Why Iowa Fans Shouldn't Care about a CFB Playoff.....

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
and why the bowls DO Matter:

Don't Buy 'The Bowls Don't Matter' Hype | Hawkeye Nation

College football is very, very close to a 'playoff'. It's going to consist of four teams and those teams will come from a selection committee of some type and size.

On Monday night, twitter was awash with some media folks celebrating this as the dawning of a new age...justice in the world...the most popular sport behind the NFL finally catching up with the times and other blather.

I have never been a proponent of an FBS level playoff and can take or leave this four-team option. To me, four is better than six or eight or 16 or 32 but not as desirable as the way things were back in the 1980's when it was all about wining and dining the bowl reps.

Of course, I am of that opinion because the old system was very good to the Iowa football program thanks to its rabid fan support. I haven't cared about 'crowning a true champion' because my favorite team would have only been in the season ending Top Four debate two times since 1960.

Yes, TWO TIMES since the 1960.

The first instance would have been in 1985, when Iowa ended the regular season with a record of 10-1. The Hawks spent five weeks atop the AP Poll that season before losing to Ohio State. They dropped to 6th after that loss but settled at #4 in the December 15th poll, the last one before the bowl games. Iowa likely would have made it into a Top Four playoff setting that season.

The other season would have been in 2002, where Iowa was ranked 3rd in the AP Poll after the regular season, but 5th in the final BCS poll. USC was ranked 4th and it would have been one of those two schools as the fourth and final team in a playoff that year. You could have made a strong case for either school. Perhaps Iowa would have gotten the nod, perhaps not. I would have loved to have seen Iowa play anyone in the nation at the end of that season and the Hawks likely would have played against #1 Miami in a four team tournament, if the 1 seed played the 4 seed.

That's it, however. Those are your two years where Iowa would have factored into the Top Four debate. 1991 you say, when Iowa was 10-1 at the end of the year? They were ranked 7th in the last regular season AP Poll that year.

If you have another year you'd like to debate about, check out Iowa's AP Poll history at this link, which is what the links above are related to.

So again, I am not dancing in the streets over the Top Four FBS playoff notion because it only would have mattered twice in my lifetime. That's two years out of 41. Sure, Iowa could have won it in both of those years and had it done so, it might have changed the fortunes of Iowa football forever...or at least offered up a nice boost.

THAT is the dangling carrot which many fans cling to...or some just have a burning desire to see things played off. That ain't me.

Has the lack of a playoff stopped you from watching bowl games your team is not involved with? My guess the answer to that question for most of you reading this is no. If you think a Final Four in football is going to have the same appeal that the NCAA basketball tournament has, you are kidding yourself. That event is unlike anything else in sports. The primary reason, in my opinion, is because everyone is involved, whether or not your team is in the thing or not. Most everyone I know fills out a bracket and is in some sort of competition pool...either for money, pride or both. I have been filling out brackets since 1983 when I pulled the insert out of my Sport Illustrated, sponsored by Camel Cigarettes.

For several years after that, my dad would bring home a blank piece of poster board and I would get out a ruler and pencil and create my own 3'x5' bracket and hang it in my room, meticulously filling in each team as they advanced...until my little brother would come in with his chicken scratch handwriting and ruin it by scribbling in 'NOVA' or 'CUSE'. He took a few beatings for that.

Here is the truth; people will still watch a good football game. For those pundits saying that the bowl season has been meaningless or will be rendered more so with a final four, I just don't buy it. Yes, I realize that TV viewership of bowl games last year dipped to an all time BCS era low. More people work two jobs than ever before. There are more things to watch on TV and our kid are involved in too damned many activities to where we don't know if we are coming and going. I also realize that TV ratings for college football's regular season are as high as ever and networks are tripping over one another to give conferences billion dollar TV contracts.

The Final Four will probably be very entertaining and I will certainly watch, but I will watch the other bowl games, too. I will watch a Baylor-Washington Alamo Bowl because of the players involved. For a game that allegedly didn't matter, it was one of the most entertaining college football contests of the 2011 season and drew a monster rating. Stanford-Oklahoma State in the Fiesta was wildly entertaining and went to overtime. That was a 3 v 4 matchup and the ratings for that game were up over 50% from the previous years Fiesta Bowl.

