Why not Billy Gillispie???

I'm trying to understand why this guy isn't landing on anyones lists....

Living here in Houston all I ever heard was the A&M fans gush over him as he took there team deep into the tournament...Only to cry when Kentucky came calling. Then at Kentucky he was unable to live up to expectations just as Tubby couldn't....so they brought in the most famouse cheater in College Athletics to "fix" their problems...

So why not Billy?

1. He is available now (start mending the fences with the recruits)
2. He is a proven winner
3. He has been a head coach
4. He can recruit (look at what he did at A&M and Kentucky)
5. He is young and a workaholic (he eats, sleeps, dreams basketball)

Maybe it's just me, but outside of Pearl this guy is my number one choice and seems the "easiest/cheapest" to land.

because Gillispi can't do this ...
06_FranRocketLaunch.jpg

Well said Spank...

What's really going to be entertaining is that if/when McCaffery does well at Iowa, I'll get ripped because I "hated McCaffery" and "said he would fail" or some other bogus quote...

Man, I think I understand why digits doesn't post anymoar. Dude went major artard after Francis got hired...

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/8229-welcome-mccaffery.html#post97282

DERRRRP said:
Seriously? This is the guy that we are going to hire? Sure he's had success but the conference isn't even rated as a mid-major. According to conference RPI figures. The MAAC was #15 in basketball conference strength this year.

Swing and a miss.

I here bye declare this day "Flashback Friday!"

I read a column by somebody recently that detailed BillyG's treatment of his players and it was not very complimentary of his handling of his players at Ky.

I am open minded,and do believe he is a good coach,but if some of the stuff I read about harsh treatment of players,and the drinking issues...I am fading a bit on Billy.

Sounds like the leopard did not change his spots. Thankfully, Barta was smart on this hire,and went with Fran.....whew!

Sounds like the leopard did not change his spots. Thankfully, Barta was smart on this hire,and went with Fran.....whew!

Barta will always have a "get out of jail free card" with me for this hire. If we can keep him here, and I'm concerned about that, I think he can be one of the best coaching hires ever in Iowa history.

Not so fast my friend. Does this sound like anyone we know?

He is an unknown mid-major coach who is old, white,and has not recruited a midwest player in over a decade.
He also has not gotten a player in the last 5 years at least that even has an offer from a power conference school.
Sound familiar?

Recruiting is the single biggest challenge to Iowa bb, not tempo.
And we go get a guy who has not recruited top players nor even recruited in the midwest?
Gregory was a chicago native who flourished with recruiting in Illinois,Ohio,Indiana and Michigan.
Forbes has recruited all over.

If Barta thinks that all he needs is an uptempo coach to satisfy Iowa fans, he has fallen into the same thinking as last time,thinking that all he needed was a nice guy after SA...

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/8236-if-its-mccaffery-welcome-aboard-2.html#post97310

Guilty as charged. I was a skeptic initially on Fran,and lumped all old white guy coaches into one bucket in that thread. I also did indicate that I was skeptical that Fran would be making a living off of east coast recruits,and that for him to succeed he will need to recruit the midwest....that part was right anyway.

As soon his presser was over, I quickly warmed to him,which was not the case with Lick. Fran ''got it'' and it was apparent immediately. Lick never did.

I don't know if you realize how accurate that is, 1h1. :D

Pretty much how I imagine him on vacation. Although I doubt he's swilling Budweiser as the label appears to be. Prolly something like, Old Oatmeal Skunkbreath Amber Stout Ale.

I'm still ****** we didn't hire Steve Forbes!!!

Seriously, I think some people on here loved him more than his own family did.

Would he be willing to accept an assistant coaching position under Fran......

I am uncertain if someone is suggesting that we replace Fran with Billy Gillispie. That would be complete nonsense and not even worthy of a snicker or sneer.....

It's actually kind of hard to believe that this thread is only two and a half years old. That was a dark time, but it already feels like it was so long ago. Pretty amazing what Fran has been able to do in 30 months.

It's actually kind of hard to believe that this thread is only two and a half years old. That was a dark time, but it already feels like it was so long ago. Pretty amazing what Fran has been able to do in 30 months.

true that!

those sure were dark days. can't imagine how bad it would have gotten with one more year of Lick.

Latest posts