why Not BJ Armstrong for coach

BJ will never coach Iowa. Let it go.

Never say Never. Probably not, but if people would have let it go everytime a poster would say this year "let it go, Lick will be back" then we might not be to the point we are now, which for me is excited no matter who we get.

BJ was/is my favorite Bball player of all time. I once stood in a line for 3 hours at Merle Hay Mall to his autograph. This wouldn't qualify him to be a successful coach or even make him interested in the position.

He has no experience as a high profile head coach at a BCS level not to mention head coaching experience at all. What offense would he run? What defense would he run? How well would he understand recruiting practices? What would be his motivation financially? I imagine he probably made a pretty decent amount in the NBA.

It sounds like a good idea but it really isn't. He was a great analyst on ESPN and they were stupid for letting him go. The BTN is very dumb for not having him for part of their broadcast team.

Are you serious? He was a horrible TV analyst. I like B.J. as much as the next guy, but he was flat out brutal in the studio. People, let this "BJ should be the next coach" thing go.

I have always said that no coach has ever started with experience.

And nearly no coaches begin their coaching careers as head coaches at a major conference division 1 school. I don't know of any. If anyone does, fill us in.

I love BJ--just not going to happen.

What would be the problem with talking one of Duke's assistants or Michigan State's assistants? Would that be an option?

Never say Never. Probably not, but if people would have let it go everytime a poster would say this year "let it go, Lick will be back" then we might not be to the point we are now, which for me is excited no matter who we get.

Never. i would bet my house.

So let me get this straight:

BJ has neevr coached a game in the college or pros.
BJ Has never had to recruit a student athlete in his life.
BJ has not been involved in college sports since he left the University of Iowa in the late 80's.
BJ's only experience running team came in the Bulls front office, where he was part of deals such as drafting Marcus Fizer, trading Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler, and missing on Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan, and Grant Hill in free angncy but signing Ron Mercer.

Yeah, this is definatly the guy to put in charge. Kids will just flock to play for a guy who was a minor NBA star before they were born.

So let me get this straight:

BJ has neevr coached a game in the college or pros.
BJ Has never had to recruit a student athlete in his life.
BJ has not been involved in college sports since he left the University of Iowa in the late 80's.
BJ's only experience running team came in the Bulls front office, where he was part of deals such as drafting Marcus Fizer, trading Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler, and missing on Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan, and Grant Hill in free angncy but signing Ron Mercer.

Yeah, this is definatly the guy to put in charge. Kids will just flock to play for a guy who was a minor NBA star before they were born.

But........he still looks like he's 12. That HAS to be a selling point for a recruit.

for all of you dissing what i was posting i was just merely saying it would create a buzz and get people back in the stands and get the program talked about again and get people to turn on a game and actually watch it. I would bet on anything that BJ would do a better job then that piece of crap Lickliter who cant coach or recruit. Kids would want to play for a guy who has NBA ties what kid wouldnt want to play for a guy that has 3 nba rings and played side by side with Michael Jordan. Armstrong has lots of smarts about basketball he would do a fantastic job of at least getting people back in the stands and i bet recruit some very good players. You dont have to have coaching experience to be a good coach. Hell good ole lick had plenty of experience and look where we are now. so experience doesnt mean squat. Recruiting, and getting kids that can actually jump,shoot, and defend is the key to having a good team.

The goal is not to do better than Lick but to sustain a succesful long term basketball program. The short term bump that BJ might provide isn't the goal.

for all of you dissing what i was posting i was just merely saying it would create a buzz and get people back in the stands and get the program talked about again and get people to turn on a game and actually watch it. I would bet on anything that BJ would do a better job then that piece of crap Lickliter who cant coach or recruit. Kids would want to play for a guy who has NBA ties what kid wouldnt want to play for a guy that has 3 nba rings and played side by side with Michael Jordan. Armstrong has lots of smarts about basketball he would do a fantastic job of at least getting people back in the stands and i bet recruit some very good players. You dont have to have coaching experience to be a good coach. Hell good ole lick had plenty of experience and look where we are now. so experience doesnt mean squat. Recruiting, and getting kids that can actually jump,shoot, and defend is the key to having a good team.

I don't think there is a person on this message board that doesn't like BJ. He may be the most popular Hawkeye basketball player of the modern era.

That said, the next Iowa basketball coach won't be, and shouldn't be, BJ Armstrong. Experience matters. Further, BJ has shown no interest in being a basketball coach at any level, much less D1.

Why in the world would you hire somebody who has no experience and has indicated no desire for the position? This is silly.

Latest posts