Why do radio guys defend

How do you have a running back with over 250 yds and not score more than 21 points? He runs the ball down the field and then they change the play calling and don't score. That is on the offense and its coordinator. How do you have 2:48 left and have receivers on the field that shouln't be? That is on the offense and its coordinator. How do you not even attempt a throw to McNutt or KMM in the last drive? Again on the play calls and on top of that we throw short on every attempt. We don't even think about running Coker on first or second down when he has gashed them all day and they are expeting pass. We had plent of time and 2 timeouts to run anything in the play book we wanted. No bubble screen, no screen pass. Nope, nothing different except short passes to guys that should have been on the sideline. Passes should have been going to McNutt, KMM, Fiedorowicz, or Coker out of the backfield. That is Okeefe's area.

And what's the deal with throwing north-south on that final drive instead of trying to throw some quick outs that the receivers can grab with their backs to the defenders and quickly get out of bounds?

Did you choose you wife? Or did your parents? Makes a lot of difference.

Oh for the love of Christ. If you think that kind of analogy applies here, you can't be helped. These coaches share the same belief when it comes to philosophy. It's not about personal preferences. I'm quite sure that Norm has a lot of input on who we recruit. But he doesn't actually do the recruiting. But we've also had a ton of defections along the front four, which weren't his fault. There is talent in the back 7, but they can't perform at their best if the d-line can't do their jobs.

I'm just a stupid Cyclone fan, but do Iowa fans really think Iowa is in a rebuilding stage right now?

I was surpised to see all the good seniors on Iowa's team this year.

McNutt
Zusevics
Gettis
Binns
Daniel
Daniels
Nardo
Nielson
Prater
Bernstine

Basically 10 starters, but not only that, some of your best players right now.

I have no idea what you have for young talent coming up, but it's not like you have nearly everyone back next year.

Re: Why do radio guys defendjo

I've been thinking the same thing, I can still see the wicked block ARob put on Greg Jones in last year's MSU game. Stanzi got the first down and Jones got knocked on his butt.

BTN's coverage really didn't show who missed his assignment when JVB was sacked and fumbled. To me that was the critical play of the game. Anybody know who didn't pick up the blitzing corner?

The qb HAS to know they are likely blitzing in that situation and see it coming. Just because a team is blitzing, doesn't mean we have to be a deer in headlights. EVERY team in major college football blitzes in the red zone; that is except IOWA; Vandenberg needs to make a play or at least get rid of the ball and not take a sack/fumble. Every game we can't blame someone else for missing a block. The QB has the ultimate responsibility, and fact is his field vision leads a lot to be desired

Re: Why do radio guys defendjo

The qb HAS to know they are likely blitzing in that situation and see it coming. Just because a team is blitzing, doesn't mean we have to be a deer in headlights. EVERY team in major college football blitzes in the red zone; that is except IOWA; Vandenberg needs to make a play or at least get rid of the ball and not take a sack/fumble. Every game we can't blame someone else for missing a block. The QB has the ultimate responsibility, and fact is his field vision leads a lot to be desired

No that was no JVB's fault. He didnt see it come and was not like it was hehad all the time in the world to get rid of the ball.

Here's an answer - KOK...... we haven't had a good Offensive football team in forever. Putting up 40 on Indiana an NU are nothing to be proud of. Coaches get players (teams) ready to play. Coaches drive 'execution'. Its getting old that 'they just didn't execute' excuse
Look, prole, ANY offensive problems Iowa has ever had come down to one of a handful of things, none of which has a lick to do with Ken O'Keefe. Ken O'Keefe can turn it on when Ferentz doesn't hold him back, which is always. Ken O'Keefe can only do so much when the defense gets dinked and dunked on all day because of Norm's schemes and we never get the ball. Ken O'Keefe isn't to blame when the special teams unit makes boneheaded plays like missed FGs or fails to cover fake or onside kicks. The 2009 season was great, but let us not forget that season came down to blocked kicks against UNI to win plus a TON of other luck that ran out when Stanzi ran into the Wootton express. If we face reality here, fellas, we will see that after the guys Philbin and Aiken had coached up left the program, we have seen worse play in the trenches. And let's face it, we're not getting the Ted Ginn's and Charles Woodson's of the world to come to Iowa City, so we better damn well control the lines and we just haven't been doing that. O'Keefe isn't responsible for the dang o-line and it isn't his fault that thing has fallen apart. So instead of blaming every damn loss on O'Keefe, go after Reese Morgan. I'm sorry, but the guy is in over his head and if Iowa football can't control the line, we're gonna suck. And it ain't Ken O'Keefe's fault. I am at a loss as to what the hell play O'Keefe is supposed to magically know how to call when his RB has no holes all day or his QB gets slaughtered a fraction of a second after the rock gets in his hands. Maybe one of you geniuses can tell me.
my god, talk about the typical corporate ******** that never thinks they are the problem. are you kok, his wife, or mistress?

