Why dont top PGs want to play for Fran?

uihawk82

Fran loves to push the ball, he puts the ball in the PGs hand ala Marble and Gesell running the show, etc Cartwright, Fran likes to press some which can give quick, really good PGs a chance for steals, fast break buckets and assists. The wings and bigs are there to really compliment a great PG.

Do players not want to be screamed at by Fran?? Is it something like that. Or is it an X and O thing?

Would love to hear if you think Fran can get one for next year.

I have to wonder how having a PG on the roster that is the coaches son is perceived by other recruits.

3EC1A9A3-B3C2-4399-9657-A3302DE76401.jpeg

I have to wonder how having a PG on the roster that is the coaches son is perceived by other recruits.

But I am talking about Fran's whole tenure at Iowa. He has not had a top point guard here, not close. Put Trey Burke or whatever his name is on several of Fran's teams and I think they make some big runs and a good chance at a couple Big tourney titles.

Fran likes to have forwards with length run the point on the press defense . He is a believer in a rotational zone offense with four scoring options . His offense is designed to attack from the corners with his forwards . It hasn’t looked good since uthoff left. Now it’s JBo attacking from the top of the key from on ball screens or away from the ball screens mixed in for the other players for the drive and dish. The hawks do run quite a few high low two man sets but the entry is usually made from around the corners and not the point .

But I am talking about Fran's whole tenure at Iowa. He has not had a top point guard here, not close. Put Trey Burke or whatever his name is on several of Fran's teams and I think they make some big runs and a good chance at a couple Big tourney titles.
He recruited Bryce Cartwright and Devyn Marble with his first class. Cartwright played 2 seasons and actually regressed his SR season.
Then Gesell and Clemmons 2 years later. They both played as true FR, which effectively stifles quality PG recruiting through 2015. They played well enough but not All BIG caliber.
Signed Trey Dickerson for the 2014 class but he transferred out.
Connor committed in August of 2014, for the 2017 class. Which effectively killed PG recruiting for 2016-2020, in my opinion. But I've been in the minority on that opinion, which is fine. But here we are from 2014 until now, without a quality PG. Unless Connor is that quality PG but we have no way of knowing how that will end up. If he gets a medical redshirt, it might push another class of possible PGs down the road 1 year further.

He recruited Bryce Cartwright and Devyn Marble with his first class. Cartwright played 2 seasons and actually regressed his SR season.
Then Gesell and Clemmons 2 years later. They both played as true FR, which effectively stifles quality PG recruiting through 2015. They played well enough but not All BIG caliber.
Connor committed in August of 2014, for the 2017 class. Which effectively killed PG recruiting for 2016-2020, in my opinion. But I've been in the minority on that opinion, which is fine. But here we are from 2014 until now, without a quality PG. Unless Connor is that quality PG but we have no way of knowing how that will end up. If he gets a medical redshirt, it might push another class of possible PGs down the road 1 year further.

I don't get why more people don't agree with this.

Getting rid of Fran might help recruit a good PG then?

lighting, i think this is part of it. but also, keep in mind that fran has completed 7 seasons. his first 2 he had Cartwright and was recruiting his #1 target, Mike Gesell. He landed MG in '12. Fran missed on Tyler Ulis. after that, he backed off on Moore in '16 and landed JBo. Now we have CM and i'm sure it was a foregone conclusion on the AAU circuit and in recruiting circles that "why would you pick iowa when fran's son is going to play pg? where are your minutes going to come from? Part of the reason i want JBo to be moved to SG is to show there are minutes at pg even if CM is on the team. but to answer the op, Fran has hit on some and missed on some.

Let's be fair, also. We have only seen glimpses of what Conner can do at this level. We honestly don't know if we have a legit pg on our team already, or not. Conner has had a sprained ankle that caused him to miss the 1st six games, then mono after he played in a couple 3 or 4 games, then tonsillitis and the complications from that surgery. Again, this might be a moot point, we just don't know yet.

2 points. 1. Conner is not a pt guard. JBo and Conner together will offset some of the pt guard problems. Also together they will have some benefits but there will be major weaknesses.

2. Fran has what he wants. He has some of the same virus that impacts KF. The only way to cure the virus is to disinfect the athletic department.

The path is definitely cleared for his son to be the man at point guard for 4 years. The only unanswered question is whether Fran wants that because it's his son, or because his son is that good.

2 points. 1. Conner is not a pt guard. JBo and Conner together will offset some of the pt guard problems. Also together they will have some benefits but there will be major weaknesses.

2. Fran has what he wants. He has some of the same virus that impacts KF. The only way to cure the virus is to disinfect the athletic department.
Yes, Connor is a PG. Connor has played PG at every stage of his career. I don't care what the "scouting services" say he is! He is playing PG for Fran.
That doesn't mean we won't play 2 PGs if we land a legit player. Fran has done that in the past.

Fran loves to push the ball, he puts the ball in the PGs hand ala Marble and Gesell running the show, etc Cartwright, Fran likes to press some which can give quick, really good PGs a chance for steals, fast break buckets and assists. The wings and bigs are there to really compliment a great PG.

Do players not want to be screamed at by Fran?? Is it something like that. Or is it an X and O thing?

Would love to hear if you think Fran can get one for next year.

I have asked Mateen Cleaves if there is some reason that PG's don't want to play in a motion offense like Iowa's. He responded quickly by saying that he will watch a few games and get back to me. I will let you know what he says.

Mateen Cleaves you ask? Lol I happen to have his email through a mutual acquaintance to his sister Michelle. He seems like a reliable source given his pedigree.

Latest posts