Let me circle back around to a previous comment, related to last year's bowl ratings being the lowest (collectively) of the BCS era...

First, there are too many bowl games...too many duds. Get rid of 10 or so bowl games and anything played before December 27th. Next, every one of the BCS bowls was broadcast on cable television, specifically, ESPN. While ESPN reaches 100 million homes, the over the air major networks reach 114 million.

In 2009, Texas-Alabama drew 17.2% of all television households. That game was broadcast on ABC. If that rating would ever be matched by a game broadcast on ESPN, it would be the highest rated program in the history of cable television. So yeah, ratings are dipping because we are not comparing apples to apples here; more games, and more marquee games are being shown on cable which means fewer viewers.

If your favorite team is playing in a bowl game, you are going to either watch it in person or watch it on television. It's not meaningless, which means the bowl system is not meaningless. It has meaning for every fanbase whose teams are involved. Some bowl games are more meaningful than others, but I have a hard time believing that an real fan of a football team would choose not to watch a bowl game involving their team if it doesn't reach a certain 'give a darn' threshold.

If you are a hardcore fan, you are watching. If you are not watching, you just aren't hardcore.

So bring on the Final Four, I guess. I will watch it and be entertained. However, I will also be entertained by at least half of the so called 'meaningless' bowl games that will be played in December and January.

So those 2 times....it's better to play in the Rose Bowl or some random BCS type bowl game than be included in the CFB Final Four?

Again, Delaney won't let the Rose Bowl leave the B1G. I love college football's regular season....but their post season does not need to continue being the laughing stock of all sports.

Also Jon, the BCS is terrible and has killed my enthusiasm for bowl games. I had no interest in watching a rematch for the NC this year. Also, try watching any Orange Bowl the last few years besides when Iowa plays in them...brutal.
Also, things aren't changing because it's the right thing to do. Changes are happening because attendance and tv ratings are way down. This final four idea is going to be a huge money maker for everyone involved.

I agree Jon. This playoff is for CFB elite only. We will rarely if ever participate. It's the same story with Iowa and an expanded Bigten. The bigger the league, the less relevant Iowa becomes.

So since 1960 we have played for the National Title exactly 0 times, but under this current proposal we would have had the oppurtunity to play in a 4 team tournament for a chance to win the National Title 2 times in the same time frame.

Why wouldnt you be for this?

It is very unlikely that Iowa is ever going to be 13-0 going into the bowl season.

It is more likely that Iowa gets through the regular season with 1 loss and wins the B1G title game. Call me crazy but I dont think a 12-1 team from the B1G would ever get left out of this 4 team playoff.

So I guess as Iowa fans we shouldn't enjoy March madness either since our past entrance into the final four has been lacking.

Four teams is a joke. They need to go to at least an 8-team playoff format...(preferably 16-team down the road)...in order to make it a legit "playoff" imo.

Obviously, the more teams involved, the better Iowa's chances (along with other mid-level programs) would be to make it in from time to time.

I agree Jon. This playoff is for CFB elite only. We will rarely if ever participate. It's the same story with Iowa and an expanded Bigten. The bigger the league, the less relevant Iowa becomes.

Wow, is that where we are as fans right now? We don't like a system that rewards the best teams, because we don't think we're good enough?

I'm sorry, but a lot of these reactions come off as really petulant and defeatist to me. So Iowa would have only qualified for a playoff twice in the last 50 years? Maybe they should have played better. No one can say they haven't had opportunities-- in 2009, 2002, 1991, 1985-- to win games that would have put them firmly in a top-4 playoff, no questions asked. They didn't. I would rather see that get decided on the field than by wining and dining bowl reps, talking heads on ESPN, and on the "reputation" of a conference. I can't help but think that this entire conversation would be different among Hawk fans had we gone undefeated in 2009 (not a far-fetched scenario), because there was no way we were going to the title game that season, 12-0 or not. Does that seem fair to anyone? Because that's the system college football is finally starting to evolve away from. I just don't get the nostalgia for it.