Oh good gravy, I would love to hear your solution. Castillo in as a nickel back maybe? Just to expose us to the run even more. A 3-3-5 mid season? A change to a 3-4 mid season when we are thin at LB? What the hell can the guy do with a few hours a day to practice and a game next Saturday?
Iowa Football Disclaimer-Even though we expect you to pay more every year including this year, we refuse to change and will disappoint you even more than usual. Please hang with us....btw, send your payment in advance.
why should the coaches been any different than the rest of corporate america who expects a raise for ******* up the economy?

Oh for the love of Christ. If you think that kind of analogy applies here, you can't be helped. These coaches share the same belief when it comes to philosophy. It's not about personal preferences. I'm quite sure that Norm has a lot of input on who we recruit. But he doesn't actually do the recruiting. But we've also had a ton of defections along the front four, which weren't his fault. There is talent in the back 7, but they can't perform at their best if the d-line can't do their jobs.

So what's your excuse for last year's floundering.....with all that DLine talent. You can't have it both ways.

So what's your excuse for last year's floundering.....with all that DLine talent. You can't have it both ways.

We're never very deep. That's where the simple fact that we aren't Oklahoma/LSU/Alabama/etc. comes into play. Our linebacking corps was decimated last year by injuries. This year the DL has been decimated by a chronic issue with guys transferring out.

We just aren't deep enough to make up for the level of attrition we've seen at LB and DL the past two seasons.

I'm just a stupid Cyclone fan, but do Iowa fans really think Iowa is in a rebuilding stage right now?

I was surpised to see all the good seniors on Iowa's team this year.

McNutt
Zusevics
Gettis
Binns
Daniel
Daniels
Nardo
Nielson
Prater
Bernstine

Basically 10 starters, but not only that, some of your best players right now.

I have no idea what you have for young talent coming up, but it's not like you have nearly everyone back next year.
You're right, dude. Only those who aren't paying attention think this is a "young" team. Iowa is in trouble.

my god, talk about the typical corporate ******** that never thinks they are the problem. are you kok, his wife, or mistress?

If you haven't seen a fall-off in o-line play from the Philbin era/as Philbin's guys left the program to today, you're hopeless. Philbin was single-handedly responsible for that 2002 season. There's a reason he's now the o-coordinator of the defending Super Bowl champs - he's a damn good coach. Morgan ain't Philbin, bud.

Same with Aiken. We had a salty d-line in 2009, but those guys were Aiken's recruits. They fell off last year because Clayborn was trying to play LB half the time to make up for the graduations of Angerer and Edds. And he got dinged by a cheap shot that Carimi laid on him and really wasn't the same after the Wisconsin game. Back in 2005, our d-line was all young guys and they were atrocious at the beginning of the year, but they got better as the season progressed, the mark of good coaching. I have yet to see that this year.

Seriously, Iowa is going to win ball games in the trenches and that is why we need the absolute best in breed coaches for the line units. We're not pretty and we're not going to have the studs at all of the right positions to go out and run some fancy offense or anything much more sophisticated than our base 4-3 (it's not like we've got some stud DB just waiting to come in and start playing nickel). For as much crap as O'Keefe and Parker take, I think it is misplaced and needs to focus on the line coaches and the special teams (and former WR coach). To be blunt, this team has one unit coach who is a great coach and it is Campbell as has been evidenced by the fantastic WR play we have seen bince his arrival. The rest of the unit coaches are a big reason why we aren't great. If the o-line is salty, O'Keefe looks like even more of a genius because execution is that much easier. If the d-line is salty, Norm's base 4-3 is just fine because QBs don't have time to think.

Latest posts