why ferentz is awesome

Was that your gripe when we were winning in the same fashion?

When we were winning, everyone said you know what's coming with Iowa, but they just do it/execute better; and that's why they win.

So I assume you griped about it when we were winning too.

I don't know why you would make that assumption. If you can win by being predictable, great. If you got better talent than the teams you play against, being predictable is usually a winning formula. Just ask Saban.

But if you have equal or lesser talent than your opponent, being predictable usually does not work. When Iowa had better talent than their opponents they could get by with that. I am referring to when KOK was the OC. Anyway, is Iowa even predictable with G. Davis as the OC now? I just think they were so terrible last year that it wouldn't have mattered if they were predictable or not.

I'm not saying Iowa is as predictable as they were. I am holding out some hope that G. Davis will mix things up this year.

FreedComanche

taking all of this in...

george_c_scott_dr_strange_love.gif

Don't let the 2010 let down, and 2011 game blur your memory of Iowa's recent (past 20 years) success in the Iowa/minny rivalry.

So its okay to lose to them in a year in which people had NC hopes? Then turn around and let them do it the next year? Should we not play football this year but look back and rejoice in how we have played teams in the past?

I don't know why you would make that assumption. If you can win by being predictable, great. If you got better talent than the teams you play against, being predictable is usually a winning formula. Just ask Saban.

But if you have equal or lesser talent than your opponent, being predictable usually does not work. When Iowa had better talent than their opponents they could get by with that. I am referring to when KOK was the OC. Anyway, is Iowa even predictable with G. Davis as the OC now? I just think they were so terrible last year that it wouldn't have mattered if they were predictable or not.

I'm not saying Iowa is as predictable as they were. I am holding out some hope that G. Davis will mix things up this year.

FreedComanche

I simply said that because you said it's always been a gripe of yours. But when the team is winning, it's not a subject that you'd complain about.
More so it was a talking point for analyst as to how it works here. The KirFer way, if you will.
I'm with you, I do hole GD does mix things up a little bit. I won't use last year as a barometer until I see what this years team does.

So its okay to lose to them in a year in which people had NC hopes? Then turn around and let them do it the next year? Should we not play football this year but look back and rejoice in how we have played teams in the past?

That is exactly what I was saying. Good job reading stuff.

I forgot to use the sarcasm font.

Last edited:
Bottom line: KFz is a 7-5 coach One can debate whether that's good, bad or somewhere in between. But he is... a 7-5 coach.

If my math is correct, since 2004, Iowa has averaged exactly 6.875 regular season wins per year with an average of exactly 5 losses, so Iowa is not even technically a 7-5 program. I guess it rounds up, but that's not cutting it.

Add the bowl wins (2008, 2009, 2010), and I think it puts that average at 7.25.

I'm ready for a couple 8-4 or 9-3 type seasons... Or anything better.

If my math is correct, since 2004, Iowa has averaged exactly 6.875 regular season wins per year with an average of exactly 5 losses, so Iowa is not even technically a 7-5 program. I guess it rounds up, but that's not cutting it.

Add the bowl wins (2008, 2009, 2010), and I think it puts that average at 7.25.

I'm ready for a couple 8-4 or 9-3 type seasons... Or anything better.

Ferentz is 100-74 at IOWA. (57.47 winning %) That translates to 6.896 & 5.103 on a 12 game schedule...pretty close to 7-5

I'm ready for some 8-4, 9-3 type seasons too!

Ferentz is 100-74 at IOWA. (57.47 winning %) That translates to 6.896 & 5.103 on a 12 game schedule...pretty close to 7-5

I'm ready for some 8-4, 9-3 type seasons too!

He has given you at least 8 wins in 6 of his 14 seasons coaching. That is almost half of his seasons at Iowa, and that includes having to work with a pretty bare cupboard his first 2 seasons (1999 and 2000).

I'm not going to sit and say that Ferentz hasn't done a lot for this program. Four Top 10 finishes, 2 BCS games, 2 Big Ten Titles, numerous bowl games.. But for me, it simply comes down to the fact that since 2004, he hasn't done a whole lot.

No, I am not ignoring 2009. That was an excellent season. 2008 was pretty decent too (8-4 regular season plus the bowl win). In my mind, 8-4 should be the minimum goal for each season, though. It doesn't mean we won't have a 6-6 or 7-5 season here and there, but since 2004, we have only reached the 8-4 mark just two times, and it doesn't look good for it happening again this year, either.

This has been a very average program for the better part of the last decade (2005-present, 8 seasons) even with Norm Parker's defense. Call me fickle, but 8 years is a pretty long stretch.

Regular season records since '04:

2005: 7-4
2006: 6-6
2007: 6-6
2008: 8-4
2009: 10-2
2010: 7-5
2011: 7-5
2012: 4-8

You DO realize, of course, that if you graduated in 1977...You NEVER, while a student, saw even a 6-win season. If you STARTED in 1977, and finished in 5 years, you saw exactly TWO winning season, 8-3 in 1981 and 7-4 in 1982.

To say 8-4 should be "minimum" expectation is ALMOST fair. I'd peg it at 7.5-4.5 "average" overage a 5-year period. Over a 10-year period is pushing it, as once a coach is at IOWA for 10 years, he seems to last at least 12 or 15, at least with JHF and KF. Given the nature of our program, it's impossible for us not to expect an outlier here and there.

He has given you at least 8 wins in 6 of his 14 seasons coaching. That is almost half of his seasons at Iowa, and that includes having to work with a pretty bare cupboard his first 2 seasons (1999 and 2000).

I'll grant you that. The thing is, the majority of that success was early on in his tenure. The last several years have really dropped off. If we had the "8 wins or more" conversation after the 2009 season, things would be looking a lot better.

If KF can get things back on track, then great.

You DO realize, of course, that if you graduated in 1977...You NEVER, while a student, saw even a 6-win season. If you STARTED in 1977, and finished in 5 years, you saw exactly TWO winning season, 8-3 in 1981 and 7-4 in 1982.

To say 8-4 should be "minimum" expectation is ALMOST fair. I'd peg it at 7.5-4.5 "average" overage a 5-year period. Over a 10-year period is pushing it, as once a coach is at IOWA for 10 years, he seems to last at least 12 or 15, at least with JHF and KF. Given the nature of our program, it's impossible for us not to expect an outlier here and there.

I believe I said that I expect a 6-6 or 7-5 season here and there. I didn't say anywhere that I expect 8+ wins EVERY year. I just said that should be the GOAL. Not that it will always happen.

Furthermore, I couldn't care less what Iowa football was like in the 1970's. This is 2013.

I believe I said that I expect a 6-6 or 7-5 season here and there. You seem to think you saw me say somehwere that I expect 8+ wins EVERY year. I just said that should be the GOAL. Not that it will always happen.

Furthermore, I couldn't care less what Iowa football was like in the 1970's. This is 2013.

And as I said, 8-4 is "almost fair" for expectations.

And sure this is 2013. What's changed that would make us recruit better, have better facilities than other schools or a larger state population from which to pull? Nothing.

I certainly want 8-4 or better EVERY season. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect that we won't have crappy seasons once in a while. Making a bowl game with a 7-5 season isn't our greatest "hope", but it's better than 20 years of losing seasons and zero bowl games. Tons better.

I'm not sure the OP link makes the case he thinks it does. It shows this program does well at developing players. That is only a part of the coaches job. Taking that talent you've developed and translating it into wins on the field is the other part of the equation. If anything it shows this program has squandered the talent they work so hard developing.

Ability to get players into the NFL is more a recruiting tool than a measurement stick for successful coaching. Wins determine whether or not a coach is considered successful.

Taking that talent you've developed and translating it into wins on the field is the other part of the equation. If anything it shows this program has squandered the talent they work so hard developing.

To a degree, yes. You ferentz defenders, please don't take offense. I didn't say completely. I said to a degree.

FreedComanche

He has also given us losing records to ISU, Northwestern, and Directional Michigan in that timespan.

In the current era of 4 relatively easy non-conf games 7-5 ain't much It's a .500 Big Ten record and a loss to ISU (or another BCS non-con opponent if we have one) Or it's a sweep of the non-conference and 3-5 in the Big Ten.

So 8-4 shouldn't be too tough to reach for a program with all the resources, facilities, fan support and National exposure we have to build on. I'd suggest it should be the expectation or benchmark.. rather than 7-5.

If preparing kids for the nfl was an important part of college coaching (which is only for the small few that make the nfl ) than kf is a top coach. When it comes to things that matter in college coaching most everything has past kf bye just like the tv/dvr remote in his office. Teams lick there chops when playing kf cause you know exactly what is coming and know its going to be a close game and you will have a chance to win.

Cheer up folks we are the BEST team in teh country at keeping bad teams in football games just ask Indiana and Purdue

Latest posts