Why not Billy Gillispie???

I'm with Ghost on this. At a time when our basketball program needs STABILITY more than anything, you want to hire a guy who has MULTIPLE DUIs over the past 10 years? Not to mention, a guy who couldn't get it done at the easiest place in the world to win at, Kentucky? No thanks, I'll pass.

1. Stability left when we fired Lickliter...
2. Multiple DUIs - false, only one on his record and it did not affect his coaching...and last time I checked is personal and we aren't tearing apart all the other coaches personal records.
3. Couldn't get it done at Kentucky....yeah they really sucked the last 3 years.

Last edited:
You should hook up with the Lou Hensen obsession guy, you have lots in common. How can you say his 3 DUI charges havent impacted his coaching job?

I can see his recruiting pitch now... Come play for me and we'll be doing Jello Shots and the Union for the next 4 years!

You should hook up with the Lou Hensen obsession guy, you have lots in common. How can you say his 3 DUI charges havent impacted his coaching job?

I can see his recruiting pitch now... Come play for me and we'll be doing Jello Shots and the Union for the next 4 years!

Duff - I am waiting for a decent objection...

He has only one DUI on his record and that was post getting fired from Kentucky....I think everyone knows that life can be hard after getting fired and maybe we could cut him some slack. He never got into trouble while coaching at A&M or Kentucky....the UTEP incident was 7-8 years ago. I'm trying to weigh pros/cons and I think the pros far outweigh the cons as far as prover track record of winning and recruiting.

Will he coach at Iowa....probably not, b/c we will go overpay for another mid major coach who has proven nothing other than they can beat mid major teams.

A&M is similar to Iowa...they are a football school and he made them a basketball school while he was there, he brought back excitiement that hadn't been there for years. This is what Iowa needs right now....someone to show us where we were 25 years ago!!

I'm afraid I just can't argue with a guy who doesn't understand why putting a man with 3 alcohol related arrests in charge of 13 18-22 year old kids is a bad idea.

Sorry.

Weird, I am a CFP and I understand that 25% is 25%...and I have moved across country to take a different job for better pay and I'm telling ya'll that it is easy to get caught up in $3M or $4M dollar numbers when you make $50k/year....but these guys that we are going to "lure" to Iowa with $$ are already making $2.5M plus endorsements etc....do you really believe that we are going to make someone the highest paid coach in Div I basketball? And if money was all it were to take...then we wouldn't even have to argue about this....pick out said best coach and give him an open check book. Since that is all it takes....

I just find this all amusing that people complain that Kirk Ferentz makes too much money when he goes 8-6, but now we want to overpay for someone we view to be the savior of basketball program.

Thus why I think Billy is an interesting option....risky yes, but cheap.

Weird, i make 50k a year and I get caught up in 60k a year numbers. I would never turn down a big raise (I guess 25% is small for you Mr. CFP) for doing the same job at a different place. Basically, if there was any way I could do it, I would do whatever it took to get it.

Ok, that was the response I expected...so he got into trouble for drinking after he got let go from his job.

1. He never was in trouble while coaching A&M or Kentucky if I am not mistaken.
2. He has a year to get his "problem" addressed and corrected.
3. He would be the perfect guy to mentor young men on the dangers of alcohol (ie - Anthony Tucker)
4. As I joked yesterday...if he hasn't fixed his problem, he is sure to keep our kids out of the bar b/c they know he will be there first.

Just my thoughts....

Would be a HORRIBLE hire.

Weird, i make 50k a year and I get caught up in 60k a year numbers. I would never turn down a big raise (I guess 25% is small for you Mr. CFP) for doing the same job at a different place. Basically, if there was any way I could do it, I would do whatever it took to get it.

You'd leave a stable job in a place you know to take a similar job in a less desirable area, with more pressure and less stability for a 25% raise?

If so, then you are the coach we are looking for....someone willing to take a risk, seeing the long term benefit....not just the immediate $$. My point is these guys should be finanically stable already...they aren't living paycheck to paycheck and so what does 25% (if that is the number) more really do for you?

You'd leave a stable job in a place you know to take a similar job in a less desirable area, with more pressure and less stability for a 25% raise?

If so, then you are the coach we are looking for....someone willing to take a risk, seeing the long term benefit....not just the immediate $$. My point is these guys should be finanically stable already...they aren't living paycheck to paycheck and so what does 25% (if that is the number) more really do for you?

Have you paid attention to any major sports in the past 20 years? I don't pretend to know what it does but it is plain to see that it does something.

I read a column by somebody recently that detailed BillyG's treatment of his players and it was not very complimentary of his handling of his players at Ky.

I am open minded,and do believe he is a good coach,but if some of the stuff I read about harsh treatment of players,and the drinking issues...I am fading a bit on Billy.

My GAWD did Herminator and digits get PWN3D in here. U DA MAN, GHOSTO!!

Failing health and 52 and allegations of abusing his players? Yep, I was waaaay out of line assuming his alcohol problems would effect his coaching. My sincere apologies from one Billy to another.

You were spot on here. This may be the first 'like' I use. :)

Hawkeye12345, "I now want Gillispie more than ever just to prove you are continuously wrong about pretty much everything in life."

Somebody, maybe all of us, needs to use this in our sig line. Talk about making an arse of yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts