why ferentz is awesome

Do I think Ferentz is a decent person...yep. Do I think Ferentz is an awesome football coach...nope.

Too bad I dont like the NFL and dont pay to watch practice. Wonder why none of this translates into wins?

you're right. Ferentz has never won at Iowa.

(I'm not even going to argue about the state of the program at the end of last year, or today .... but to pretend that KF's coaching/talent development has not "translated into wins" is insane)

(I'm not even going to argue about the state of the program at the end of last year, or today .... but to pretend that KF's coaching/talent development has not "translated into wins" is insane)

How is that insane? Hey look whose in the bottom 15 minnesota. Seems kirks talent has had problems with them. Seems as though one of the best QBs at Iowa and two of the best wrs and a talented defense lost to them. That Minnesota team was one of the worst programs in the country that year. How the heck does that translate?

How is that insane? Hey look whose in the bottom 15 minnesota. Seems kirks talent has had problems with them. Seems as though one of the best QBs at Iowa and two of the best wrs and a talented defense lost to them. That Minnesota team was one of the worst programs in the country that year. How the heck does that translate?

I guess the R squared is less than one

I am not a huge Ferentz supporter but I am also not a person who is demanding he be fired either. However, we all get the point Ferentz has won, you have to take the good with the bad. But I can't look back and say since '10 through now that Ferentz is rebuilding a successful path to a winning program again. I hope I am wrong, obviously I want them to win but the past three seasons have been bad, worse than I expected. I am not saying that Iowa should win 9-10 games annually but a bad year to me is minimum of 7 wins. I don't think Ferentz is happy how the past three season played out, but I also don't think he is sitting in his chair in his office going this critizism is unfair because I had some really good seasons.

Statistics can be deceiving. I would like to know what percentage of our 4-5 star players make it to the NFL. I know KF ranks up there in total # drafted. Now, what percentage were in the 1st round vs 7th round?
But what these statistics say (I am speculating without having looked at the stats closely) is that KF coaches up 2 & 3 star players into the draft. Doesn't get a large quantity of 4-5 star players, so every 2 & 3 star player makes his 4 star success ratio look good. Fact that KY is up there is probably the same story.

If preparing kids for the nfl was an important part of college coaching (which is only for the small few that make the nfl ) than kf is a top coach. When it comes to things that matter in college coaching most everything has past kf bye just like the tv/dvr remote in his office. Teams lick there chops when playing kf cause you know exactly what is coming and know its going to be a close game and you will have a chance to win.

Teams lick there chops when playing kf cause you know exactly what is coming and know its going to be a close game and you will have a chance to win.

That's always been one of my gripes against ferentz. Maybe things will change with G. Davis in his second year?

FreedComanche

Too bad I dont like the NFL and dont pay to watch practice. Wonder why none of this translates into wins?

Interestingly enough there appears to be no clear W-L correlation in that piece. There are some solid winning programs on each side of the ledger and some that aren't so successful.

But it does reopen a fair question. If a program's NFL placement is significantly better than it's W-L success (or worse)... WHY?

I'm not going to sit and say that Ferentz hasn't done a lot for this program. Four Top 10 finishes, 2 BCS games, 2 Big Ten Titles, numerous bowl games.. But for me, it simply comes down to the fact that since 2004, he hasn't done a whole lot.

No, I am not ignoring 2009. That was an excellent season. 2008 was pretty decent too (8-4 regular season plus the bowl win). In my mind, 8-4 should be the minimum goal for each season, though. It doesn't mean we won't have a 6-6 or 7-5 season here and there, but since 2004, we have only reached the 8-4 mark just two times, and it doesn't look good for it happening again this year, either.

This has been a very average program for the better part of the last decade (2005-present, 8 seasons) even with Norm Parker's defense. Call me fickle, but 8 years is a pretty long stretch.

Regular season records since '04:

2005: 7-4
2006: 6-6
2007: 6-6
2008: 8-4
2009: 10-2
2010: 7-5
2011: 7-5
2012: 4-8

Put me in the '77hawkeye, dave3912 category, no reason to reiterate what they have already posted.....They said it much better than I ever could. If KF continues to struggle the next year or two then what is going on at Kentucky becomes very interesting to me. Yeah, I said it, Kentucky football will become very interesting to me.

Y! SPORTS

I'm not going to sit and say that Ferentz hasn't done a lot for this program. Four Top 10 finishes, 2 BCS games, 2 Big Ten Titles, numerous bowl games.. But for me, it simply comes down to the fact that since 2004, he hasn't done a whole lot.

No, I am not ignoring 2009. That was an excellent season. 2008 was pretty decent too (8-4 regular season plus the bowl win). In my mind, 8-4 should be the minimum goal for each season, though. It doesn't mean we won't have a 6-6 or 7-5 season here and there, but since 2004, we have only reached the 8-4 mark just two times, and it doesn't look good for it happening again this year, either.

This has been a very average program for the better part of the last decade (2005-present, 8 seasons) even with Norm Parker's defense. Call me fickle, but 8 years is a pretty long stretch.

Regular season records since '04:

2005: 7-4
2006: 6-6
2007: 6-6
2008: 8-4
2009: 10-2
2010: 7-5
2011: 7-5
2012: 4-8

Bottom line: KFz is a 7-5 coach One can debate whether that's good, bad or somewhere in between. But he is... a 7-5 coach.

That's always been one of my gripes against ferentz. Maybe things will change with G. Davis in his second year?

FreedComanche

Was that your gripe when we were winning in the same fashion?

When we were winning, everyone said you know what's coming with Iowa, but they just do it/execute better; and that's why they win.

So I assume you griped about it when we were winning too.

Don't let the 2010 let down, and 2011 game blur your memory of Iowa's recent (past 20 years) success in the Iowa/minny rivalry.

Latest posts