Why I'm Worried. Convince me I'm wrong.

From my observation, Barta is an idiot for having the inability to look at the facts on paper...instead he likes to see how well someone can interview...that way he can say he got a "warm-fuzzy" feeling while he interviewed that candidate.

+1,000

I don't think I could've said this any better myself. The minute I heard about this, I went and checked out his background myself and came to the exact same conclusions. Sure seems funny no other BCS level programs were interested in this guy until us. I hope I'm horribly wrong, but I think Barta whiffed big time on this hire.

Actually, Seton Hall and St. John's apparently were very interested in hiring him.

Let's face it. There was nobody that Barta REALISTICALLY could have hired that would have the majority of Hawk fans dancing in the streets.

That's what happens when you have the worst three-year stretch in your program's history. Not to mention a place that previously pushed its all-time winningest coach out the door.

I was on board with Brian Gregory. Guy has charisma, energy, HC and AC experience, NBA talent, Big Ten recruiting experience and nationally ranked recruits.

That's great you were on board with Gregory... The question was he on board with Iowa? My guess is no.

What was Ferentz's record at Maine? Many successful people failed early on (if you define his earlier stints as failure) before being wildly successful. Sometimes people actually learn from their mistakes and improve from them.

Just look at Steve Alford.

Don't even try to compare this guy to Kirk Ferentz. Kirk spent about 10 years at Iowa as an assistant to Hayden Fry. He spent 3 years under Bill Belichick in the NFL. Those are some pretty damn impressive mentors. This guy's top mentor...friggin' Digger Phelps. Case Closed.

I get the feeling that unless I tell you Kirk Speraw or Dana Altman, that you will just say "Why would that coach come to Iowa?", so I won't even bother giving you names.

Let's just say that I think it shouldn't have been a lifetime mid-major guy. McCaffery was given his first head coaching job in 1985, and is just now getting a BCS level job.
Aren't Kirk and Dana lifetime midmajor guys?

Don't even try to compare this guy to Kirk Ferentz. Kirk spent about 10 years at Iowa as an assistant to Hayden Fry. He spent 3 years under Bill Belichick in the NFL. Those are some pretty damn impressive mentors. This guy's top mentor...friggin' Digger Phelps. Case Closed.

This and the fact that Kirk coaches FOOTBALL NOT BASKETBALL!! Stop this comparing! Basketball needs players that can make an immediate impact with such small rosters. Football can take more time to develop players given the larger rosters and depth at positions. I could go on and on about this but I don't want to waste my time with this ridiculous argument.

He left UNCG because the administartion did not support the program finacially. They placed soccer at a higher importance. He is a good coach and relates to players well. I played on the practice team for him when i was at UNCG. If he can get the players he will be successful. For what he was given at UNCG he worked miracles

Aren't Kirk and Dana lifetime midmajor guys?

Yep. Those are not guys who were on my list though - sorry if that was misunderstood. I would have been just as PO'ed over those hires.

My point was that those were the only types of names I thought some people would accept as "realistic" candidates.

Honestly, after hiring mid-major coaches who seemed to have more success at their previous jobs and the then having them struggle I understand people's skepticism. But I hope people don't rule him out because he coached a mid-major. Lots of great coaches started at a small school. And I'm sure some struggled there.

Bill Self was 55-54 at Oral Roberts (albeit they were independent and it's tough to win at an independent)

Ben Howland had a handful of years as a head coach experience before Pittsburgh hired him. Two of those years with Northern Arizona were awful and McCaffery's years at Siena were better record wise.

Billy Donovan was ok but not impressive at Marshall for two years before Florida hired him.

Tubby Smith's years at Tulsa are comparable to Siena's record wise (alhtough in probably a better conference.)

Gary Williams had a comparable level of success at American before Boston College hired him

Scott Drew had a decent year at Valpo before going to Baylor and having success.

So there is precedence for people like McCafferey (if not less successful) having success at big time schools.

Hiring a coach really is a crapshoot and let's hope the dice rolls our way this time.

Honestly, after hiring mid-major coaches who seemed to have more success at their previous jobs and the then having them struggle I understand people's skepticism. But I hope people don't rule him out because he coached a mid-major. Lots of great coaches started at a small school. And I'm sure some struggled there.

Bill Self was 55-54 at Oral Roberts (albeit they were independent and it's tough to win at an independent)

Ben Howland had a handful of years as a head coach experience before Pittsburgh hired him. Two of those years with Northern Arizona were awful and McCaffery's years at Siena were better record wise.

Billy Donovan was ok but not impressive at Marshall for two years before Florida hired him.

Tubby Smith's years at Tulsa are comparable to Siena's record wise (alhtough in probably a better conference.)

Gary Williams had a comparable level of success at American before Boston College hired him

Scott Drew had a decent year at Valpo before going to Baylor and having success.

So there is precedence for people like McCafferey (if not less successful) having success at big time schools.

Hiring a coach really is a crapshoot and let's hope the dice rolls our way this time.

Good post! I agree.

1977Hawkeye...

I totally support your concerns with this HIRE... Lick couldnt get away from recruiting mid-major level talent... i hope there is a Coaching Basketball In A Major Conference for Idiots book some place that we can hand this guy tomorrow so he can read it and understand that mid-major talent cant and wont win Big Ten games. or give him Lick's phone number and have him explain it to him..

im sorry but the talent pool this guy has swam in for the last 10+ years is Top DII/Lucky to be DI talent.. and you can win with that in the MAAC or at BUTLER.. but this is IOWA and that will not cut it..

I've never seen a coach who has missed the NCAA tournament five out of seven seasons get so much love as Gregory.

Bo Ryan was 30-27 at a D-1 school before Wisconsin hired him and never sniffed the tourny in two years.

Jay Wright made the tournament 2 out of 7 years at Hofstra before Villanova hired him.

Yes, Fran is going to have to earn his stripes and there are probably way more failures then their are successes because it's hard to coach college basketball well. But there are precedences for guys like him succeeding and to rule him out because he coached Siena is a mistake.

Latest posts