Why is everyone in Iowa a "farm boy"?

GodGodGodBathia

How come every time an Iowa team is mentioned nationally or on ESPN or something it's always a team of farmers or the farm boy? They need to do some more research.

Its pure ignorance really, and just annoying.

It doesn't help that every time Iowa is on ESPN they show video of a field of corn or a barn.

The vast majority of people in Iowa AREN'T farmers, if you watch ESPN, you wouldn't know that.

And I'm not trying to say that being a farmer is bad, I'm proud that our state is a farming leader. But there are other things here than cornfields and barns.

I noticed that as well last night and got a laugh. Don't know too many Chicago 'burbs that consist of "farmboys".

no getting away from it we are top leaders of agriculture and pork industry. frankly im proud of this state i'd rather be known as farmers than "city" boys

no getting away from it we are top leaders of agriculture and pork industry. frankly im proud of this state i'd rather be known as farmers than "city" boys

that doesn't mean that everything in Iowa revolves around farms. It's like saying that all players that come out of Detroit are black.

Like it or not, it's how Iowa and Iowans are perceived and what they're known for. I don't farm and don't even live in Iowa any more, but I've actually come to embrace the shots of cornfields and such. If people are ignorant enough to think that all we have is farming, that's their problem.

We kindof reinforce the stereotype by having an "America Needs Farmers (ANF)" helmet sticker. I like it, though.

pictures of farm fields is waaay better than run down neighborhoods and big plants out of business. show pictures of cows and pigs all day

ANF

Iowa? "Thats like, potatoes right?" Every time I go to California I get this...or "I bet youre going to be mad when Lebron leaves the Cavs" or some variation of OHIO sports comment...

Last edited:
Iowa? "Thats like, potatoes right?" Every time I go to California I get this...or "I bet your bet youre going to be mad when Lebron leaves the Cavs" or some variation of OHIO sports comment...

Someone on the old HawkeyeNation (current HawkeyeInsider) once referenced a shirt they bought, in Iowa City...not even sure when this was available, but it said...

"The University of Iowa, Idaho City, Ohio"

I wish I knew exactly where he snagged that one.

I don't see anybody not embracing our identity as a state...I just find the inaccuracy of him not even being FROM the state as ignorant. He wasn't raised in Iowa...that is all.

I'm not trying to pole vault mouse turds here....

Because Iowans are different. We help our neighbors. We have strong work ethics. We still have strong values both morally and ethically. I think it has more to do with what larger city folk and the like don't understand than it does about making an income off of agriculture.

It's been 20 years since I lived in the small rural town I grew up in. However, I still go back to visit family and friends today. People still wave and stop to talk like you've lived there your entire life. You don't see that everywhere. I think it's generally misconstrued as being simpleton "farm people" when really it is people that care. It's hard to describe if you've never experienced it. :)

Because Iowans are different. We help our neighbors. We have strong work ethics. We still have strong values both morally and ethically. I think it has more to do with what larger city folk and the like don't understand than it does about making an income off of agriculture.

It's been 20 years since I lived in the small rural town I grew up in. However, I still go back to visit family and friends today. People still wave and stop to talk like you've lived there your entire life. You don't see that everywhere. I think it's generally misconstrued as being simpleton "farm people" when really it is people that care. It's hard to describe if you've never experienced it. :)

This is the best answer yet, and I'm damn proud to be considered a farm boy.

Latest posts