Why did we give up on the Dual-Threat QB after the Brad Banks season?

Some guys that are a duel threat guy in HS don't translate to the college game. JC wasn't even close to being a running QB at the college level. He wasn't a statue but after getting to Iowa turned into a weight room warrior and got as bulked up as an Qb ever has.
I just think that Tommy Armstrong is a picture perfect example. A guy like that has put up some great numbers right? But he's a guy that would have had our fan base pulling our hair out week in and week out. I think it shrinks your playbook down if they are lacking in the drop back game side of things. I remember him missing about 3 or 4 deep passes against us where their WR was running free behind the secondary... I wonder how many of those did he miss during his career you think? Lots and lots of them. I'd have been interesting if say AJ Derby would have been able to climb the depth chart to start. He'd have been a Tim Tebowesque type of QB I bet. He liked to run and hit. But that's about as close to one as Iowa's had since Banks I'd say... Drew Tate wasn't a duel threat. He ran to pass I don't think he ran a whole lot for yards maybe my memory is foggy there but without looking up his stats that's kinda what I remember.

I'm looking at it from the following perspective.

A mobile QB keeps the defense guessing. I believe a program can have a dual threat QB who is able to perform in drop back passing situations, and is also able to do other things like execute the option.

What I'm getting at is the right dual-threat QB could allow our offense more possibilities. More possibilities = more scoring in my mind.

IIRC Iowa's scoring offense in 2002 was ranked higher than any other team in the KF era. I believe that's true because of Banks ability, and how Banks was used, and also how Banks was allowed to freelance.

I believe KF has recruited some dual threats since 2002 but it seems none were really given a chance to show what they could do on the field. Again, the stubbornness factor seems to be in play on this issue.

...I believe that's true because of Banks ability, and how Banks was used, and also how Banks was allowed to freelance.
I believe I heard Brad say that it was because he was having trouble memorizing the playbook and applying that to his defensive reads. Ability and instinct then kick in.

I believe I heard Brad say that it was because he was having trouble memorizing the playbook and applying that to his defensive reads. Ability and instinct then kick in.

Now you've got me thinking about a guy like him who COULD memorize the playbook and still use his ability and instincts. Then we have an invincible QB.

It'll be interesting to see how Dantonio uses Lombardi. And how Wisky uses Zaire.

I just think that Tommy Armstrong is a picture perfect example. A guy like that has put up some great numbers right? But he's a guy that would have had our fan base pulling our hair out week in and week out. I think it shrinks your playbook down if they are lacking in the drop back game side of things. I remember him missing about 3 or 4 deep passes against us where their WR was running free behind the secondary...
I rewatched that game last weekend; there were 3 passes he overthrew wide open receivers who would have been unimpeded to the end one. Which sucks, don't get me wrong.

But they still would have lost by 9.

HAHA.

What is a "dual threat" quarterback?

If you consider someone who can run for 100 yards and pass for 200? Those players don't come to Iowa because we dont run spread/ run option offense.

If you consider someone who can pass and has some athletic ability to scramble enough to keep plays alive or get a little, then we have recruited many of those. Banks, Tate, JC Ruddock, CJ are starters with some mobility.

I prefer Pro Style QBs with some mobility to the Denard Robinson type of QB.

I agree with the point that only if we had a dual threat QB like Tommy Armstrong, Iowa would finish with double digit wins every year and that our offense would be a dynamic matchup nightmare. It's a failure of the coaching staff that Iowa hasn't been able to recruit more Tommy Armstrong's.

Mediocrity at it's finest............sigh. It is what it is. What it isn't is championship caliber college football. As long as KF and the powers that be are here it will always be the same ole same ole. I can't do anything about, I can't change it. Griping and complaining about it will not change a thing. It's time to put up the white flag and surrender to the blazai crowd. Happy when they do win, but at this point it is obvious the the dynamics of the expectations of the Iowa fan base does not entell the true spirit of competition to be the best.

You know the fans of the most successful programs have a strong animosity toward each other. If you talk to them NONE of them have those feelings towards IOWA. Why? Because they feel absolutely no threat from IOWA at all.........sigh. I made myself pretty clear on this matter and how I feel about it over the years I have been on this forum but like I said it's time to hoist up the white flag. That is only in regards to Iowa athletics because I have no control over that.

Step back capabilities.

What do I mean? I would ask this of myself and anybody who believes in true integrity especially when it comes to certain subjects. The obvious common ones are religion and politics. People get so caught up in their egos and pride that they seldom ever step back for a minute and honestly appraise their positions and true values. Sometimes failure to do this can be very dangerous and has cost people their lives. David Karesh followers, Jim Jones followers, etc. Politics is very similar. I won't get into the politics here as you cannot win an argument when people are closed and narrow minded. Plus Rob has asked us not to do it so I will respect it.

Why bring this up?

Well I been stepping back and looking at a lot of the thoughts and feelings from the Iowa fan base as I've seen here on HAWKEYE nation. I see peole get involved with following some of the most simple parts of Iowa athletics. Some go as far as to keep track of what teenage recruits are tweeting and saying. Really??? Why bother when you know where this ship is sailing to. It doesn't make sense to waste so much time and energy when in the end all yah get is disappointment and frustration. It's always that next recruiting class that is going to make the difference and put Iowa over the top. Then what happens? 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6, 9-3, 7-5, 6-6........ you get the point, mediocrity.

Well the truth is most people's lives are the definition of mediocrity and living in comfort zones. It's one way to not have to deal with the disappointments. If you don't have high expectations you never have to deal disappointments. I can't condemn this as people are what they are and who is to say they are wrong. Maybe I am wrong on how I look at things, but I can't help it that I am the way I am anymore than others can help the way hey are. I have really seen this in religion and even in my own church. Everyone knows what the tenants are of their faith but a very, very, small percent actually live those tenants. Why? It comes back to those comfort zones again. People want to just go through life and enjoy as much of it as they can. That is extremely common.

Olympians are anything but common. They sprinted away from all comfort zones. Usually to be the best requires that you have to put off naturals tendencies. To do that you have to be able to recognize them. How do you do that? By stepping back and being honest with yourselves and committing to change things that are within your power. It is extremely challenging and will be anything but easy. Natural tendencies are the most difficult to overcome.

The apathy and nutuaral tendencies that Hayden Fry addressed when he first got here must have seemed insurmountable at first. "Were just little ole Iowa and we can't be successful." He proved it can be done. Unfortunately like the alcoholics who eventually falls off the wagon and goes but to there ole ways, The powers that be here at the University of Iowa have sunk back into their old ways. Not to pre-Hayden days but some where in between.....................oh that's right that's mediocrity, a huge comfort zone. I would be ok with something that looks more like this 9-3, 10-2. 8-4, 11-1, 9-3, 10-2, and yes even a 7-5 or 6-6 once in awhile. It however should not be the standard for any fan base and Governing body of a major University to accept mediocrity but Unfortunately at Iowa it is.

Like I said I am not judging people for being what they feel comfortable being. Since I am in the grave minority maybe I am the one that's wrong. Maybe I just need to chill out and go along with the crowd. I just can't be that way. I guess I am just made up differently. One other fault I have is I am very very loyal to the things I value, family, religion, country, and my life long sports teams. All I can say is Go HAWKS!!!! One game at a time and hope for the best but seldom expect it. That's reality.

Last edited:
Mediocrity at it's finest............sigh. It is what it is. What it isn't is championship caliber college football. As long as KF and the powers that be are here it will always be the same ole same ole. I can't do anything about, I can't change it. Griping and complaining about it will not change a thing. It's time to put up the white flag and surrender to the blazai crowd. Happy when they do win, but at this point it is obvious the the dynamics of the expectations of the Iowa fan base does not entell the true spirit of competition to be the best.

