Why not try a FG on that 4th-and-3?

Cover3

Hey all. I haven't seen this brought up anywhere, but one of the great virtues of the two-point conversion is that a team facing an 11-point deficit needs just a field goal to close a game to one possession. That said, why did we go for it with just under two minutes left? 4th & 3 is a shaky proposition with this offense, and you need a TD, two-point conversion, and a field goal in that time span, regardless of sequence.

I can understand wanting to get the TD out of the way if you're in 4th & Goal from the 2 or something like that, but I think Meyer should have gotten the opportunity to keep us alive today, given the situation.

You have do it with KF math:
28 -17 = 12
FG makes no sense.

haha that is a good one and KFs fuzzy math.

I bet 99 out of 100 coaches would kick the fg there, you need to make it but Meyer is one of the best fb kickers is college football. then you line up for the onside kick or kick deep bcuz you have your 3 timeouts.

Every NFL coach would kick the FG in that situation.

Iowa's offense ate up so much time they needed the TD at that time and with Meyer's leg and the wind at his back he could have tried a VERY long FG after it if they got the ball back. They were at the 23...they weren't going to get THAT close again (barring 2 miracles) with only a minute and a half left. It was the right call, based on poor clock management on the drive.

That being said, I would have had no problem had they kicked the FG...I just don't think they liked their chances of getting 2 miracles as opposed to 1. Had it been longer than 4th and 3 from the 23 I think they would have taken the points.

Iowa's offense ate up so much time they needed the TD at that time and with Meyer's leg and the wind at his back he could have tried a VERY long FG after it if they got the ball back. They were at the 23...they weren't going to get THAT close again (barring 2 miracles) with only a minute and a half left. It was the right call, based on poor clock management on the drive.

That being said, I would have had no problem had they kicked the FG...I just don't think they liked their chances of getting 2 miracles as opposed to 1. Had it been longer than 4th and 3 from the 23 I think they would have taken the points.

Fair enough, but how much time would have been left after a TD? Hail Mary range is a lot closer than FG range (if you recover an onside kick). Kick the FG, and you technically don't have to go anywhere after recover the onside to have a chance. I'll agree with your reasoning though that both options have reasons in their favor. I just think you take the best bet to extend the game whenever you can. So far, Meyer's FG percentage of ~85% is a much better bet there than whatever our offense's 4th down percentage is.

Fair enough, but how much time would have been left after a TD? Hail Mary range is a lot closer than FG range (if you recover an onside kick). Kick the FG, and you technically don't have to go anywhere after recover the onside to have a chance. I'll agree with your reasoning though that both options have reasons in their favor. I just think you take the best bet to extend the game whenever you can. So far, Meyer's FG percentage of ~85% is a much better bet there than whatever our offense's 4th down percentage is.
I can see your point too...but that's why I'm thinking they wanted the TD in that situation. Meyer from long range is a better option than a Hail Mary. Or who knows, maybe it was just bad math and they forgot you could go for 2 on the conversion? Nothing would surprise me at this point.

This scenario requires the coaching staff to have a decent understanding of end of game time management/scoring scenarios. I think after 13 years we all know that understanding small stuff like this just isnt going to happen. Thats football

Given our QB situation or lack there of the field goal is the easy decision in my book. That way in the event we somehow recover the onside kick, Vandy gets a brand new 4 downs to try to draw a PI or roughing the passer call to advance the ball down field.

What might be a better question is why didn't we call a TO toward the end of the first half instead of the delay of game and going for it on 4th and 12. Regardless of the wind I'd take Myer over Vandy any day of the week when it comes to getting the ball to a target 5 or more yards down field. And by kicking we also don't have to depend on our receivers to actually catch the ball.

Latest posts