Why not give Vandeberg a couple of series?

And get practice handing the ball off? Vandy wasn't going to get any passes in if he went in, so they just kept Stanzi in.

leaving A Rob and Stanzi in today was puzzling. The staff had a great first half and an equally poor second half

leaving A Rob and Stanzi in today was puzzling. The staff had a great first half and an equally poor second half

Exactly.

In the 4th the game was in hand even if we screw up. I'd think it'd be smart to let Vandy have a go and actually run the offense instead of handing it off 3 times and punt.

If he had some game experience last year he might have done a better job when he got thrown in against Northwestern.

I was surprised Vandenberg didn't play myself. This whole game seemed out of character for Iowa coaches (not a critique just an observation). The time outs at the end of the half when they were up 30, leaving a bunch of the starters in, the trick plays and it looked like they were going for the blocked punt to end the game (although to be honest I wasn't paying that close attention at that point).

It's like the entire Michigan State team banged our coaches wives or somthing.

On the other hand, Michigan State has been a second half team all year, they came back from 17 last week and they have the comeback reputation because of the 35 point comeback from a few years ago (not that that should have any effect on preparing for this team but creating that reputation is going to have an impact on a coaches thinking you'd have to think) so we probably wanted to get up by as much as possible to not allow a comeback.

For all the value and quality KF brings to the program he amazes me with his ineptness at getting meaningful snaps for backups.

I can only scratch my head wondering why he leaves startes in during garbage time.

I foresee a lot of "WHY ARE YOU NEVER HAPPY!?!?" responses to this and several other threads.

It should be a fun week.

Ahh, my post was a couple of minutes late. Let the ragging begin.

There are always those who will find something to ***** about.

So in your view, Ferentz is beyond criticism. Got it.

Here's another view:

"I know a lot of fans understand this, but for those who don't: It is possible to love your school, cheer heartily for your team and still question your coach on this stuff. Really, it's fine. It doesn't make you less of a fan. It makes you a freethinker."

Dont have one. Telling you what Stanzi said when asked why he was still in there. take it up with Kirk on Wednesday night.
My back was stiff today too. It gave me an excuse not to rake the leaves this morning! Thanks for the info, Jon.

Here is what Kirk said:

Q. You had a 37‑point lead going into the fourth quarter and some of your starters including Ricky played the whole game. Was there ever a thought to getting him out?
COACH FERENTZ: There was but maybe we are gun‑shy right now. 37-6, we knew we would have to screw it up probably to have this thing go the other direction.
But you know, we just wanted to finish the game out. We got a lot of guys in. There were a lot of guys in there. We didn’t want to give up anything easier or make it too dramatic. It was kind of a weird fourth quarter statistically but that’s all right, we’ll live with that.

Latest posts