Why Does Phil Parker Get a "Get Out Of Jail Free Card"?

MelroseHawkins

We critique & beeotch about Ferentz. We beeotch about Davis & his crappy check-down short pass offense. This teams did increase scoring this season but was inconsistent.

How come we are not all over Phil Parker like we are on Ferentz & Davis? Wasn't it the D that gave away the Wisky & Nebby games in the 2nd halves. Wasn't it the D that completely embarrassed Iowa in the Minny & Vol games? Include Maryland in there as well. What about that juggarnot Iowa State.

I'm not saying Ferentz & Davis don't deserve the criticism they are enduring, but Parker seems to be getting off relatively scott free, IMO. I mean the D was a true mess this year, and in many positions. Include the crappy angles players were taking & the abysmal tackling. This Iowa team had some really lopsided losses this year and that is not consistent with previous Iowa teams who many times lose games within 3-7 points. Thoughts ?

I never liked the Parker hire. It was lazy and unimaginative. KF could have really shook up the program by getting a young, innovative coordinator, but he simply promoted from within.

No coach on this staff is worth a damn and they all need to be fired. We bring in mediocre recruits and turn them into mediocre college players that produce mediocre teams.

I don't think Parker is getting off. The defense has to be being addressed. It was pretty awful

No coach on this staff is worth a damn and they all need to be fired. We bring in mediocre recruits and turn them into mediocre college players that produce mediocre teams.

We do seem to be in that Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern and MAC level, don't we? Actually, we do compete with a lot of MAC teams for 3 star recruits. Not the level Iowa needs to be at, not with the facilities they have. How bad would it be if they DID NOT have the facilities. I shudder just thinking about it.

A valid question. Yes, IMO, Phil Parker should have to answer some questions, too.

Regarding the games the OP mentioned, there were several reasons why Iowa lost those games, not just one particular unit. I'd say the defense wasn't good (or was plain horrible) in the games that were mentioned, but there were also offensive struggles, and on special teams as well, at times in those losses.

ISU - 3 second half points.

MD - After going up 14-0, MD went on a 38-7 run. That's bad D, but there were several 3 and outs during that stretch, too.

Minny - Horrible all the way around, both sides of the ball.

Wisconsin - Just 3 first half points, but the D couldn't get stops in the second half when Iowa was trying to come back.

Nebraska - Gave up some big plays, a punt return, etc. But look at the drive chart - 3 first half turnovers, and 5 straight punts in the second half with the best drive in that stretch being 8 plays for 18 yards. Less than 3 yards per play. Iowa had a pick 6 for a TD in that game, too.

TN - I pin that one mostly on the defense, but the offense wasn't good, either. Most of the scoring came after TN called off the dogs. Minnesota all over again.

Yes, there's plenty of blame to go around. Defense, Offense, Special Teams... Goodness.

I don't think Parker is getting off. The defense has to be being addressed. It was pretty awful

That's exactly my point Lasbur. It doesn't seem like Parker is getting the media & fan criticism. Where's the lynching mob chasing Parker?

That's exactly my point Lasbur. It doesn't seem like Parker is getting the media & fan criticism. Where's the lynching mob chasing Parker?

I think you're right. Greg Davis has been the whipping boy (besides Ferentz, of course). I'm starting to be critical of the entire staff. Thinking of one thing this team consistently did well this year.. I'm coming up empty.

A valid question. Yes, IMO, Phil Parker should have to answer some questions, too.

Regarding the games the OP mentioned, there were several reasons why Iowa lost those games, not just one particular unit. I'd say the defense wasn't good (or was plain horrible) in the games that were mentioned, but there were also offensive struggles, and on special teams as well, at times in those losses.

ISU - 3 second half points.

MD - After going up 14-0, MD went on a 38-7 run. That's bad D, but there were several 3 and outs during that stretch, too.

Minny - Horrible all the way around, both sides of the ball.

Wisconsin - Just 3 first half points, but the D couldn't get stops in the second half when Iowa was trying to come back.

Nebraska - Gave up some big plays, a punt return, etc. But look at the drive chart - 3 first half turnovers, and 5 straight punts in the second half with the best drive in that stretch being 8 plays for 18 yards. Less than 3 yards per play. Iowa had a pick 6 for a TD in that game, too.

TN - I pin that one mostly on the defense, but the offense wasn't good, either. Most of the scoring came after TN called off the dogs. Minnesota all over again.

Yes, there's plenty of blame to go around. Defense, Offense, Special Teams... Goodness.

What a freaking mess! Astonishing when you think about it. The mere number of areas this team is weak in. I didn't even mention the special teams. Where exactly was this team strong at? It's sad, but I can't think of a unit or position that sticks out positively. ALL UNITS SEEM TO HAVE ISSUES! How can a team have issues at every spot? Baffling.

We critique & beeotch about Ferentz. We beeotch about Davis & his crappy check-down short pass offense. This teams did increase scoring this season but was inconsistent.

How come we are not all over Phil Parker like we are on Ferentz & Davis? Wasn't it the D that gave away the Wisky & Nebby games in the 2nd halves. Wasn't it the D that completely embarrassed Iowa in the Minny & Vol games? Include Maryland in there as well. What about that juggarnot Iowa State.

