Why did we give up on the Dual-Threat QB after the Brad Banks season?

Joshbrown

I seem to remember a Fla QB who was a threat every time he touched the ball. I also seem to remember him almost winning the Heisman. Why was he the first and last of his kind during KF's reign?

Anyone? Bueller?

You're seriously asking that question??

You know "because it worked" doesn't influence KF any more than "because it failed" does!

I seem to remember a Fla QB who was a threat every time he touched the ball. I also seem to remember him almost winning the Heisman. Why was he the first and last of his kind during KF's reign?

Anyone? Bueller?

Banks wasnt the last dual threat QB as Drew Tate made a lot of great plays scrambling and running. they didnt run much option action with Tate while they did some soption with Banks. Tate could have run more and Stanzi was ok running the ball as is CJ. But KF likes that historically I-formation hand off the ball and the QB is mostly throwing from the pocket. It is great when you have the horses.

Seemed to me they tried to make Banks a pocket Passer the whole year. They had Chandler rolling out of the pocket the following year more than Banks did.

We still offer dual-threat QBs. We offered some in this class. It's hard to convince them to come play in a pro-style offense.

^^^^^This. Remember the running yards Banks gained were on designed QB draws or going through your reads/progressions and if nothing is there take off. I was wrong I thought running a pro-style offense would be a selling point for the Iowa program, clearly it is not. Houston Nutt getting fired and Iowa running a pro-style offense got CJB here. He is the exception and he isn't even a true dual threat.

Seemed to me they tried to make Banks a pocket Passer the whole year. They had Chandler rolling out of the pocket the following year more than Banks did.

Ramon Ochoa = Riley McCarron

Ahhh, Ramon Ochoa was the leading receiver and NC was chucking passes to his brother because he was really, really tall. Bootlegs and waggles the good ole days when Iowa actually tried things on offense.:)

Guys like Joel Lanning and Jesse Ertz are attainable if that is what you want. It would mean completely revamping the offense and running a K-State type spread. Or think Northwestern with Persa.

People don't recall that we got Banks as a fall back option. Another great story during the Ferentz era that we sadly happened upon.

There have been a number of dual threat qbs on campus since Banks. Some have already been mentioned.....here are a couple more:
Manson, McNutt, Derby, Nelson (unsure if he was a dual since he never played). It takes a special skill set as a dual threat qb to win the job in a non KState type offense and be successful.

Ramon Ochoa = Riley McCarron

Ahhh, Ramon Ochoa was the leading receiver and NC was chucking passes to his brother because he was really, really tall. Bootlegs and waggles the good ole days when Iowa actually tried things on offense.:)

Scott Chandler did play as a true freshman when his brother was QB, but he never caught a pass and I only remember them trying to throw it to him once on an end zone jump ball. Would've been cool to see him catch one though.

Eric McCollum was another "dual threat" guy his freshman year, then moved to receiver as a sophomore. But he was the same grade as Tate so he was never going to be more than the backup.

We still offer dual-threat QBs. We offered some in this class. It's hard to convince them to come play in a pro-style offense.

Rocky Lombardi.

Banks legs helped us to an 8-0 conference season and CJB's legs did the same thing in 2015.

Would you agree that being inflexible in our offensive scheme makes it easier for our opponents to scout us? Thus costing us wins.

A lot of the guys that the 'crootin websites describe as "dual threat" are really just " single threat" when they show up on campus or play against guys their own size who they can't just run away from. Jake C was a dual threat guy who was more like a "zero threat" guy when he stepped onto the field, but then he transferred to a smaller school and dominated for his final year.

Latest posts