Why Iowa Fans Shouldn't Care about a CFB Playoff.....

We could see Iowa play in 1-2 more games a year.
Iowa has a better shot at the national championship than before.
If Iowa doesn't qualify they still go to a bowl game.

What's wrong with that?

Ask Matt Gatens how meaningless the NIT is
I guess that is the point. The whole reason the NIT exists is the fans that care (including me) and the players/coaches that care. But the games don't determine anything close to a national champion. Bottom line is they exist because people enjoy the ballgames. "Meaningless" points toward the end result of the game having no impact on a national title. All but 1-2 bowl games per year fit that defintion every year since the bowls began, and the playoff won't change that. If CFB went to 16- or 24-team playoff, some bowl games would disappear, but there would still be some left.

I don't mean to degrade any bowls or post season play outside of the national title chase in any sport, but to the fans of the sport at-large, the games are fun but meaningless overall. Still worth playing in my book.

Basically,after one defeat,all college games played afterward will become meaningless,without bowls as an incentive. Under the kind of playoff sought by some fans, iowa could have just cancelled the season last year after losing in 3OTs to ISU in Ames. We would never make that 16 team playoff,even winning the Big Ten,because our SOS would not be high enough. Just cancel the season after a loss...I mean,the games are meaningless without a shot at that one big game at the end of the year anyway,right? Forget enjoying the games for the games themselves,none of it means anything unless you are goiing to win the National Title Playoff!

Ask Matt Gatens how meaningless the NIT is

Weak and not what he meant I dont think. Meaningless to the landscape of college basketball.

Of course it isnt meaningless to a kid that had to endure the type of career that Gatens did. But Im guessing the people that are making these types of decisions arent considering how meaningful the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is to a 5th year senior at Oregon State.

A bit surprised by this post by you Jon. To be honest it seems like a Clone mentality. Basing your opinion of what is best simply based on how it affects your team? I find it to be akin to them saying that Iowa was responsible for trying to force the B10 to let ISU into the B10 when the Big 12 was crumbling. Crowning a true champion is the right thing to do because....it's the right thing to do, regardless of how it affects Iowa. This isn't little league. Not everybody's kid gets to play shortstop. This is college football. Determining a champion of such a major sport on a piece of paper is absolutely ludacris. The bowl system is a complete joke outside of maybe 6-8 bowls. My hope is this is only the beginning and that it expands to either an 8 or 16 team playoff.

Terrible post. The idiotic "not everybody's kid gets to play shortstop" argument should be made against your stupid 16-team playoff. The best team in the country is not the 16th best team in the country. Why should they get a shot at the championship? Fortunately, more teams will get participation ribbons in your scenario.

Also laughable is your "This is college football" line. It *was* college football, but ADHD fans want to turn it into something else. Unfortunately, they've succeeded. Hopefully it stays at four teams, and isn't ruined further by expanding to eight or 16.

Basically,after one defeat,all college games played afterward will become meaningless,without bowls as an incentive. Under the kind of playoff sought by some fans, iowa could have just cancelled the season last year after losing in 3OTs to ISU in Ames. We would never make that 16 team playoff,even winning the Big Ten,because our SOS would not be high enough. Just cancel the season after a loss...I mean,the games are meaningless without a shot at that one big game at the end of the year anyway,right? Forget enjoying the games for the games themselves,none of it means anything unless you are goiing to win the National Title Playoff!

Have you ever watched a high school football game? How about Division III or FCS? Did you watch the Iowa-Minnesota game last year?

It turns out players like to win. They don't need made up bowl games to motivate them. If you need the possibility of a trip to the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl to get motivated to play, find a different sport. The same goes for fans-- I'll watch every Iowa game regardless of what's on the line, because it's fun, and I want to beat whoever we play. To be honest, if more of the talk was about what actually happens on the field, and less was about which bowl reps were seen at which stadium and who has the better "resume," I'd probably be pretty damn excited.

Terrible post. The idiotic "not everybody's kid gets to play shortstop" argument should be made against your stupid 16-team playoff. The best team in the country is not the 16th best team in the country. Why should they get a shot at the championship? Fortunately, more teams will get participation ribbons in your scenario.

Also laughable is your "This is college football" line. It *was* college football, but ADHD fans want to turn it into something else. Unfortunately, they've succeeded. Hopefully it stays at four teams, and isn't ruined further by expanding to eight or 16.

Im guessing you hate March Madness as well then.

As opposed to 72 teams (36 bowls) or whatever it is now getting participation ribbons by playing in bowl games. Yes, 16 is too many, but 8 is not if conference champions are involved, not some bias selection committee basing it off of bias pollsters.

As opposed to 72 teams (36 bowls) or whatever it is now getting participation ribbons by playing in bowl games. Yes, 16 is too many, but 8 is not if conference champions are involved, not some bias selection committee basing it off of bias pollsters.

Worst idea yet.

If these teams are so undeserving, than why not demonstrate it on the field? High school teams don't seem to have any problem doing this. Division III teams don't seem to have any problem doing this. FCS teams don't seem to have any problems doing this. But for some reason the idea that mighty Alabama or Ohio State might have to actually stoop to Boise State's level and beat them is seen as sacreligious. What a bunch of whiny babies.

If these teams are so undeserving, than why not demonstrate it on the field? High school teams don't seem to have any problem doing this. Division III teams don't seem to have any problem doing this. FCS teams don't seem to have any problems doing this. But for some reason the idea that mighty Alabama or Ohio State might have to actually stoop to Boise State's level and beat them is seen as sacreligious. What a bunch of whiny babies.

If you like High school, Division III, and FCS football so much, you should watch those games.

If they do the 4 team playoff, you might as well just cancel the rest of the bowls, they will mean less than they currently do now. Either do a full playoff like 1AA or don't do them at all. Cant have it both ways.

Olive,

Stop using a well thought out logical arguement against posters using emotional thoughts because they fear the changes happening in college football. It is useless.

You're better off making emotional, unfounded, worthless statements like:

"Bowls suck"

Here's why this doesn't bother me, provided it's done right: The NCAA basketball selection committee spends a couple of days working on selecting a field. There are athletic directors, SIDs, conference commissioners, and all other sorts of folks who you could accuse of being biased involved. And some of their decisions prove to be hugely controversial, especially determining the last few spots in the field and some seeding for smaller conference schools.

But when was the last time you saw a huge controversy about the #1 seeds? More often than not, four teams separate themselves from the rest of the field pretty cleanly. Maybe, at most, there are six teams under consideration, but you can always point to something that one of those teams didn't do to lock up a spot. If the field expands to eight, I think it's even clearer-- you might have some questions about the seventh and eighth team, but you have no doubt you got the five or six teams that should contend for a title in there.

I just don't think it's going to be that hard to choose four teams. Last year's selection committee would have needed about five seconds to come up with LSU, Alabama, OK State, and Oregon.

Last edited:
If they do the 4 team playoff, you might as well just cancel the rest of the bowls, they will mean less than they currently do now. Either do a full playoff like 1AA or don't do them at all. Cant have it both ways.

What's changing with all the non-BCS bowls that will make it different and mean less? I would like to know so I can be prepared.

Latest posts