Four teams is a joke. They need to go to at least an 8-team playoff format...(preferably 16-team down the road)...in order to make it a legit "playoff" imo.

Obviously, the more teams involved, the better Iowa's chances (along with other mid-level programs) would be to make it in from time to time.

I would love 8...still think 16 is too many.

Whatever the number I hope they never go to auto bids for conference champs, especially now since they all have a conference title game, except the Big 12. Last thing I want to see is an 8-5 Wake Forest in an 8 team tourney because they won a weak division and pulled off a shocker in their conference title game.

Never once did it cross my mind that Iowa would be affected by the change at the championship level. They only way I get more excited about it is if they move to an 8 team playoff, at which point, Iowa may have a chance to participate once every 15 years. At a four team playoff the only schools you will see are Florida, Bama, LSU, Texas, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma, tOSU, and Michigan.

So those 2 times....it's better to play in the Rose Bowl or some random BCS type bowl game than be included in the CFB Final Four?

Again, Delaney won't let the Rose Bowl leave the B1G. I love college football's regular season....but their post season does not need to continue being the laughing stock of all sports.

1. Delany is letting the Rose Bowl go away from the Big Ten 50% of the time under this proposal,and the other 50%,it might not feature the winnners of the Big Ten and Pac 10. And in the years the Rose Bowl is not a semi-final, will the attention on it be the same? No way. It becomes a bit player to the sacred ''playoff game'' in the Orange and Fiesta/Sugar.
The Rose Bowl-Big Ten relationship has been eroded by the BCS,we all know that, but this is a chance to reclaim it,with the Plus One system. Every Big Ten player,coach and fan will know exactly what they are playing for each year...that bid to the Rose Bowl. If they win that,maybe something good will happen and they get the bid to the title game,but the goal will remain the same every year...get to the Rose Bowl.

2. You prefer degrading the regular season,like in college bb? Me, I prefer a strong Sept-December, vs two weeks of artificial frenzy as we watch SEC and Big 12 superprograms square off every year. Yea,gators and tide!
Who is laughing about the current postseason? The Media,who stand to profit from a playoff. ESPN. NFL fans like Dan Wetzel.

Why has college football become popular at all if it has such a laughable postseason? Why were ratings for the Insight Bowl up 34% last year?
Because fans really relished the prospect of OK vs Iowa,I guess.
If you really like watching college football,why do bowl matchups like this not spark your interest? As has been said a million times,the controversy related to not having a 120 team playoff that only could determine the
blessed ''true champion'' has always kept college football stoked, the debates hot, the game on the front page. Silence all that, and you have what? Not much.

I think this is coming. Look at the history of the basketball tournament. Once they see how much interest and money the playoffs generate, they'll go to 8 teams. I'd set the over/under on 2018.

With the playoff in place the cheaters will continue to prosper while those hampered by academics and ethics will continue to be also rans. Nothing really changes except for the details.

and why the bowls DO Matter:

Don't Buy 'The Bowls Don't Matter' Hype | Hawkeye Nation

College football is very, very close to a 'playoff'. It's going to consist of four teams and those teams will come from a selection committee of some type and size.

On Monday night, twitter was awash with some media folks celebrating this as the dawning of a new age...justice in the world...the most popular sport behind the NFL finally catching up with the times and other blather.

I have never been a proponent of an FBS level playoff and can take or leave this four-team option. To me, four is better than six or eight or 16 or 32 but not as desirable as the way things were back in the 1980's when it was all about wining and dining the bowl reps.

Of course, I am of that opinion because the old system was very good to the Iowa football program thanks to its rabid fan support. I haven't cared about 'crowning a true champion' because my favorite team would have only been in the season ending Top Four debate two times since 1960.

Yes, TWO TIMES since the 1960.

The first instance would have been in 1985, when Iowa ended the regular season with a record of 10-1. The Hawks spent five weeks atop the AP Poll that season before losing to Ohio State. They dropped to 6th after that loss but settled at #4 in the December 15th poll, the last one before the bowl games. Iowa likely would have made it into a Top Four playoff setting that season.

