Why Iowa Fans Shouldn't Care about a CFB Playoff.....

Maybe I should could have titled the thread differently...maybe, 'Why Iowa Fans Shouldn't Care So Much about a CFB Playoff'

"The Reality of a CFB Playoff For Iowa" would've been just fine. :)

At any rate, I want a playoff, regardless of the impact (or lack there of) it has upon Iowa. Whether it can be done fairly is a separate matter.

Basically, people hate change.
That & people are scared the B1G is losing its place at the table(which is true).

My advice to the B1G...don't suck, win something or become the Midwest Ivy League.

That's a brainfart on my part, as I forgot who won the PAC-12. I'm editing my post. The point's the same, though-- it's a pretty easy top 4. And I agree with all of Jon's selections in his long post as well. You go from a situation in which 10-12 undefeated teams never got a chance to play for a title over the course of a decade to one where two or three get left out in the same span. Seems like a huge improvement to me.

A plus one will still give those undefeated teams a chance. You put those top teams and conference champions in the BCS bowls, it will eliminate some of the undefeateds. If not then you give them a win over a strong enough opponent to get them into the BCS championship. If they draw up the BCS bowls good enough it should eliminate the chance of an undefeated team not reaching the plus one game.

True, I forgot people want it to be difficult so they can have a debate on who should be in and who shouldn't.

As I said earlier, the last thing I want to see is an 8-5 Wake Forest in an 8 team playoff because they won a weak division and pulled off a shocker in their conference title game.

Give me a difficult decision rather than a team that has no business being in the playoff based off their entire seasons body of work.

How many of those other sports have been around as long as college football has?

Does it matter?

The baseball and men's hockey tournaments date back to the 40's. Basketball? 1939. Wrestling? 1929. Lacrosse? 1971. D2 & D3 football? 1973. D1-AA? Since it's inception in 1978.

There's simply no good reason for D1-A football to have not gone to a playoff decades ago.

If the revenue distribution % is reduced for the B1G in comparison to the % it got during the BCS, that signals a massive weakening to the B1G. Massive, massive weakening. That's the kind of stuff that would make a OSU or Michigan look elsewhere folks.

Basically, people hate change.
That & people are scared the B1G is losing its place at the table(which is true).

My advice to the B1G...don't suck, win something or become the Midwest Ivy League.

Some do, but not me. When you got an all SEC title game something has to be fixed. But a four team playoff is not the way to go because it will eventually destroy the bowl system. I know some don't care but Iowa has had some of their best moments in bowl games. Tell me "The Catch" happened in a meaningless game.

I think this thread would be filled with a whole bunch of different responses if this was June of 2003 and we were just coming off our 11-2 season.

That's because no one really gives a rats arse at those levels. I know a lot of UNI fans, they talk about UNI and their games on the field because they only know about five other teams and none of their games are ever on TV.

No games on TV? How do they live without Bob Davie saying the same thing every week, Lee Corso babbling incoherently, and Lou Holtz giving fake pre-game speeches? How do they go on without getting the play-by-play from Pam Ward and second-by-second updates on the play of Tim Tebow? HOW DO THEY GET EXCITED WITHOUT A POSSIBLE TRIP TO THE GODADDY.COM BOWL?!?!!!!!

My heart goes out to those poor UNI fans who have to make themselves happy by going to games in person and traveling to campus sites for playoff games. Bring 'em down to Iowa City some time and we'll show 'em what real football is all about! They can thrill to the spectacle of Iowa vs. Central Michigan, live on the Big Ten Network alternate!

No games on TV? How do they live without Bob Davie saying the same thing every week, Lee Corso babbling incoherently, and Lou Holtz giving fake pre-game speeches? How do they go on without getting the play-by-play from Pam Ward and second-by-second updates on the play of Tim Tebow? HOW DO THEY GET EXCITED WITHOUT A POSSIBLE TRIP TO THE GODADDY.COM BOWL?!?!!!!!

My heart goes out to those poor UNI fans who have to make themselves happy by going to games in person and traveling to campus sites for playoff games. Bring 'em down to Iowa City some time and we'll show 'em what real football is all about! They can thrill to the spectacle of Iowa vs. Central Michigan, live on the Big Ten Network alternate!

Nominated: Excellent Rant o' The Day. :D

Does it matter?

The baseball and men's hockey tournaments date back to the 40's. Basketball? 1939. Wrestling? 1929. Lacrosse? 1971. D2 & D3 football? 1973. D1-AA? Since it's inception in 1978.

There's simply no good reason for D1-A football to have not gone to a playoff decades ago.
Should football also start throwing round balls into hoops? Have sweaty players rolling around in singlets? Do whatever it is that LaCrosse players do?

A plus one will still give those undefeated teams a chance. You put those top teams and conference champions in the BCS bowls, it will eliminate some of the undefeateds. If not then you give them a win over a strong enough opponent to get them into the BCS championship. If they draw up the BCS bowls good enough it should eliminate the chance of an undefeated team not reaching the plus one game.

What you are saying here is really, really close to what they are actually doing (BCS bowl games hosting the national semifinals). I'm not exactly clear on what your complaint is.

Again, if you like pissant, minor-league football, Cedar Falls is right up 380.

What's changing with all the non-BCS bowls that will make it different and mean less? I would like to know so I can be prepared.

Well, lets take all the NFL teams that were not good enough to qualify for the playoffs and have them scrimmage each other at the end of the year and the rest are in the playoffs. Would you consider those scrimmages meaningless??

As I said earlier, the last thing I want to see is an 8-5 Wake Forest in an 8 team playoff because they won a weak division and pulled off a shocker in their conference title game.

Give me a difficult decision rather than a team that has no business being in the playoff based off their entire seasons body of work.

Guess you didn't like UCONN making a run a couple years ago in basketball and winning it all after finishing .500 and 9-9 in conference.

Latest posts