You know the fans of the most successful programs have a strong animosity toward each other. If you talk to them NONE of them have those feelings towards IOWA. Why? Because they feel absolutely no threat from IOWA at all.........sigh. I made myself pretty clear on this matter and how I feel about it over the years I have been on this forum but like I said it's time to hoist up the white flag. That is only in regards to Iowa athletics because I have no control over that.

Step back capabilities.

What do I mean? I would ask this of myself and anybody who believes in true integrity especially when it comes to certain subjects. The obvious common ones are religion and politics. People get so caught up in their egos and pride that they seldom ever step back for a minute and honestly appraise their positions and true values. Sometimes failure to do this can be very dangerous and has cost people their lives. David Karesh followers, Jim Jones followers, etc. Politics is very similar. I won't get into the politics here as you cannot win an argument when people are closed and narrow minded. Plus Rob has asked us not to do it so I will respect it.

Why bring this up?

Well I been stepping back and looking at a lot of the thoughts and feelings from the Iowa fan base as I've seen here on HAWKEYE nation. I see peole get involved with following some of the most simple parts of Iowa athletics. Some go as far as to keep track of what teenage recruits are tweeting and saying. Really??? Why bother when you know where this ship is sailing to. It doesn't make sense to waste so much time and energy when in the end all yah get is disappointment and frustration. It's always that next recruiting class that is going to make the difference and put Iowa over the top. Then what happens? 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6, 9-3, 7-5, 6-6........ you get the point, mediocrity.

Well the truth is most people's lives are the definition of mediocrity and living in comfort zones. It's one way to not have to deal with the disappointments. If you don't have high expectations you never have to deal disappointments. I can't condemn this as people are what they are and who is to say they are wrong. Maybe I am wrong on how I look at things, but I can't help it that I am the way I am anymore than others can help the way hey are. I have really seen this in religion and even in my own church. Everyone knows what the tenants are of their faith but a very, very, small percent actually live those tenants. Why? It comes back to those comfort zones again. People want to just go through life and enjoy as much of it as they can. That is extremely common.

Olympians are anything but common. They sprinted away from all comfort zones. Usually to be the best requires that you have to put off naturals tendencies. To do that you have to be able to recognize them. How do you do that? By stepping back and being honest with yourselves and committing to change things that are within your power. It is extremely challenging and will be anything but easy. Natural tendencies are the most difficult to overcome.

The apathy and nutuaral tendencies that Hayden Fry addressed when he first got here must have seemed insurmountable at first. "Were just little ole Iowa and we can't be successful." He proved it can be done. Unfortunately like the alcoholics who eventually falls off the wagon and goes but to there ole ways, The powers that be here at the University of Iowa have sunk back into their old ways. Not to pre-Hayden days but some where in between.....................oh that's right that's mediocrity, a huge comfort zone. I would be ok with something that looks more like this 9-3, 10-2. 8-4, 11-1, 9-3, 10-2, and yes even a 7-5 or 6-6 once in awhile. It however should not be the standard for any fan base and Governing body of a major University to accept mediocrity but Unfortunately at Iowa it is.

Like I said I am not judging people for being what they feel comfortable being. Since I am in the grave minority maybe I am the one that's wrong. Maybe I just need to chill out and go along with the crowd. I just can't be that way. I guess I am just made up differently. One other fault I have is I am very very loyal to the things I value, family, religion, country, and my life long sports teams. All I can say is Go HAWKS!!!! One game at a time and hope for the best but seldom expect it. That's reality.

Overall nice post. You hit much of how I feel. Having a bad Christmas though? That took some time....

Overall nice post. You hit much of how I feel. Having a bad Christmas though? That took some time....

Actually had the day off from work and was just relaxing around home reflecting on a few things that have been on my mind that I usually don't have the time to express and write down.

Latest posts