Why so few WR's?

SCHawkeye2

According to the ESPN recruiting stats, the 2013- 2016 Iowa recruiting classes signed 8 recruits listed as WR.
Of those, 4 were on the 2016 roster (4 have apparently left the program).
2013 Class: Signed - 4 2016 roster - Vandeberg
2014 Class: Signed - 0
2015 Class: Signed - 3 2016 Roster- J. Smith & Falconer
2016 Class: Signed - 1 2016 Roster- Rugumba (playing as DB)

We are averaging 2 WR recruits per year. With an attrition rate of >50%, we end up with less than one true WR on the roster from each class.
In 2016 we had 3 recruited WR's on the entire roster. as a WR.
Is this an intentional strategy - to skimp on receiving talent to load up at other positions?
Or is this a recruiting problem - can't get any HS WR's to come to Iowa?

I think up to this point, Kirk has recruited it as a secondary need position. His vision is running the ball with the receivers only being there to keep the defenses honest. He's been putting all his chits on the O-line, TEs and defense because that's where he thinks games are won.

I hope and believe he's come to see the light after the debacle at the receiver position this last season that he needs to re-think his strategy and get receivers more involved. Well, at least a little bit more anyway.

I think up to this point, Kirk has recruited it as a secondary need position. His vision is running the ball with the receivers only being there to keep the defenses honest. He's been putting all his chits on the O-line, TEs and defense because that's where he thinks games are won.

I hope and believe he's come to see the light after the debacle at the receiver position this last season that he needs to re-think his strategy and get receivers more involved. Well, at least a little bit more anyway.

which only works it they're an actual threat and you throw to them.

I have a short memory and so do some of you, apparently. I cannot be exact, but in the first couple of years Davis was here we actually shorted the O line recruits in favor of more receivers.

According to the ESPN recruiting stats, the 2013- 2016 Iowa recruiting classes signed 8 recruits listed as WR.
Of those, 4 were on the 2016 roster (4 have apparently left the program).
2013 Class: Signed - 4 2016 roster - Vandeberg
2014 Class: Signed - 0
2015 Class: Signed - 3 2016 Roster- J. Smith & Falconer
2016 Class: Signed - 1 2016 Roster- Rugumba (playing as DB)

We are averaging 2 WR recruits per year. With an attrition rate of >50%, we end up with less than one true WR on the roster from each class.
In 2016 we had 3 recruited WR's on the entire roster. as a WR.
Is this an intentional strategy - to skimp on receiving talent to load up at other positions?
Or is this a recruiting problem - can't get any HS WR's to come to Iowa?
Devente Young was a part of that class he's still around I think. I can't remember off the top of my head going back further to check on your list but I get your point. Bottom line is Iowa desperately needs a game changer. Status quo wasn't working and sure wouldn't going forward. It's why Martin is just such a huge deal. Without a playmaking WR or two it just completely handcuffs your offense. One would only hope that the staff would notice this last season was the perfect example of that. Good offensive line, senior returning starter at QB 2 good running backs that stayed pretty healthy overall and the offense was still that bad overall.... There were two glaring reasons for it. WR play and those that were coaching them up... Well they've gotten rid of the 2 coaches primarily on the hook for that so let's see if Martin ends up coming or those that will be can make an impact.

Idea...
5 linemen plus two TEs. QB & RB with 2 blockers in between the line and RB and just try plowing every play.

lol, original post would have been a penalty. Me so dumb.

Last edited:

I think you raise a good point here. Another poster mentioned that Davis put a priority on getting more speed at WR when he signed on but from the get go his passing game never meshed with what Kirk wants to do on offense. With the promotion of Brian like it or not which we can leave to other threads I think we see the first step in this eventually becoming Brian Ferentz's team. And as Brian said in his opening press conference going forward we will stay physical and tough in the tradition of the philosophy his Dad has set but if we want to compete for championships we have to become flexible and adaptive to change.

I think we have the pieces in this class at WR to upgrade the passing game however it develops under Brian and the coaches he and Kirk hire. Brandon Smith looks like a very good prospect and I like the Marchese kid who committed this week and looks like an under the radar type. Smith-Marsette who it looks like we have a decent shot at could really help us whether he plays on offense or in the secondary. And don't overlook the walk on who has played hockey since high school whose brother committed to Fleck at Minnesota. We may have picked up a really physical kid who fits our culture and the way we like to play. Martin would seem gravy at this point but I don't see it happening.

It always seems hard to read Kirk's mindset but I sense we may have seen the start of him slowly turning over the reins.

-------It always seems hard to read Kirk's mindset

No it isn't.

It is a lack of "want to" problem....and flat out lazy recruiting. I honestly think that Ferments looks around the country and in the NFL at the attitudes of a high majority of WR's, and has decided that he wants no part of it....too flashy for Kurt....what with their over confidence, zoot suits, and flashy doo dads in their ears. Kurt Ferments is the problem....2017 is gonna be a disaster!!!

Ohhhhh, I forget....just like basketball, it will be overlooked because we are "rebuilding".....oh, and the new QB thingy....can't forget that.

Last edited:
Martin is the biggest recruit in the history of KF at Iowa...a watershed recruit...top player in the state, at a critical need, sought by some of the best programs in the country, an Iowa fan, and this after most of the skill talent in the class has decommitted...big, no HUGE stakes...

For some reason we have had trouble recruiting good quality receivers.We've been known for taking talented athletes and trying to make them into receivers and you don't get that done in a short period of time.

Iowa's threat at WR for a long time has been "non-existent"...not sure why, but it is tough to score without the threat...and it is tough to recruit to a WR based offense that doesn't exist most of the time.

I think you raise a good point here. Another poster mentioned that Davis put a priority on getting more speed at WR when he signed on but from the get go his passing game never meshed with what Kirk wants to do on offense. With the promotion of Brian like it or not which we can leave to other threads I think we see the first step in this eventually becoming Brian Ferentz's team. And as Brian said in his opening press conference going forward we will stay physical and tough in the tradition of the philosophy his Dad has set but if we want to compete for championships we have to become flexible and adaptive to change.

I think we have the pieces in this class at WR to upgrade the passing game however it develops under Brian and the coaches he and Kirk hire. Brandon Smith looks like a very good prospect and I like the Marchese kid who committed this week and looks like an under the radar type. Smith-Marsette who it looks like we have a decent shot at could really help us whether he plays on offense or in the secondary. And don't overlook the walk on who has played hockey since high school whose brother committed to Fleck at Minnesota. We may have picked up a really physical kid who fits our culture and the way we like to play. Martin would seem gravy at this point but I don't see it happening.

It always seems hard to read Kirk's mindset but I sense we may have seen the start of him slowly turning over the reins.
I

That started when last contract was signed.3 YEARS! Chips all in .CAP AND BRIAN NEED NEXT 2 YEARS As good ones.Double. edged sword no?

Recruit track team sprinters. Fall practice would improve track team.

It seems that Michigan gets the Iowa wr's. Wonder how many games Michigan has beaten Iowa with those wr's?

Latest posts