Why Fran MUST remain silent

hawkeyebob62

I admit to having negative feelings toward Fran about this. However, in Rob's thread about the Morehouse article, there is a link to a tweet from the father of a recruit. This us a recruit most Hawk fans would love to land, an in-state player rated very highly.

Suffice it to say, Fran DOES have to be cognizant of the "impact"of words, regardless of "intent".

I was wrong to say Fran should be a "stand up guy" un this instance. Regardless of past issues between Fran and Dolph, he has to put players and potential players first.

my guess is Fran and Barta must remain silent to avoid any legal ramifications...ie: Dolph suing the university.

I don't THINK Dolph would ever do that, he loves Iowa too much, but the implication that he might is probably why Barta and Fran are silent right now. My guess is there will be a very large payout coming to Dolph (if there hasn't been already) to avoid any sort of lawsuit. Whats interesting is any sort of settlement or buyout would fall under the FOIA, just like Fran's extension, and so they can't keep it a secret for long

My guess is Dolph definitely sues the U of I - or some sort of settlement is agreed upon before that happens. Just a guess - but I imagine a lot of love that Dolph had for Iowa is now kind of lost. It happens quickly. I don't think he is being treated fairly.

But my points from the get go. We don't get to decide if it's racist or not. That isn't up to us. We see it as harmless - a black SG from New York sees "U of I suspends long time radio broadcaster for racist comments" and he checks our twitter and sees masses of Iowa fans sticking up and supporting Dolph. Who was just labeled a ractist? That recruit doesn't have the same context that Iowa fans do - but that also does not matter. It's what he sees.

Fran shouldn’t have to say anything in my opinion. This is a management matter, a Barta matter. Whether Fran was involved or not, and I don’t have enough information to conclude anything, this is Barta’s doing. He’s so boxed himself in now that he probably has to clam up to avoid legal jeopardy at this point. But a good lawyer would make hay of his silence, too. Ergo, the UI could be writing another check to settle another brewing legal matter brought on by their AD. They’ll only be spared by the loyalty that Dolphin may show to Iowa.

my guess is Fran and Barta must remain silent to avoid any legal ramifications...ie: Dolph suing the university.

I don't THINK Dolph would ever do that, he loves Iowa too much, but the implication that he might is probably why Barta and Fran are silent right now. My guess is there will be a very large payout coming to Dolph (if there hasn't been already) to avoid any sort of lawsuit. Whats interesting is any sort of settlement or buyout would fall under the FOIA, just like Fran's extension, and so they can't keep it a secret for long

Dolph has been dragged through the mud for the last few days without a single word from Barta. His name is ruined. He is unemployable because of the reckless actions of a University with a record of reckless behavior when it comes to this kind of crap. I think it is 100% certain he takes the school to court and either wins or he gets a handsome settlement and retires. It will be the second time under Barta the university has had to payout a handsome sum of money because they are the worst PR people to walk the face of the earth.

Is there actual evidence that someone at the UI told Learfield or whoever to dump or suspend Dolph. I am on no one's side on this issue at the moment but Dolph is not employed by the UI but by Learfield or whoever the production company is. The UI has contractual rights to approving the on air talent etc.

Supposedly the last I read was somebody sent an email to Learfield a day after the game complaining about the king kong usage. Was it the UI that is behind this issue?

I can see Dolph being able to sue Leafield but not the UI directly unless there is some smoking gun email etc from the UI. Even at that the UI does have the right to say who is in the booth.

Dolph has been a top hawk booster but some have said his skills have gone downhill and I agree somewhat.

What if Barta panics and throws Fran under the bus? And it does become a direct distraction to an otherwise rennasaince season?

I admit to having negative feelings toward Fran about this. However, in Rob's thread about the Morehouse article, there is a link to a tweet from the father of a recruit. This us a recruit most Hawk fans would love to land, an in-state player rated very highly.

Suffice it to say, Fran DOES have to be cognizant of the "impact"of words, regardless of "intent".

I was wrong to say Fran should be a "stand up guy" un this instance. Regardless of past issues between Fran and Dolph, he has to put players and potential players first.

so how you feeling about how Fran stayed silent tonight in regards to this?
Its like...……...think of the worst thing you could do this week......let's do that.

My guess is Dolph definitely sues the U of I - or some sort of settlement is agreed upon before that happens. Just a guess - but I imagine a lot of love that Dolph had for Iowa is now kind of lost. It happens quickly. I don't think he is being treated fairly.

But my points from the get go. We don't get to decide if it's racist or not. That isn't up to us. We see it as harmless - a black SG from New York sees "U of I suspends long time radio broadcaster for racist comments" and he checks our twitter and sees masses of Iowa fans sticking up and supporting Dolph. Who was just labeled a ractist? That recruit doesn't have the same context that Iowa fans do - but that also does not matter. It's what he sees.

Sues the University of Iowa? He compared a black player to a gorilla. Whether a compliment or not that's definitely not going to fly in court.

Sues the University of Iowa? He compared a black player to a gorilla. Whether a compliment or not that's definitely not going to fly in court.

JFC, he did NOT compare him to a "gorilla". He likened him to a dominant force against an Iowa frontline that simply couldn't stop him, especially late in the game.

Is there actual evidence that someone at the UI told Learfield or whoever to dump or suspend Dolph. I am on no one's side on this issue at the moment but Dolph is not employed by the UI but by Learfield or whoever the production company is. The UI has contractual rights to approving the on air talent etc.

Supposedly the last I read was somebody sent an email to Learfield a day after the game complaining about the king kong usage. Was it the UI that is behind this issue?

I can see Dolph being able to sue Leafield but not the UI directly unless there is some smoking gun email etc from the UI. Even at that the UI does have the right to say who is in the booth.

Dolph has been a top hawk booster but some have said his skills have gone downhill and I agree somewhat.

"Hawkeye Sports Properties" made the suspension announcement.

Latest posts