Why Does Phil Parker Get a "Get Out Of Jail Free Card"?

It's a great question. For us the fans it was just a matter of the QB situation and offense being what it's been will always be at the forefront of our minds I suppose. But the media on the other hand should have been on this for some time and there's no reason they shouldn't have been. It's their job to. And it sure seemed like he got a pass from them most of the year too. The LBs were beyond bad. They knew going into last year that they had 3 LBs graduating all at once and theyd need to replace them and to say he failed at getting a group of them ready to go this year would be an understatement. Just an overall embarrassing year capped off with that game where they couldn't even slow them down. Couldn't get off blocks get in their right gaps and obviously couldn't tackle. D coordinators who have done alot better jobs then that have lost their jobs and I bet Phil hardly gets much more heat then what we fans are giving him here and now.

We can b!tch about coaching all we want....and there's certainly a fair amount of blame to go around....but until we have PLAYERS then the best coaches in the world aren't going to make a bit of difference. Does the recruitment of these players have to do with the coaches? Absolutely. And so if we want to argue about the coaching aspect, it should be almost exclusively around recruiting because I think every one of these coaches (KF included) has shown an ability to excel when they've had players that can play.

Phil Parker just came off a year in 2013 where we had the best defense in the history of the Ferentz Era, statistically speaking. So I'm pretty sure he didn't forget how to coach. But when you've got the all time worst middle linebacker in the KF era in Alston, two other walk-ons at the other linebacker spots, a 235lb defensive end, and a "strong" safety that consistently takes the worst angles in the history of college football....Buddy Ryan couldn't coach these group of players to do anything.

Greg Davis is forced to use a fullback as the primary running back for 2.5 years. His most athletically talented wide receiver is forced to sit on the bench by the head coach. His most talented QB is forced to ride the pine by the head coach. I, for one, think it's a miracle we averaged as many points and yards as we did this year given the handcuffs that were put on the offense by the head man and the talent that sat on the bench all year.

If there's a position/coordinator coach that should be given serious scrutiny and probably let go is Chris White. That guy has been an unmitigated disaster as special teams coach.

How dare you?
We conducted a sweeping and thorough national search and found that the best coach is the country was already on our staff.
Kirk said so.

That is awesome! It is kinda funny that no one ever gave any thought to his hires until the sky started falling. I mean how many candidates did Kirk really interview? To me he took the easiest route on all of those hires. Phil was under his nose, GD was sitting at home along with the other two hires. How unimaginative was his vetting process?

Iowa's defense was ranked 22nd in total defense. It wasn't that terrible. Total offense was ranked 63rd. That's bad and the reason why everyone is focusing on Davis.
Which is just stupid, since Iowa's defense is always ranked higher than the offense under Kurt. People are acting like this is some kind of new phenomenon. A 63rd ranked offense is actually pretty damn good by KF standards.

We can b!tch about coaching all we want....and there's certainly a fair amount of blame to go around....but until we have PLAYERS then the best coaches in the world aren't going to make a bit of difference. Does the recruitment of these players have to do with the coaches? Absolutely. And so if we want to argue about the coaching aspect, it should be almost exclusively around recruiting because I think every one of these coaches (KF included) has shown an ability to excel when they've had players that can play.

Phil Parker just came off a year in 2013 where we had the best defense in the history of the Ferentz Era, statistically speaking. So I'm pretty sure he didn't forget how to coach. But when you've got the all time worst middle linebacker in the KF era in Alston, two other walk-ons at the other linebacker spots, a 235lb defensive end, and a "strong" safety that consistently takes the worst angles in the history of college football....Buddy Ryan couldn't coach these group of players to do anything.

Greg Davis is forced to use a fullback as the primary running back for 2.5 years. His most athletically talented wide receiver is forced to sit on the bench by the head coach. His most talented QB is forced to ride the pine by the head coach. I, for one, think it's a miracle we averaged as many points and yards as we did this year given the handcuffs that were put on the offense by the head man and the talent that sat on the bench all year.

If there's a position/coordinator coach that should be given serious scrutiny and probably let go is Chris White. That guy has been an unmitigated disaster as special teams coach.

It's up to the coaches to get the players for the system. KF & staff are not doing that. Recruiting is poor, and with lesser players, they try running the same schemes with horrible results.

We don't really hit the JUCO ranks, so we're left with 3rd or 4th options for recruits in Iowa.