The other season would have been in 2002, where Iowa was ranked 3rd in the AP Poll after the regular season, but 5th in the final BCS poll. USC was ranked 4th and it would have been one of those two schools as the fourth and final team in a playoff that year. You could have made a strong case for either school. Perhaps Iowa would have gotten the nod, perhaps not. I would have loved to have seen Iowa play anyone in the nation at the end of that season and the Hawks likely would have played against #1 Miami in a four team tournament, if the 1 seed played the 4 seed.

That's it, however. Those are your two years where Iowa would have factored into the Top Four debate. 1991 you say, when Iowa was 10-1 at the end of the year? They were ranked 7th in the last regular season AP Poll that year.

If you have another year you'd like to debate about, check out Iowa's AP Poll history at this link, which is what the links above are related to.

So again, I am not dancing in the streets over the Top Four FBS playoff notion because it only would have mattered twice in my lifetime. That's two years out of 41. Sure, Iowa could have won it in both of those years and had it done so, it might have changed the fortunes of Iowa football forever...or at least offered up a nice boost.

THAT is the dangling carrot which many fans cling to...or some just have a burning desire to see things played off. That ain't me.

Has the lack of a playoff stopped you from watching bowl games your team is not involved with? My guess the answer to that question for most of you reading this is no. If you think a Final Four in football is going to have the same appeal that the NCAA basketball tournament has, you are kidding yourself. That event is unlike anything else in sports. The primary reason, in my opinion, is because everyone is involved, whether or not your team is in the thing or not. Most everyone I know fills out a bracket and is in some sort of competition pool...either for money, pride or both. I have been filling out brackets since 1983 when I pulled the insert out of my Sport Illustrated, sponsored by Camel Cigarettes.

For several years after that, my dad would bring home a blank piece of poster board and I would get out a ruler and pencil and create my own 3'x5' bracket and hang it in my room, meticulously filling in each team as they advanced...until my little brother would come in with his chicken scratch handwriting and ruin it by scribbling in 'NOVA' or 'CUSE'. He took a few beatings for that.

Here is the truth; people will still watch a good football game. For those pundits saying that the bowl season has been meaningless or will be rendered more so with a final four, I just don't buy it. Yes, I realize that TV viewership of bowl games last year dipped to an all time BCS era low. More people work two jobs than ever before. There are more things to watch on TV and our kid are involved in too damned many activities to where we don't know if we are coming and going. I also realize that TV ratings for college football's regular season are as high as ever and networks are tripping over one another to give conferences billion dollar TV contracts.

The Final Four will probably be very entertaining and I will certainly watch, but I will watch the other bowl games, too. I will watch a Baylor-Washington Alamo Bowl because of the players involved. For a game that allegedly didn't matter, it was one of the most entertaining college football contests of the 2011 season and drew a monster rating. Stanford-Oklahoma State in the Fiesta was wildly entertaining and went to overtime. That was a 3 v 4 matchup and the ratings for that game were up over 50% from the previous years Fiesta Bowl.

Let me circle back around to a previous comment, related to last year's bowl ratings being the lowest (collectively) of the BCS era...

First, there are too many bowl games...too many duds. Get rid of 10 or so bowl games and anything played before December 27th. Next, every one of the BCS bowls was broadcast on cable television, specifically, ESPN. While ESPN reaches 100 million homes, the over the air major networks reach 114 million.

In 2009, Texas-Alabama drew 17.2% of all television households. That game was broadcast on ABC. If that rating would ever be matched by a game broadcast on ESPN, it would be the highest rated program in the history of cable television. So yeah, ratings are dipping because we are not comparing apples to apples here; more games, and more marquee games are being shown on cable which means fewer viewers.

If your favorite team is playing in a bowl game, you are going to either watch it in person or watch it on television. It's not meaningless, which means the bowl system is not meaningless. It has meaning for every fanbase whose teams are involved. Some bowl games are more meaningful than others, but I have a hard time believing that an real fan of a football team would choose not to watch a bowl game involving their team if it doesn't reach a certain 'give a darn' threshold.

If you are a hardcore fan, you are watching. If you are not watching, you just aren't hardcore.

