Why Gessell?

It really is a fifty-fifty proposition.

Umm. With Gesell it is 90-10 at best.

There is a reason good ft shooters try to get the ball at the end of the game, or better 3 point shooters take more 3s. It is about putting your players in position to do what they do best. For some unknown reason Fran thinks this will work or he is too clueless to do something different,

th
So boring !

What he does or doesn't call from the bench...I don't know. Your observations are solid and you may be 100% correct. But that's not the point.

What ever he's doing in these game situations ISN'T WORKING...and worse yet, it isn't working with a Senior-heavy lineup. So why does he keep doing it?

Coaching, baby. Coaching.

So if you have 4 seniors that are so mentally effed from losing close games their whole career, what do you suggest Fran can do. I highly doubt Fran is calling the exact same thing every time. But it LOOKS like he's calling the exact same thing because it always breaks down the exact same way.

Fran has 2 options. One is pull all your seniors and replace them with players that have zero play time in D1 end of game situations. The other is just run your normal offense and risk the other team having a chance to score at the end. Remember that Fran took heat last year for running the last second play too early and giving the other team time to score. It happened twice. One was ISU but I can't remember the other one.

I think Gesell should keep the ball till about 7 seconds then Uthoff should come get the ball and shoot a contested deep shot. That's better than trying to bring Uthoff and Jok off screens at this point.

There is a reason good ft shooters try to get the ball at the end of the game, or better 3 point shooters take more 3s. It is about putting your players in position to do what they do best. For some unknown reason Fran thinks this will work or he is too clueless to do something different,

Except when Uthoff gets the ball he immediately passes the ball back to Gesell. Iowa's three point shooters disappear in crunch time & miss free throws.

You guys keep thinking Fran never does anything different. All you guys see is Mike has the ball, Mike takes the shot, Mike misses the shot.

You guys keep thinking Fran never does anything different. All you guys see is Mike has the ball, Mike takes the shot, Mike misses the shot.

The result is the result. At this point I would take anyone with the ball in this situation other than Gesell.

Going into last possession with game tied MG is 0-7 from the floor including (he passed up numerous open looks) and he is asked to take the last shot? I understand he tries hard and is a great student, but he has zero confidence in his shot and has proven time and again to be a poor choice in this kind of spot, yet he is still asked by his Coach to make it happen.

WHY Fran?

Now we we all get to celebrate his air ball (0-8) was caught and a bucket made before time expired after blowing a 5 point lead in the last minute.

Gessel takes the the heat for sucking, but it's his Coach that puts him in that position time and again.

JO and Jok both MIA late, again....

I often wonder if this isn't Ogelsby part deux. Do you think Mike makes every shot during the end of game scenarios, in practice?

I love all these division one coaches on here. What some of you half glass empty guys fail to realize, we built a 13 point lead in the first 10 minutes of the game before Mike left with his 2ND foul. What happens, we give up a good lead.
Mike is lacking confidence, but quit hacking on our guys would ya? None of you played at this level and it gets really f#! $@^g old seeing this garbage on here. Go to your local bar and ***** all day long.

Going into last possession with game tied MG is 0-7 from the floor including (he passed up numerous open looks) and he is asked to take the last shot? I understand he tries hard and is a great student, but he has zero confidence in his shot and has proven time and again to be a poor choice in this kind of spot, yet he is still asked by his Coach to make it happen.

WHY Fran?

Now we we all get to celebrate his air ball (0-8) was caught and a bucket made before time expired after blowing a 5 point lead in the last minute.

Gessel takes the the heat for sucking, but it's his Coach that puts him in that position time and again.

JO and Jok both MIA late, again....

Word-for-word, perfect post.

Short answer: Who in Hades knows, aside from Fran?

[/U]

This sums it up pretty well imo. This and the fact that every team scout on the planet knows Iowa would LIKE to have Uthoff or Jok take the last shot. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the opposing team for taking those two away at the end of a game. Often it's not as easy as we think to get open as a player...or get a player open as a team.

<<Often it's not as easy as we think to get open as a player...or get a player open as a team.>>

Thus the idea of what's known as a "screen"...

I love all these division one coaches on here. What some of you half glass empty guys fail to realize, we built a 13 point lead in the first 10 minutes of the game before Mike left with his 2ND foul. What happens, we give up a good lead.
Mike is lacking confidence, but quit hacking on our guys would ya? None of you played at this level and it gets really f#! $@^g old seeing this garbage on here. Go to your local bar and ***** all day long.

A great point, actually. As the PG, MG is the most "visible", and catches the most focus, especially when the result is "bad". But we forget the intangibles he brings, as well as the leadership.

Still, if we accept the premise that he is "forced" into this at the end, he needs to kick JU or Jok in the mini-Spaldings and MAKE them take the ball. That, or yell out loud to Woody, "I'm shooting, park your a&& under there and poke out the nearest eye!" Could make for an entertaining and (potentially) successful situation!

There is a "good" screen". If properly executed, darn near ANY player CAN get open. Assuming he WANTS to badly enough...
'If properly executed' is the operative with ANY sports play I suppose. It bolsters my point in that it's a lot harder to execute a play 'properly' than the casual fan realizes. Were that not the case, teams would be scoring well over 50% of their offensive possessions...and to my knowledge, there aren't many of those out there.

Latest posts