Why is TCF Bank Stadium such a failure?

HawkeyeHypnosis

Thought this was pretty funny considering they were sure this stadium was going to make more people come to Gopher games. Not even a few years later they are talking of failure and making excuses:

StarTribune.com Mobile | News, weather, sports

What was suppose to bring us pride has brought us embarrassment. Gopher football just can't compete against a campus and its robust surroundings that give students options not available at a lot of other universities. Gopher football is indirectly competing against a robust urban area that offers many entertainment options.

Takes more than a new stadium to draw fans. Minnesota football has been bad for so long. And they have the Vikings in town. I think Gopher football is about like ISU football. They have their core, die-hard fans but overall their fan base is very hit and miss.

A good buddy of mine has lived in Minneapolis for 25 years and he said Gopher football is really not on anyone's mind.

They killed Minnesota football when they took it off-campus 30 years ago. It won't be back any time soon.

And Minnesota sports fans are among the most fickle I've ever seen.

I have not made it to a game up thee since the new stadium was built. Anyone who's been there? How is the stadium itself? I have seen pictures and it looked pretty nice.

I like the new stadium. I have banged milfs on the floor of some stadium restrooms, but TCF had, by far, the nicest accommodation I have ever experienced.

They killed Minnesota football when they took it off-campus 30 years ago. It won't be back any time soon.

And Minnesota sports fans are among the most fickle I've ever seen.

True.

There was a lot of enthusiasm when the Bank was built. It's a nice stadium. But it takes a good team to keep that momentum going. If they would have kept Mason around they might have had something. At least better than a three year step backwards.

I have not made it to a game up thee since the new stadium was built. Anyone who's been there? How is the stadium itself? I have seen pictures and it looked pretty nice.

Well, I've gone to the Iowa-ninny game the last two years. It's a nice stadium but I prefer Kinnick. Of course I'm biased. Would have like it more had we won both times! The fans were obnoxious, don't cha know.

Roll Call:

Which one of you tried to take the goal post out of Metrodome?

i was in the stadium. never seen anything like it, surely never will again. was with a buddy who was from Louisiana, but at the time living in the TC. he was floored that not one Minny fan came to the rescue, or at least tried to defend 'home turf'. his comment being if this was in the SEC it would be 'on'. first time also i've heard the 'evacuation siren' or whatever it was. really weird toned sound letting iowa fan know 'they now meant business'...my 9 year old son was 'in utero' at the time, and fortunately had no long-term effects from the sonic torture....

You know being a history buff -- I recall reading what the media was saying about UI when they built the Iowa Stadium. They called it ... 'Iowa's Idiocy'.

Maybe we should wait for more than a couple of years before declaring TCF a failure.

i was in the stadium. never seen anything like it, surely never will again. was with a buddy who was from Louisiana, but at the time living in the TC. he was floored that not one Minny fan came to the rescue, or at least tried to defend 'home turf'. his comment being if this was in the SEC it would be 'on'. first time also i've heard the 'evacuation siren' or whatever it was. really weird toned sound letting iowa fan know 'they now meant business'...my 9 year old son was 'in utero' at the time, and fortunately had no long-term effects from the sonic torture....

I too was at the game, with a Minny fan, but left before that happened.

Robust urban area? The twin cities area is nice, but it's not that nice. USC doesn't have any problems drawing fans and there seems to be plenty of things to do there.

You know being a history buff -- I recall reading what the media was saying about UI when they built the Iowa Stadium. They called it ... 'Iowa's Idiocy'.

Maybe we should wait for more than a couple of years before declaring TCF a failure.

Why did they think that building the Iowa stadium was idiocy?

08-18-2012 08:39 PMPooker

If you noticed the first post it is Minnesotans that think it's a failure.

08-18-2012 08:39 PMPooker

If you noticed the first post it is Minnesotans that think it's a failure.

Yeah ... was a media report? Or is something special about Minnesota newspapers that exempts them from being media?

Why did they think that building the Iowa stadium was idiocy?

Fair question.

The start of the great depression. Felt it would never be economically viable and was a waste of resources for the University.