Phil parker ----- 1 year

Greg davis ----- 3 years

Kirk ferentz --- 5+ years

Hmmm Interesting! :)

I never liked the Parker hire. It was lazy and unimaginative. KF could have really shook up the program by getting a young, innovative coordinator, but he simply promoted from within.

This is exactly what Hayden did at the end.

Which is just stupid, since Iowa's defense is always ranked higher than the offense under Kurt. People are acting like this is some kind of new phenomenon. A 63rd ranked offense is actually pretty damn good by KF standards.

In terms of points scored (28.1) they were actually 70th out of 128 teams which means 54% of teams scored more points then Iowa. Scoring in college football has increased dramatically. Iowa is not doing very well at keeping up with that due to the old fashioned ways of one Mr. KF.

Over the past 11 years, Iowa's averaged around 25 ppg and that includes GD's first year and a couple KOK bad years. It all points back to KF's philosophy though. Play not to lose versus putting the pedal to the floor.

We played some really, really bad teams this year. That helped with our stats on defense.

KF had a chance to really shake up the program with his hires a few years ago. He went safe with Parker, hoping Phil learned enough from Norm over the years. Davis is a disaster.

There is only one similarity with Phil Parker and Norm Parker. You guessed it. Their last name.

Norm Parker was far and away the biggest reason for KF's success.
and by logical extension Phil would be a big reason for Norm's success.

I think I recall ferentz saying in past years that the hardest player to replace on defense is a LB.

Iowa had to replace three (of course).

That each played, what, 3+ years.

Recruiting behind 2 starting freshman LBs is going to be difficult for a couple years. Worst case scenario? 2014.

Not making excuses. Facts are facts.

from a head coaching standpoint:
Phil Parker gets a pass because KF is head coach.

KF has mentioned on numerous occasions he's been involved with the offense. The offense??? The very same KF who demands a game manager's offense? Let me lay this out for you: KF wants to make sure the offense doesn't take too many risks so the defense can win the game. That means, if the offense is dumbed down, the defense has to be dominant for Iowa to win. Why KF said at a press conference after TaxSlayer that if Iowa is good, the score will always be close. Why the previous poster mentioned KF said a LB is the most difficult and most important player to replace. Has KF made any effort to help make the defense dominant..'cause if the defense isn't dominant, Iowa will have a hard time winning? Defense... KF's most important 'ingredient' for football success? Has KF been involved with defensive schemes? I won't mention recruiting.

From a fan base standpoint:
Since the perception of most Iowa fans is Iowa's defense carries most Iowa teams, fans are wont to criticize the defense.. their favorite ('cause its KF's favorite) .
Why does Iowa's defense seem the most important part of the team? Because KF demands the offense be a game manager's offense and demands the defense to win ball games.

That's a good goal. Dominant defense and pedestrian offense. How does one react when the defense isn't dominant? Isn't solid, heck, isn't even good like 2014? It would be a mistake to demand a game manager's offense in 2014 but that's exactly what KF demanded.

Last edited:
This is exactly what Hayden did at the end.

This in response to "Originally Posted by linus19 I never liked the Parker hire. It was lazy and unimaginative. KF could have really shook up the program by getting a young, innovative coordinator, but he simply promoted from within."

If you actually knew your history you'd know that Hayden never had to hire a DC.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...e-of-the-tree-hayden-frys-1983-coaching-staff

From this article: "Brashier reportedly turned down three head coaching position offers in his time at Iowa, remaining as defensive coordinator through the entirety of Fry's tenure."

For OC, yes. He made two hires and both were within. For DC, though, one guy.

If you actually knew your history you'd know that Hayden never had to hire a DC.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...e-of-the-tree-hayden-frys-1983-coaching-staff

From this article: "Brashier reportedly turned down three head coaching position offers in his time at Iowa, remaining as defensive coordinator through the entirety of Fry's tenure."

That article is not accurate in regards to DC and Brashier as Bill retired after the '95 Sun Bowl (tired to talk Fry into going with him) and thus Bobby Elliot was the DC (and assistant HC) for the final years of Fry.

and by logical extension Phil would be a big reason for Norm's success.

I think I recall ferentz saying in past years that the hardest player to replace on defense is a LB.

Iowa had to replace three (of course).

That each played, what, 3+ years.