So bring on the Final Four, I guess. I will watch it and be entertained. However, I will also be entertained by at least half of the so called 'meaningless' bowl games that will be played in December and January.

The bolded statement is laughable. College Basketball is a dead stick, has been for 15 years, and is now sinking in the mud.

College football is second only to the NFL in this country. The ratings and interest of a playoff will blow the basketball F4 out of the water.

Just because a crap load of females and office nerds who have no clue about sports, don't watch any games in the tourny, & fill out a bracket on the off chance that they discover that in early April they lucked their *** off and won a pool doesn't mean the care about basketball. They simply care about gambling.

Never once did it cross my mind that Iowa would be affected by the change at the championship level. They only way I get more excited about it is if they move to an 8 team playoff, at which point, Iowa may have a chance to participate once every 15 years. At a four team playoff the only schools you will see are Florida, Bama, LSU, Texas, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma, tOSU, and Michigan.

Yeah, because Texas, Florida and Michigan have all been so dominant as of late.

Actually, Im guessing none of those teams would have played in an 8 team playoff the last 5 years in a row, I could be wrong on one or two though. You will see different teams all the time.

Here is more. Look at the chart below. I have looked at every Big Ten team's polling since 1981. Between 1981 to 1997 I used the last AP Poll of the regular season and the one before bowl games and noted when a Big Ten team was ranked and where they were ranked. I included teams who had a Top 4, 5 & 6 ranking as being in the debate for the 4th playoff spot. From 1998 through 2011, I used the final BCS poll and included the same 1 through 6 designations.

Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Minnesota and Northwestern never achieved a Top 6 ranking in any of these years. Wisconsin and Illinois did so just one time, Iowa twice. Nebraska's last instance of being in this mix was 1999. Penn State was in this mix just one time since joining the Big Ten conference. Michigan was in this mix just two times since the start of the BCS era.

I used 1981 as the start point because that was the year Iowa broke through the 'Big Two and Little Eight' barrier in the league.

B1G-IN-TOP-SIX.jpg

Four teams is a joke. They need to go to at least an 8-team playoff format...(preferably 16-team down the road)...in order to make it a legit "playoff=" imo_Obviously, the more teams involved, the better Iowa's chances (along with other mid-level programs) would be to make it in from time to time.
=

This is where I am at too.

At least with a four team playoff the odds of another undefeated Auburn not getting their shot is reduced.

Wow, is that where we are as fans right now? We don't like a system that rewards the best teams, because we don't think we're good enough?

I'm sorry, but a lot of these reactions come off as really petulant and defeatist to me. So Iowa would have only qualified for a playoff twice in the last 50 years? Maybe they should have played better. No one can say they haven't had opportunities-- in 2009, 2002, 1991, 1985-- to win games that would have put them firmly in a top-4 playoff, no questions asked. They didn't. I would rather see that get decided on the field than by wining and dining bowl reps, talking heads on ESPN, and on the "reputation" of a conference. I can't help but think that this entire conversation would be different among Hawk fans had we gone undefeated in 2009 (not a far-fetched scenario), because there was no way we were going to the title game that season, 12-0 or not. Does that seem fair to anyone? Because that's the system college football is finally starting to evolve away from. I just don't get the nostalgia for it.

In a Plus One, if Iowa was undefeated in 2009,we go to the Rose Bowl,if we win that we play the winner of Bama and Texas (Champions or Sugar Bowl) in the Title game. Iowa gets their shot,but also gets to be Rose Bowl Champs....what is wrong with that?

So since 1960 we have played for the National Title exactly 0 times, but under this current proposal we would have had the oppurtunity to play in a 4 team tournament for a chance to win the National Title 2 times in the same time frame.

Why wouldnt you be for this?

One time for sure, the 2002 instance would have been a debate. Iowa was 5th and USC 4th. I think one of those two teams would have been in, but can't just assume it would have been Iowa.

I am not AGAINST this system, just not giddy about it and not exactly my preference.

Four is better than 8 IMO because Four is likely going to keep out the likes of Boise State whom I do not believe is deserving given the regular season schedule they play...or dont play.

Latest posts