why didnt oglesby play more?

teknodex

yesterday... I dont get it... especially late in the game when we were down. Doesnt make any sense at all.... May plays instead of Josh....???? what??!!??!

May is better defensively. When you're down, you need stops on the defensive end. Already had shooters on the floor in Gatens, Marble, White. May was playing because he is simply better defensively than Josh.

May is better defensively. May is experienced. May is shooting a higher percentage from 3 point range than Josh. May is more athletic and brings more size

Josh is 3-16 from 3 point range in conference play. If he isn't making 3 pointers he brings little to the table for us right now

May is better defensively. May is experienced. May is shooting a higher percentage from 3 point range than Josh. May is more athletic and brings more sizeJosh is 3-16 from 3 point range in conference play. If he isn't making 3 pointers he brings little to the table for us right now
Didnt realize he was shooting that badly. I thought Josh was the best "shooter" on the team

Oglesby has a very nice skill set...

Didnt realize he was shooting that badly. I thought Josh was the best "shooter" on the team

6-5 to 6-6 guy who can shoot, handle it a little, move pretty good. But in his current role, his value to the team lies mostly in his ability to make open shots. When you play limited minutes, it can be tough to get into a rhythm. Couple that with the fact that B1G defenses know he can shoot and guard him tightly, and it's not surprising to see him struggle a bit.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a stretch of games where he makes 10 out of 18 3-point shots or something like that. He'll have opportunities against teams like Penn State and Northwestern, who both play a lot of zone, to make outside shots.

The time that he's getting this year will benefit him greatly next year and beyond.

I don't get why people on here love Oglesby. The only thing he has right now is a decent shot.

I don't love May but he can get to the hoop. His touch his horrible when he gets there. But he can do it.

I don't get why people on here love Oglesby. The only thing he has right now is a decent shot.

I don't love May but he can get to the hoop. His touch his horrible when he gets there. But he can do it.

What the point of getting there if you never finish? The only thing May has over Oglesby is hes stronger, and he should be, hes a junior.

What the point of getting there if you never finish? The only thing May has over Oglesby is hes stronger, and he should be, hes a junior.

It's not like never finishes, he does at times and that threat is what opens up offenses and give other teams opportunities. A good shooter opens up offenses too but I like a guy who can beat his man and get to the basket, regardless of if they can finish, than a guy who might be able to knock down an open three occasionally.

A guy like May can where down the defense at the very least though he does have his weaknesses as well.

Did you watch the Michigan game? Ogelsby had 7 points in 4 minutes or something like that. Shooters are streaky and you have to take the good with the bad. Oglesby was brought in to be a specialst and for a freshman, I would say he has done a decent job.

Did you watch the Michigan game? Ogelsby had 7 points in 4 minutes or something like that. Shooters are streaky and you have to take the good with the bad. Oglesby was brought in to be a specialst and for a freshman, I would say he has done a decent job.

I admittedly only watched a portion of Michigan, which seems to be his best game against a non-cupcake. I agree that a good shooter has his place in limited minutes. Which is what he is getting, don't know if I want him in much more than that.

And actually it looks like when he is hitting he plays about 20 minutes, other wise it's about 9-10 which is fine with me.

I should say, when I say I don't under stand why people love Oglesby, I've seen people lump him in with Marble, Basabe and White. He's not on their level, he's a good shooter who comes off the bench and I'm ok with him in that role. Good teams usually have that type of player.

Olglesby is a basketball player and May is an athlete. Mays basketball IQ is very low while Oglesbys is much higher. Olglesby is much more than a shooter but as a freshman he has some learning to do. May is better at defense because he is such a great athlete. I would prefer to see Oglesby get more minutes and learn to play better defense.

This is a legit question. One I asked myself while watching. IA needed a shooter on the court to take some pressure off Gatens, IMO. Smith was blanketing Gatens, and Oglesby would have been a good second option.

To those who don't think he is any good. He is a freshman. Also, he has the ability to hit a shot off the dribble, which is huge. The reasons Fran probably did not put him in more, IMO, are his defense/rebounding difficulties, but sometimes a coach has to live with that to get a scorer in the game.

He's 9 for 34 since the Clemson game. That's 26%. He's not valuable enough as a shooter right now to put him in over May

He had 7 points in 16 minutes in that game. He's shooting 19 % from 3 in Big Ten play. He's struggling.

McCaffrey is trying to get whatever he can out of whoever he can from game to game. Ideally we would have Hubbard or someone like that to play ahead of May and Oglesby, but we don't. He recognizes that if Oglesby isn't making shots he is a defensive liability, so he goes on the floor with a short leash.

Olglesby is a basketball player and May is an athlete. Mays basketball IQ is very low while Oglesbys is much higher. Olglesby is much more than a shooter but as a freshman he has some learning to do. May is better at defense because he is such a great athlete. I would prefer to see Oglesby get more minutes and learn to play better defense.

How does May have a poor basketball IQ? I never understood why people assert this.

They have the same shooting percentage. May can get to the hoop better than Oglesby from what I've seen and if his defense is better than leave him in.

Latest posts