Why not change up how Goodson is Used?

ChosenChildren

Running him between the tackles behind a very average OL doesn’t make much sense to me. Ragaini and Tracy aren’t getting open.
Why not Goodson in the slot? Let him catch and then run in space? Doesn’t that make some sense?

Running him between the tackles behind a very average OL doesn’t make much sense to me. Ragaini and Tracy aren’t getting open.
Why not Goodson in the slot? Let him catch and then run in space? Doesn’t that make some sense?

Seems completely logical, but what doesn't make sense to me was when you indicated that this was a "very average OL" that seemed way to optimistic of a label to me.

Again. Judging TG’s performance as if he is hurt, or doing something wrong, or that he has some major weakness, is a blind alley. It’s the O Line, stupid.

Again. Judging TG’s performance as if he is hurt, or doing something wrong, or that he has some major weakness, is a blind alley. It’s the O Line, stupid.

Yep, Goodson had only two decent holes or creases against Wisky and he took off like a bat out of hell and gained 11-12 yards on one run iirc and a good chunk on the other.

What happened to the wildcat?

Why not quick pitch to Goodson? Why no screen passes to him or a TE screen.

They could have done some things withing the confines of their offense and plays but they didn't try anything. Just the same ole crap with the thought "maybe it will work this time" ..... "maybe it will work this time...". Not one trick play like a half back pass or anything. I'm not all for trick plays but damn, Iowa wasn't doing anything so something has to be tried to try to jump start an offense.

Petras wasn't going to get any time with a 5 or 7 step drop. Why not spend the bye week working on a game plan for him to get the ball out on quick reads to offset the pass rush and keep the D off balance. Quick read pass..............quick read pass..........

Ya knew the o-line wasn't going to hold blocks or block the blitz, and ya knew Petras wasn't going to make all the reads or have time to make them. It seems Petras struggles to throw in windows to receivers. This is an attribute that sets the great QB's apart from the rest. Quick reads and throwing to windows to let receivers get YACS.

Lots of posts about getting the ball out quickly and suggestions for pattern changes, like button hooks, etc. I want the ball out more quickly as well, but unless someone is open, there goes that option. And we know darn well separation is an issue with our receivers.

Lots of posts about getting the ball out quickly and suggestions for pattern changes, like button hooks, etc. I want the ball out more quickly as well, but unless someone is open, there goes that option. And we know darn well separation is an issue with our receivers.

I guess I haven't been in the stadium to watch the live game or see the entire field. Yea someone has to get open, but, are the receivers not getting open right away or when Petras goes back and seconds go by, is the small window closing and the defense catching up to cover.

I was hoping that at least there were small windows on quick reads if Petras knew where to go with it. Anytime he has to go back for a deep route or take time is when he gets pressured or sacked.

Maybe there is opportunity to have him hit quick shots. This can also help take away some of the thinking. Maybe he's that type of person who performs better being sped up. I don't know, but, I think it was worth trying against Wisky. You knew what was going to happen against Wisky, the O-line wasn't going to surprisingly dominate at this point.

For all we know they've tried that and everything else. Who knows what plays were planned but blown up before getting out of the backfied.

Latest posts