Why Gessell?

It seems like when we play for the last shot, we wait until there is about 5 seconds left on the clock, then MG ends up throwing up a horse shot attempt. I though you started to go with about 9-10 secs left.

It seems like when we play for the last shot, we wait until there is about 5 seconds left on the clock, then MG ends up throwing up a horse shot attempt. I though you started to go with about 9-10 secs left.

I just wish they stop that crap and run their normal offense at least then you have a 35% chance to score. It lacks reason, logic, rational, and strategy to go with less than ten seconds on the clocks. This allows the defense to rest and then at ten seconds lock down defensively because even an idiot knows the shot is coming with two passes at the very most but probably just time for one pass.

Also I would like to see a coach put on the press with a three point lead and force the opponent to struggle to get the ball up the floor. So what if you foul with a few seconds on the clock. The other team is then forced to try to make the first free throw and then deliberately miss the second one and get off a shot. The chances of that happening are extremely remote.

Going into last possession with game tied MG is 0-7 from the floor including (he passed up numerous open looks) and he is asked to take the last shot? I understand he tries hard and is a great student, but he has zero confidence in his shot and has proven time and again to be a poor choice in this kind of spot, yet he is still asked by his Coach to make it happen.

WHY Fran?

Now we we all get to celebrate his air ball (0-8) was caught and a bucket made before time expired after blowing a 5 point lead in the last minute.

Gessel takes the the heat for sucking, but it's his Coach that puts him in that position time and again.

JO and Jok both MIA late, again....

Apparently you haven't listened to any of the post game interviews here on HN. Woody said the play broke down and Mike had to make a play. If the play breaks down, why are you blaming Mike or Fran? Mike's waiting to pass to someone else, and your blaming Mike or Fran because his teammate isn't getting open. Wow.

I don't buy the whole "no one else gets open so Mike has to do it himself" argument. That's a load of crap. I've watched the games where this has happened at the end of either half and there are plenty of times someone is open. He isn't looking to pass it half the time or he drives it too deep into the lane so that if he does look to pass it up of course no one is open. He should not be touching the ball with 10 or less seconds left. Period.

Woody has had so many cheap fouls called on him I like the way it played out. A win is a win. The people most upset about this are cyfans whose hopes and dreams rest on IOWA losing.

Apparently you haven't listened to any of the post game interviews here on HN. Woody said the play broke down and Mike had to make a play. If the play breaks down, why are you blaming Mike or Fran? Mike's waiting to pass to someone else, and your blaming Mike or Fran because his teammate isn't getting open. Wow.

They must run that break down play a lot because it is what they do at the end of every half and game.

Mikes broke. Its really sad to watch. Not sure if he's improved much in 4 years.. His shot sure hasnt

He has zero turnovers the entire game. Then starts giving the ball away at the end. He made a dangerous pass to Woody at the free throw line that had huge risk and no reward. It's not like he's trying to thread the needle for a wide open layup. That pass from half court that he turned over might be his dumbest one I've ever seen.

Watching the replay... "Iowa comes down court, 15 seconds left... Fran McCaffrey has 2 timeouts".

What follows? No time out...another lousy shot by the wrong guy.

Yes, we got our miracle....but come on.

Watching the replay... "Iowa comes down court, 15 seconds left... Fran McCaffrey has 2 timeouts".

I'm sure Fran has called in quite a few different plays over the last few years and not a single one has worked. Why do you think calling a timeout and calling the same play would work any better?

I'm sure Fran has called in quite a few different plays over the last few years and not a single one has worked. Why do you think calling a timeout and calling the same play would work any better?

There was a thread (and a rather robust debate) about this recently. A columnist sited stats that showed Fran rarely, if ever, calls timeout in such situations and that his record in those situations was something like 4-11. Not exactly a pattern of success.

If what you're doing doesn't work, try something different. Watching Mike G run the clock down and take a desperation shot certainly hasn't. Last night was the perfect example... fortunately Woody was in position to save the game.

If you're a D1 coach with two shooters like Jok and Uthoff, and don't have some kind of set play to get one of em open for a shot... well, nuff said.

All I ask is to just have uthoff bring the ball up court and dribble the clock out so the ball is already in his hands one time. Can't be worse....

There was a thread (and a rather robust debate) about this recently. A columnist sited stats that showed Fran rarely, if ever, calls timeout in such situations and that his record in those situations was something like 4-11. Not exactly a pattern of success.

If what you're doing doesn't work, try something different. Watching Mike G run the clock down and take a desperation shot certainly hasn't. Last night was the perfect example... fortunately Woody was in position to save the game.

If you're a D1 coach with two shooters like Jok and Uthoff, and don't have some kind of set play to get one of em open for a shot... well, nuff said.

That inbounds play was enough to prove that Fran can draw up something....

Yes something is not working. That something is not calling or not calling timeouts tho. Serious question for you. Do you think Fran isn't telling them a play to run from the bench? If they can't run the play he calls from the bench good enough to get someone open, why do you think they will get open running that same play after a timeout?

They practice the plays they have drawn up during practices. They all know the plays so it's not like he has to draw it up for them so they know what to do. Knowing what to do isn't the problem. The problem is, no one wants the ball. If a play is drawn to get Uthoff open but Uthoff doesn't want to be open, the play will break down and Mike will be forced to throw up a prayer.

Yes something is not working. That something is not calling or not calling timeouts tho. Serious question for you. Do you think Fran isn't telling them a play to run from the bench? If they can't run the play he calls from the bench good enough to get someone open, why do you think they will get open running that same play after a timeout?

They practice the plays they have drawn up during practices. They all know the plays so it's not like he has to draw it up for them so they know what to do. Knowing what to do isn't the problem. The problem is, no one wants the ball. If a play is drawn to get Uthoff open but Uthoff doesn't want to be open, the play will break down and Mike will be forced to throw up a prayer.

What he does or doesn't call from the bench...I don't know. Your observations are solid and you may be 100% correct. But that's not the point.

What ever he's doing in these game situations ISN'T WORKING...and worse yet, it isn't working with a Senior-heavy lineup. So why does he keep doing it?

Coaching, baby. Coaching.

This sums it up pretty well imo. This and the fact that every team scout on the planet knows Iowa would LIKE to have Uthoff or Jok take the last shot. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the opposing team for taking those two away at the end of a game. Often it's not as easy as we think to get open as a player...or get a player open as a team.

Going into last possession with game tied MG is 0-7 from the floor including (he passed up numerous open looks) and he is asked to take the last shot? I understand he tries hard and is a great student, but he has zero confidence in his shot and has proven time and again to be a poor choice in this kind of spot, yet he is still asked by his Coach to make it happen.

WHY Fran?

Now we we all get to celebrate his air ball (0-8) was caught and a bucket made before time expired after blowing a 5 point lead in the last minute.

Gessel takes the the heat for sucking, but it's his Coach that puts him in that position time and again.

JO and Jok both MIA late, again....
Woody said in one of the post game interviews the original play broke down so Mike had to make a quick decision. It all worked out.

Many coaches do not want to call a time out in that situation. Lute was one of them & he took five teams to the Final Four. A time out gives the opposition the ability to make defensive substitutions & reset the defense. It really is a fifty-fifty proposition. My feeling is that you don't take a time out in that situation unless you want to get certain offensive players in the game. It's not like the other team isn't going to make adjustments & substitutions.

Latest posts