why didnt oglesby play more?

This is a legit question. One I asked myself while watching. IA needed a shooter on the court to take some pressure off Gatens, IMO. Smith was blanketing Gatens, and Oglesby would have been a good second option.

To those who don't think he is any good. He is a freshman. Also, he has the ability to hit a shot off the dribble, which is huge. The reasons Fran probably did not put him in more, IMO, are his defense/rebounding difficulties, but sometimes a coach has to live with that to get a scorer in the game.

If we want a scorer in the game why is the discussion May vs Oglesby? They are the same in ppg and in shooting percentages. And that's not including Big Ten only stats where I would assume Oglesby looks worse.

How does May have a poor basketball IQ? I never understood why people assert this.

They have the same shooting percentage. May can get to the hoop better than Oglesby from what I've seen and if his defense is better than leave him in.

Eric May can't get to the hoop, what broken TV are you watching?

He dribble drives to the free throw line, jump stops and looks to pass the ball to the wing. You can't isolate May and let him take is defender to the basket. You can't even do that with Gatens and Gatens is way better than May.

Josh O is more of a "basketball" player than Eric May. At this time Josh is 1. not getting consistent minutes and 2. Is not that strong/experienced.

Josh is in a tough spot as I think he would probably benefit a ton from just being thrown to the wolves, but he is at a position which is pretty deep right now so he is getting spot minutes. I think May is way more physically and experience wise ready for Big 10 minutes but I think Johs O has more potential obviously.

Eric May can't get to the hoop, what broken TV are you watching?

He dribble drives to the free throw line, jump stops and looks to pass the ball to the wing. You can't isolate May and let him take is defender to the basket. You can't even do that with Gatens and Gatens is way better than May.

Josh O is more of a "basketball" player than Eric May. At this time Josh is 1. not getting consistent minutes and 2. Is not that strong/experienced.

Josh is in a tough spot as I think he would probably benefit a ton from just being thrown to the wolves, but he is at a position which is pretty deep right now so he is getting spot minutes. I think May is way more physically and experience wise ready for Big 10 minutes but I think Johs O has more potential obviously.

He gets to the hoop more than Oglesby can. I'm sure he misses short floaters because he's shooting from far away.

How is Oglesby more of a "basketball player" exactly?

He gets to the hoop more than Oglesby can. I'm sure he misses short floaters because he's shooting from far away.

He can't get to the hoop consistently. It's not like he is doing it 10 times a game.

Josh is a better ball handler and passer than May. May is a JR and still struggles to handle the ball. Heck Josh handled the ball so well Fran was OK with playing him at PG when Bryce was out.

Josh appears to have a better feel for the game by watching him play ball.

Josh is only a freshman and if he were allowed to play through things as much as Eric has as a freshmen, sophomore and now Junior (minutes are getting cut this year some) then I am sure you would see Josh be a lot more successful. Also May is just a stronger guy as a freshmen and at this point than Josh.

Josh's minutes are probably OK as they are but it is hard for a true freshmen shooter to get in a rhythm when he is not getting consistent minutes. Josh has had a lot of shots roll out as well over the games that his shooting has been off.

You can watch both guys shoot and tell that Josh is a better shooter. You are just dealing with such a small sample size it's hard to say a lot right now.

Oh yeah, May can't really even dribble with his left hand. It's not the end of the world as I think his bread and butter move should be the dribble drive from the wing to the free throw line and pull into a jump shot. He can do this with his right hand and it would still be hard to defend as he is strong and jumps well enough.

Josh will be a solid player. Remember he is only a frehsmen who was used to playing major minutes in AAU and highschool. Now he is learing to come off the bench and play a lot more inconsistent minutes.

Fact is they are two different types of players.

I didn't really mean to imply that he can take a defender off the dribble, he's quick enough to get by some guys but his ball handling skills are weak and I do think that he dribbles too much which can kill the offense. He can get to the hoop with some slashing ability. He's not a great player by any mean.

May can rebound and he can defend and he has some size and strength too him which is valuable and considering Oglesby doesn't have that I'd rather have him in the game in Big Ten play and considering we are playing for something right now (a tourny birth of some kind) I'd rather not risk games for too much development.

The fact that Oglesby has similar numbers as a Freshman does show he has more potential for sure. And I'll admit I've only watched Big Ten play and a handful or non-conference games and I don't seem much from Josh aside from bricking threes and putting up good numbers against cupcakes (which does mean something, don't get me wrong). I was more comparing them as players now as opposed to in the future.

I don't believe Oglesby would do well guarding Robbie Hummel. He is obviously a better shooter than May, but their is more to basketball than shooting. Otherwise every Knights of Columbus Free Throw Contest winner would be playing DI basketball.

This isn't a knock on Oglesby, but people thinking he should be playing more is hard for me to hear. He'll get his time in the right situations. People at the beginning of the year were saying he was better than Gatens. Ha. Coming off the bench is different than being the teams leading scorer. Especially in regards to the other teams defensive plan.

Oglesby will be a nice player for Iowa, but don't gush over a guy that is really only a shooter at the moment. Hoping he gets out of his shooting slump and I'm sure he will because he is a great shooter.

May was in the game for defense and that is why he plays primarily. I would think people would eventually realize this. It isn't hard to see that May isn't an offensive juggernaut and probably won't be one. The kid needs a break from people. He plays hard. He won't live up to the Evan Turner compliment.

Fact is they are two different types of players.

I didn't really mean to imply that he can take a defender off the dribble, he's quick enough to get by some guys but his ball handling skills are weak and I do think that he dribbles too much which can kill the offense. He can get to the hoop with some slashing ability. He's not a great player by any mean.

