me educate you in on late period basketball recruiting a little bit. When it is this late in the late game for a class the players that are left on the board are usually A) elite top 10 players who are trying to decide which elite school to go to, B) average players who held out for bigger offers, get picked up by schools out of there league and end up being a waste of a scholly or C) have some sort of grade issues. There is a "D" as well, and those are good players who transfer or get released from there LOIs (like Basabe) because of coaching changes. Late period recruiting is tough, period. I'd rather Fran not waste scholarships on "B" or "C" types in favor of carrying them over to 2011. All the "A" types are off the board now, but maybe Fran will get lucky and add another "D" type like Kevin Noreen.

What are you talkin' about? Fran got here around month before the late signing period, and was able to bring in a very good recruit in Melsahn Basabe. With the lack of good talent left that late in the game what did you expect a top 10 recruiting class?

Let me educate you in on late period basketball recruiting a little bit. When it is this late in the late game for a class the players that are left on the board are usually A) elite top 10 players who are trying to decide which elite school to go to, B) average players who held out for bigger offers, get picked up by schools out of there league and end up being a waste of a scholly or C) have some sort of grade issues. There is a "D" as well, and those are good players who transfer or get released from there LOIs (like Basabe) because of coaching changes. Late period recruiting is tough, period. I'd rather Fran not waste scholarships on "B" or "C" types in favor of carrying them over to 2011. All the "A" types are off the board now, but maybe Fran will get lucky and add another "D" type like Kevin Noreen.

Winner!

Great logical post....logic has been lacking in regards to recruits lately. No one should panic unless Fran fails to get some solid recruits for the 2011 class in November

Clearly, the entire coaching staff needs to be fired at once. After all, Fran has been here for 1 1/2 months, and has had his entire coaching staff in place for one week. He's obviously a colossal failure.

Your wild jump from my comment making it seem like they all should be fired is utterly beyond reason.

I provided an account of the recent recruiting activities of the three coaches. Showed that one had not recently been recruiting, hence it would be unlikely he had any current recruiting relationships. He might have personal relationships, but they wouldn't be recruiting relationships. Two coaches came from the same school and brought their key recruit. That leaves one coach and that one actually had some good verbals at the job from which he was released. Hence, it would seem the last coach is the one that might be the most likely to bring in a player or two, particularly because a couple of the verbals are from the Midwest.

How does that possibly lead you to think I would want the coaches fired?

Aren't you the jag that jumped me for outing you as a troll last year? Claiming that I must throw "troll" around at anyone I don't agree with? Boy, was I wrong on that one...

Edit: And kudos on picking up some transfers that averaged 10 points for Northern Illinois and they didn't want him back and a guy who underachieved for Big10 powerhouse Penn State...Hoiberg's really kickin' some a$$!

I wasn't trolling then, just stating an opinion that you disagreed with. which by no means qualifies as trolling.

my first post in this thread, definitely trolling.

If you think NUI didn't want Anderson back, your kidding yourself. Every program out there hates returning three year starters, right? He brings experience at guard and can start immediately this year, which is exactly what ISU needs.

Babb will be an impact player in 2011.

I know, I too like to downplay when Iowa has some things of their own moving in the right direction, but don't kid yourself here. Both of these pick ups are guys that have proven they can play D1 ball. ISU is better with them. that's not to say they're making the tournament this year, but they're definitely heading in the right direction

Your wild jump from my comment making it seem like they all should be fired is utterly beyond reason.

I provided an account of the recent recruiting activities of the three coaches. Showed that one had not recently been recruiting, hence it would be unlikely he had any current recruiting relationships. He might have personal relationships, but they wouldn't be recruiting relationships. Two coaches came from the same school and brought their key recruit. That leaves one coach and that one actually had some good verbals at the job from which he was released. Hence, it would seem the last coach is the one that might be the most likely to bring in a player or two, particularly because a couple of the verbals are from the Midwest.

How does that possibly lead you to think I would want the coaches fired?

Clearly, you can't interpret sarcasm very well. It was more a less a play on your previous writings of how we'll all know by November if Fran is going to be successful or not, and the general hand-wringing and hemming and hawing that you and some others do on a daily basis.

I don't know a whole lot about recruiting - caring is creepy in my world - but I'm not particularly worried that Fran hasn't brought in a bunch of guys who are one and done or are only going to be here for one or two years. Let ISU have the the jucos, malcontents, and kids with grade problems. I want Iowa to get players who want to come here, and want to stay for four years.

The same blind speculation that ISU fans use when they say that Hoiberg will be a winner. Pure homerism.

finally, a rational thought from THH. I don't think hoiberg is a lock for winning at ISU or hanging tournament banners in Hilton. lets be realistic. But I'm confident that he has the ability to get the right personel in there, bring in and retain quaility players better than MCD was able to, and put ISU in the position to succeed. You can call that "homerism" if you'd like, I just think it's more being confident in a guy that has had success almost every where he has been. We'll find out in a few months about his ability to coach.

Clearly, you can't interpret sarcasm very well. It was more a less a play on your previous writings of how we'll all know by November if Fran is going to be successful or not, and the general hand-wringing and hemming and hawing that you and some others do on a daily basis.

I don't know a whole lot about recruiting - caring is creepy in my world - but I'm not particularly worried that Fran hasn't brought in a bunch of guys who are one and done or are only going to be here for one or two years. Let ISU have the the jucos, malcontents, and kids with grade problems. I want Iowa to get players who want to come here, and want to stay for four years.

I'll take a transfer in good academic standing and another who will be graduating and going to grad school any day, if it fits the program. The high horse act is amusing.

I like what Fran is doing but it doesn't mean ISU isn't doing well at the same time.

Why so little success?!? You are obviously suffering from downs or some other issue.

Please go away.

Latest posts