Recruiting behind 2 starting freshman LBs is going to be difficult for a couple years. Worst case scenario? 2014.

Not making excuses. Facts are facts.

Phil Parker was the DB coach during this time, correct? They were our weakest unit on D in my opinion during Norm's time on the sideline.

Norm was successful because the players would have taken a bullet for him plus he knew what he was doing more then the current DC. In Phil Parker's defense, I'd never want to follow a Norm Parker as a DC.

We critique & beeotch about Ferentz. We beeotch about Davis & his crappy check-down short pass offense. This teams did increase scoring this season but was inconsistent.

How come we are not all over Phil Parker like we are on Ferentz & Davis? Wasn't it the D that gave away the Wisky & Nebby games in the 2nd halves. Wasn't it the D that completely embarrassed Iowa in the Minny & Vol games? Include Maryland in there as well. What about that juggarnot Iowa State.

I'm not saying Ferentz & Davis don't deserve the criticism they are enduring, but Parker seems to be getting off relatively scott free, IMO. I mean the D was a true mess this year, and in many positions. Include the crappy angles players were taking & the abysmal tackling. This Iowa team had some really lopsided losses this year and that is not consistent with previous Iowa teams who many times lose games within 3-7 points. Thoughts ?

Good point, and one that is often lost on many. From '08-'10, EVERY ONE of Iowa's losses were decided by a single score. Since then ('11-'14) the margin of the losses are becoming greater. We're also seeing more blowout losses.

I believe this is due in part to the decline of Norm Parker's health/retiring. He got the kids up and ready to play, and had them in the right position often. They played fundamentally sound football with great technique. Perhaps this is revisionist history for me, but I don't recall them being out of position all that often.

Phil Parker is a great coach (he did send a lot of DB's to the NFL).. But not a stellar defensive coordinator. Certainly not as good as Norm Parker.

Good points OP ... Not much has been mentioned about Parker and the dismal performance by the defense for most of the year. It is really eye opening when you stop and think about the fact EVERY area of this program needs an overhaul. Our kicking game is horrible (although FG kicking and kickoffs were pretty good - and no excuse having 2 HORRIBLE punters on scholarship) ... Our kick return ... our punt return ... non existent. DLine was suspect and not as dominating as I hoped ... Okay, I need to stop ...

Thinking about everything wrong with this program sort of gives me a look on my face like I just did a shot of pure lemon juice.

Good point, and one that is often lost on many. From '08-'10, EVERY ONE of Iowa's losses were decided by a single score. Since then ('11-'14) the margin of the losses are becoming greater. We're also seeing more blowout losses.

I believe this is due in part to the decline of Norm Parker's health/retiring. He got the kids up and ready to play, and had them in the right position often. They played fundamentally sound football with great technique. Perhaps this is revisionist history for me, but I don't recall them being out of position all that often.

Phil Parker is a great coach (he did send a lot of DB's to the NFL).. But not a stellar defensive coordinator. Certainly not as good as Norm Parker.

Yeah, I agree - the defense has slipped over the last few years compared to when Norm was here, and the offense, at the very best, has remained the same. In that case, either your offense has to improve to compensate, or your W/L record is going to slip and you'll have more blowout losses. We've gotten the latter.

Myself, I've never understood the "we rely on stout defense, so the offense doesn't really matter" mentality. Why do offense and defense have to be mutually exclusive concepts? One or the other? On the flip side, just because you score a lot of points doesn't mean your defense can't, or shouldn't, be effective.

If you want an offense that truly is a game managing type of offense that burns clock and allows your defense to rest and keeps the opposing offense on the sidelines, then fine - but to consistently have sustained 10-12+ play 6-minute drives requires strong execution, and I've got to believe that's difficult if your level of talent isn't clearly superior to your opponent's defense. They are likely going to make a play at some point to stop you. Iowa could get away with this in 2002 when it had a ton of talent on offense and could basically impose its will, but that generally hasn't been the case since.

I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but that's my 2 cents.

This in response to "Originally Posted by linus19 I never liked the Parker hire. It was lazy and unimaginative. KF could have really shook up the program by getting a young, innovative coordinator, but he simply promoted from within."

Hahaha yeah when you have a coaching tree like HF's you can promote from within. I still maintain this program needed a major overhaul when the OC and DC positions opened up, and Ferentz went with an aging reject for the offense and a conservative weak choice on defense.

Latest posts