May can rebound and he can defend and he has some size and strength too him which is valuable and considering Oglesby doesn't have that I'd rather have him in the game in Big Ten play and considering we are playing for something right now (a tourny birth of some kind) I'd rather not risk games for too much development.

The fact that Oglesby has similar numbers as a Freshman does show he has more potential for sure. And I'll admit I've only watched Big Ten play and a handful or non-conference games and I don't seem much from Josh aside from bricking threes and putting up good numbers against cupcakes (which does mean something, don't get me wrong). I was more comparing them as players now as opposed to in the future.

I agree with you.

I think May probably helps out a lot more right now even though I don't think he is very good offensively. He should at least have the potential to score 8 points a game and he brings more size and strength than Josh. In an idel world May is your offensive black hole and others around him pick him up. May is very valuable on the defensive end as he is better at guarding/getting physical with Big 10 SG and wing players. May also has the strenght to grab some boards and scrap in the lane a little to help get some loose balls.
At this point I don't think Josh offers that part of things.

I think Josh should be a better player than May long term offensively. I don't know if he will ever match what May can do on the defensive end. Josh just does not have no will he ever have the physical stature that May has.

How does May have a poor basketball IQ? I never understood why people assert this.

They have the same shooting percentage. May can get to the hoop better than Oglesby from what I've seen and if his defense is better than leave him in.

easy on bay he might have pulled his groin . we`ll get better. its not too late to improve
its like a game of golf
some days you have awesome game, some days you have horrible game but go easy on him he`s a hawkeye.

Eric May is terrible at defense. The idea that he is just limited offensively is silly.

Josh is better with the ball- dribbling, shooting and passing, and is better off the ball. He is also quicker, all of May's 'athleticism' is useless when you can't dribble. Josh is in a slump, but he isn't going to get hot sitting on the bench.

May is stronger, but he adds very little on either side of the court.

You can do plenty with athleticism without dribbling.

Also Oglesby has not proven that he is a better shooter than May. He may have a nicer looking stroke (which would likely predict future results) but they have had incredibly similar results.

Is it really necessary, after every loss, to question the stupidest things...who really cares? if it becomes a trend then discuss it, otherwise let it be.

Eric May is terrible at defense. The idea that he is just limited offensively is silly.

Josh is better with the ball- dribbling, shooting and passing, and is better off the ball. He is also quicker, all of May's 'athleticism' is useless when you can't dribble. Josh is in a slump, but he isn't going to get hot sitting on the bench.

Um, no.

Did you play organized basketball? May gets by because of his athleticism. When you watch him on the floor he is lost half the time. He doesn't have the insticts to know where and what he should do. He makes some spectacular plays and he can lock up his man, but, he also does things that are not helping the team. Love his effort, but he's kind of like a golfer that can drive the ball 350 yards but has no short game or putting. Just saying!

Both May and Oglesby bring something to the table. May is very good on D, and has a lot of B1G experience. He helps bring the ball up court when needed, and is starting to shoot the ball without hesitation which is an improvement from before. Last year and early this season Eric would hesitate to shoot when open. I just wish he had a softer touch. Last night a few shots clanged off the rim.....

Josh is very capable of handling the ball and is a very good at passing the ball, as has been mentioned. I really like his turn-around fadeaway jump shot. It is a thing of perfection, and he makes it most of the time. When he gets more minutes and has a chance to be comfortable in there, his shooting percentage will improve. He is a valuable role player and will only get better. We are lucky to have him.

:)

May is not a terrible defender and no Josh is not quicker than Eric.

Your post is silly.

I don't believe Oglesby would do well guarding Robbie Hummel. He is obviously a better shooter than May, but their is more to basketball than shooting. Otherwise every Knights of Columbus Free Throw Contest winner would be playing DI basketball.

This isn't a knock on Oglesby, but people thinking he should be playing more is hard for me to hear. He'll get his time in the right situations. People at the beginning of the year were saying he was better than Gatens. Ha. Coming off the bench is different than being the teams leading scorer. Especially in regards to the other teams defensive plan.

Oglesby will be a nice player for Iowa, but don't gush over a guy that is really only a shooter at the moment. Hoping he gets out of his shooting slump and I'm sure he will because he is a great shooter.

May was in the game for defense and that is why he plays primarily. I would think people would eventually realize this. It isn't hard to see that May isn't an offensive juggernaut and probably won't be one. The kid needs a break from people. He plays hard. He won't live up to the Evan Turner compliment.

This sums it up perfectly. Oglesby is more in the Gatens mold as a player. That's the role he's going to be expected to take over. May has an entirely different role, and it's an important one, too. He's a very good defender, and we need that on the floor a lot of the time. And he's got enough offensive game that he can chip in, and occasionally get into double figures. That's all gravy for a player in his role.

Turner's compliment was the worst thing to ever happen to May; it got everyone's expectations WAY ramped up, and he'll never be able to live up to them. He really isn't a bad player. He's just bad compared to what people started to hope he would become.

Did you play organized basketball? May gets by because of his athleticism. When you watch him on the floor he is lost half the time. He doesn't have the insticts to know where and what he should do. He makes some spectacular plays and he can lock up his man, but, he also does things that are not helping the team. Love his effort, but he's kind of like a golfer that can drive the ball 350 yards but has no short game or putting. Just saying!

Yes I have but comments like this are worthless.

Eric May is not a good defender, both Marble and Gatens are better. May is fast in a straight line, but when handling the ball, Josh is quicker. May slows down considerably with the ball. He's a guy who can finish on an uncontested break, and that is about it.

Strat, I think most of the board will disagree with you on Mays defensive ability. We have all seen him take on our opponents best offensive player and do a very respectable job. Not sure what games you have been watching.

Latest posts