Why not run this wide open 2 minute O always?

This reminds me of 2005 when we let Tate throw it all over the yard

Free JVB! Thats obviously where he is the most comfortable

Amazing W

Keep in mind this was a "once in a lifetime" type of comeback. They did everything they needed to in the fourth..not realistic each game.

They were also in a much more prevent defense for most of the drives. Once they switched back, it was too late. It isn't always that easy.

It seems it would keep the defense from putting 8 in the box if we stretch it vertically like we finally did. (out of necessity) That should help the run game.

I think its worth looking at maybe designating a few drives as "no huddle." 3 to 4 series a game come out in a no huddle. JVB looked very good in the shotgun throwing the ball, we were getting chunks of yards and Pitt had no answer. Our WR's are very good, we need to utilize them.

Keep in mind this was a "once in a lifetime" type of comeback. They did everything they needed to in the fourth..not realistic each game.

I'm not speaking in regard to the comeback itself, but the method for achieving results which is to run a wide open no huddle offense and keep the defense on their toes. This was far more effective than the slow predictable pro-style offense we were running out of the huddle for 3 qtrs.

How did the wide-open, hurry-up offense work for Pitt when they needed to protect a 21-point lead in the 4th quarter?

Don't agree. Take the chains off of our QB. Let the kid throw his darts.

100% agree. He looked so much more comfortable working out of the gun (a la Tate), running a semi-hurry up. If IA goes back to same ol same ol next week, and the rest of the season, it will be very disappointing. It was clear as can be today that Vandenberg is at his best operating out the gun w/ 3 or 4 wide. And man talk about a rocket for an arm. Throwing darts is right

I'm not speaking in regard to the comeback itself, but the method for achieving results which is to run a wide open no huddle offense and keep the defense on their toes. This was far more effective than the slow predicable pro-style offense we were running out of the huddle for 3 qtrs.

Would that keep us from false starts, personal fouls, holding, and putting kickoffs out of bounds?

It proves we should have tried to move it in regulation against ISU last week. Just not letting this offense try was idiotic. It may not have been as successful as I know many things were different including location, momentum, defense played etc., but they should have been given the chance to try because as we saw today our vertical passing game can have life.

They were also in a much more prevent defense for most of the drives. Once they switched back, it was too late. It isn't always that easy.

Exactly. I'd like to see Iowa throw more but Pitt wasn't as aggressive on D in the 4th quarter as they were in first 3.

Would that keep us from false starts, personal fouls, holding, and putting kickoffs out of bounds?

No, but it sure worked for completing passes, getting first downs scoring td's. Let's not be ignorant of reality. It sure works for Green Bay, New England and New Orleans. It works for Oklahoma and Oregon.

Exactly. I'd like to see Iowa throw more but Pitt wasn't as aggressive on D in the 4th quarter as they were in first 3.

It's harder to be aggressive against teams working out of a no huddle when you can't change personnel. It's also easier to be aggressive and have multiple blitz packages and 8-9 in the box against 2 TE sets with a FB in the backfield.

No, but it sure worked for completing passes, getting first downs scoring td's. Let's not be ignorant of reality. It sure works for Green Bay, New England and New Orleans. It works for Oklahoma and Oregon.

I freaking loved the hurry-up and I'm sure we'll see a lot of JVB in the shotgun for the rest of the year. But I just can't believe people would point to the first half and complain about coaching of all things. There's not an offensive system in the world that can deal with those kinds of mistakes. And I believe Herman's false start was on a no-huddle hurry up at the end of the first half.

It's harder to be aggressive against teams working out of a no huddle when you can't change personnel. It's also easier to be aggressive and have multiple blitz packages and 8-9 in the box against 2 TE sets with a FB in the backfield.

They were still blitzing, but we did a much better job picking them up. I can't believe how bad the O-line was in the first half. Bizarre.

Latest posts