I'm not saying Ferentz & Davis don't deserve the criticism they are enduring, but Parker seems to be getting off relatively scott free, IMO. I mean the D was a true mess this year, and in many positions. Include the crappy angles players were taking & the abysmal tackling. This Iowa team had some really lopsided losses this year and that is not consistent with previous Iowa teams who many times lose games within 3-7 points. Thoughts ?

Yes, I remember HF saying if the defense plays like it is supposed to, The worst you can do is tie.

Iowa's defense was ranked 22nd in total defense. It wasn't that terrible.

Total offense was ranked 63rd. That's bad and the reason why everyone is focusing on Davis.

Total offense was ranked 63rd. That's bad and the reason why everyone is focusing on Davis.

Really? No way! I don't know what to think then. How can they be 22nd & look like they did? Not saying I don't believe you but I just can't believe it. This whole season is just baffling.

In terms of points allowed per game, and that's what really matters, Iowa was 41st. They gave up 24 a game overall in 2014 and when you consider the schedule the Hawks played, that's not good. The last 5 games I believe Iowa gave up around 39.5 a game. Couple that with the fact the offense is horrible and that spells disaster.

So to recap we have a bad offense, bad defense, bad special teams and a strength and conditioning program that appears to have gone missing.

But take heart. The new football complex is cool!

Last edited:

We played some really, really bad teams this year. That helped with our stats on defense.

The Indiana game probably would have gotten out of control if we didn't knock their QB out of the game. They ended up putting a kid in to play QB who was recruited to play LB, and it showed with his passing "attempts".

Northwestern game appeared as though they didn't want to be there. We just completely shell shocked them. Ball St, ISU we held those teams in check, it's just our offense chose to do nothing all game, costing us ISU. The Wisconsin game was the only game all year where the defense looked like a Iowa defense of the past. Hard hitting, seemed faster than normal...but they still got beat to the edge by a QB zone/read, and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down (something that happened a lot during Norm's last few years).

I think Parker gets a pass because last year's group performed pretty well (again, Big10 has some of the weakest QB's in the nation). We struggled to get off the field against OSU, but other than that game, we seemed to do OK.

The entire staff needs to go. Name one position that has IMPROVED since KF made changes? Reese Morgan might be the only one who's done OK, and his guys will make a play from time to time, but never when it counts. But DL is probably our strongest position, although DE is really bad.

Special teams have gotten worse.
OL is a mess
Running Backs are worse
WR - worse (KMM broke a record, but season stats are pretty pathetic)
TE - Wash. Have their moments, but we never use them other than 3 yard outs
LB - Great last year, really bad this year. Definitely talent issue, but the fact they NEVER improved is alarming
Overall offense - more boring than the KOK years. At least KOK offense you knew there was an idea, or plan. Running game, PA passes over the middle.

KF had a chance to really shake up the program with his hires a few years ago. He went safe with Parker, hoping Phil learned enough from Norm over the years. Davis is a disaster.

We have regressed at all phases of the game. Parker does wonders getting our CB's drafted to play safety in the NFL. They are solid tacklers (though our safeties are not), so he appears to be a good teacher. DC....doesn't seem like it.

If KF were to make changes, do we have any hope he'd make solid ones?

In terms of points allowed per game, and that's what really matters, Iowa was 41st. They gave up 24 a game overall in 2014 and when you consider the schedule the Hawks played, that's not good. The last 5 games I believe Iowa gave up around 39.5 a game. Couple that with the fact the offense is horrible and that spells disaster.

So to recap we have a bad offense, bad defense, bad special teams and a strength and conditioning program that appears to have gone missing.

But take heart. The new football complex is cool!
Exactly right.

I never liked the Parker hire. It was lazy and unimaginative. KF could have really shook up the program by getting a young, innovative coordinator, but he simply promoted from within.
How dare you?
We conducted a sweeping and thorough national search and found that the best coach is the country was already on our staff.
Kirk said so.

Just like GD, Parker's defensive play calling is very inconsistent. When the Hawks are aggressive, blitzing some, playing the raider package and secondary variations they are decent. Then other times, Parker seems to fall asleep into basic bend no breaky mode with only the line pressuring & leaving the linebackers exposed. I think he's an excellent defensive backs position coach, but DC....no.

We played some really, really bad teams this year. That helped with our stats on defense.

KF had a chance to really shake up the program with his hires a few years ago. He went safe with Parker, hoping Phil learned enough from Norm over the years. Davis is a disaster.

There is only one similarity with Phil Parker and Norm Parker. You guessed it. Their last name.

Norm Parker was far and away the biggest reason for KF's success.

Unlike others I was ok with the Parker hire. Here's a guy that has been loyally waiting in the wings..he's had his chance. And you hit on a great point PP SHOULDN'T get a pass...you could argue that he was responsible for a being embarrassed at Minn and again with a MONTH to prepare against Tennessee. As a matter of fact Phil's performance may be worse than anyone on the staff.

I don't think Parker is getting a free pass. I think we have had some good defenses under him. Having great LBrs are a must with his defensive philosophy. Our backers sucked this year. Easy enough to connect the dots on what went wrong.

We need to probably hit the JUCO ranks hard to find some upgrades at the position. We know that won't happen most likely. Spearman should have his hand on the ground next season.