Why so few WR's?

I have a short memory and so do some of you, apparently. I cannot be exact, but in the first couple of years Davis was here we actually shorted the O line recruits in favor of more receivers.

Yes, correct.. In the process we weren't able to land any talented receivers. Double bust.

The problem with recruiting and Iowa football is KF. We play a boring, outdated brand of football. That's what KF likes, but recruits, not so much. I think the hire of Brian will do more to hurt recruiting, as recruits see the name Ferentz and see more of the same boring shit. The brand is the problem, and until KF is gone, nothing is going to change.

We should quit fighting it. Just stop recruiting WR and put all OL in at receiver. 315 pounders lined up outside blocking their corners and run it. Problem solved.

The problem with recruiting and Iowa football is KF. We play a boring, outdated brand of football. That's what KF likes, but recruits, not so much. I think the hire of Brian will do more to hurt recruiting, as recruits see the name Ferentz and see more of the same boring shit. The brand is the problem, and until KF is gone, nothing is going to change.

I'll at least give BF a chance.

-------They can't do it. Last name ends any hope of that.

Yep....damn right it does. Enough with this shit!!!

Depending on what happens on signing day I'd love to see Brian go after another Damon Powell or two from the CC ranks.

BGHP, GoIowaAwesome or Landof10 did a breakdown of our previous classes and our inability to get/keep WRs. It was a combination of Iowa being unable to get good recruits, GD's offense not meshing with KF's plans, and then just plain bad luck with injuries/transfers.

Is Beyer going to end up as a TE or WR? I'll be interested to know if he's put on much weight since coming. He was on the smaller side of 210 when he got there and he's not going to be lining up on the line if that's about where he's at. Maybe keep him outside with his length he wouldn't have to outrun anybody at 6'5

-------It always seems hard to read Kirk's mindset

No it isn't.

It is a lack of "want to" problem....and flat out lazy recruiting. I honestly think that Ferments looks around the country and in the NFL at the attitudes of a high majority of WR's, and has decided that he wants no part of it....too flashy for Kurt....what with their over confidence, zoot suits, and flashy doo dads in their ears. Kurt Ferments is the problem....2017 is gonna be a disaster!!!

Ohhhhh, I forget....just like basketball, it will be overlooked because we are "rebuilding".....oh, and the new QB thingy....can't forget that.

So a lazy recruiter has this as a schedule (at least part of it as I've gleaned from this forum, and I know I'm missing a lot of dates):
1/12 In home in New Jersey
1/16 Central Iowa
1/18 In home in Alabama
1/23 In home in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
1/24 Chicago
1/25 In home in Kenosha, Wisconsin

If you've ever traveled for your job you know how exhausting this kind of schedule is. If you haven't.... well, you'd call it "lazy".

According to the ESPN recruiting stats, the 2013- 2016 Iowa recruiting classes signed 8 recruits listed as WR.
Of those, 4 were on the 2016 roster (4 have apparently left the program).
2013 Class: Signed - 4 2016 roster - Vandeberg
2014 Class: Signed - 0
2015 Class: Signed - 3 2016 Roster- J. Smith & Falconer
2016 Class: Signed - 1 2016 Roster- Rugumba (playing as DB)

We are averaging 2 WR recruits per year. With an attrition rate of >50%, we end up with less than one true WR on the roster from each class.
In 2016 we had 3 recruited WR's on the entire roster. as a WR.
Is this an intentional strategy - to skimp on receiving talent to load up at other positions?
Or is this a recruiting problem - can't get any HS WR's to come to Iowa?

Martin's decision seems to confirm it is a recruiting problem.

I think up to this point, Kirk has recruited it as a secondary need position. His vision is running the ball with the receivers only being there to keep the defenses honest. He's been putting all his chits on the O-line, TEs and defense because that's where he thinks games are won.

I hope and believe he's come to see the light after the debacle at the receiver position this last season that he needs to re-think his strategy and get receivers more involved. Well, at least a little bit more anyway.
Yeah and it shows (see the 2016 version of pathetic offense). It's sad really while other better programs take the best possible kids at all positions he sees this one as secondary. I've said this before Riley, Campbell, Brohm, Fleck etc. Kirk is in trouble recruiting. Do we have the new coaches yet?

Latest posts