Why did Barta use Parker after failing the first hire?

SwirlinLingerie

Does anyone else find it odd that Barta went right back to Parker Executive Search - for $50,000, no less - three years after the Lickliter hire?

What's the point of using them?

Lickliter was AP Coach of the Year...doesn't exactly take high level researchers and inside sources to figure out he was a candidate for major jobs. Yet, I would think where Parker would earn their money would be in assessing the fit of candidate to school. Did nothing pop that Lickliter, based on recruiting style and personality, would possibly have trouble bringing in players to compete in the Big Ten, as well as struggle with the I-Club responsibilities and engaging style Iowa fans demand of a head coach?

So Parker recommended the national coach of the year who turned out to be a pretty bad fit based on some fairly observable traits? And we go right back to them three years later?

Parker has a good gig going.

How in the world would the search firm know the future intracacies of Lick's shortcomings at the U of I? They didn't have a crystal ball. Lickliter was previously a success on all accounts.

The client sets many of the parameters which the search firm uses in their search. If Parker were as 100% spot on in all of their searches as you seem to expect, and hit one out of the park each time, I think they'd be worth more than their $50K fee.

This demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of why and how search firms are used.

Parker didn't choose Lickliter, and didn't choose McCaffery.

Parker doesn't do the hiring! They provide names, create aquaintances, and provide confidentiality. It's up to the school to glean what they want from resumes, phone calls and contacts. I don't think you can fault Parker for any of the Lickliter fiasco.

Auctually, I have been involved with head hunters from both sides and it is there responsibility to screen the applicants in addition, to locating them (If they are worth the paper that their contract is written upon anyway). The firm should do the locating, narrowing of the list, background work, and even the initial interview process for their client.

Now can we blame Parker for Lick's downfall, no not really...the final selection process should be completed by the employers. The employer still has the responsibility to check all references, complete a full interview, background checks, and other related hiring processes. Can we blame Barta, well I would like to blame someone, but what good is it going to do at this point?

I also believe Lickliter wasn't our first choice after the search but we were turned down by a few other candidates.

Take a look at Parker's website. Some of their key selling points on athletic hires:

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our extensive contacts with thought leaders in collegiate athletics, combined with the original research we conduct for every search, enable us to provide highly qualified candidates who will meet and exceed our clients’ expectations.

[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Through our experience conducting searches at all levels within higher education, we have gained a unique understanding of the broader university community and the importance of the integration of academics and athletics.[/FONT]
I'd suggest that Parker is, without a doubt, selling their ability to find a custom fit.

Good points in that they offer confidentially and that Lick may have been fairly low on their recommendation list for Iowa, even if they did tout that as a key hire on their website for the last several years.

Still, I'd think Barta may have been more hesitant to employ them the second time around. Perhaps he refined his own search criteria this time around and relied less on their identified candidates and more on his instincts, Tom Davis, etc...

Ah, the daily "someone in the world of college athletics was wrong that one time and should never be listened to or hired for another job ever again" thread.

Ah, the daily "someone in the world of college athletics was wrong that one time and should never be listened to or hired for another job ever again" thread.

Bingo...any moment now there should be the customary "I hope Barta's not around when Kirk retires, because I don't trust him to make the right hire, based on the Lickliter hire not being a grandslam" response...

Edit: Just for the record, when Kirk does retire...we should ALL be very VERY nervous...no matter who the AD is.

Last edited:
Nope, not saying that. Just asked if anyone was surprised. My guess is that Tom Davis and others told Barta (for free, not $50k) some of the characteristics that an Iowa coach had to have.

If Parker heavily recommended Lick for the Iowa job last time, I'd think Barta might place less importance on their recommendation this time around. And it does seem like he relied on more people with knowledge of the Iowa position this time around.

Nope, not saying that. Just asked if anyone was surprised. My guess is that Tom Davis and others told Barta (for free, not $50k) some of the characteristics that an Iowa coach had to have.

If Parker heavily recommended Lick for the Iowa job last time, I'd think Barta might place less importance on their recommendation this time around. And it does seem like he relied on more people with knowledge of the Iowa position this time around.

I see your point Swirlin...but that's just how Gary does things I guess. I don't know why anyone would hire any search firm to begin with...I thought part of the AD's job was to come up with his own list of candidates he likes in these situations...not just go ask someone else to do it.

Don't you think they hire a search firm so there is no direct contact between the parties until negotiations begin?

Bingo...any moment now there should be the customary "I hope Barta's not around when Kirk retires, because I don't trust him to make the right hire, based on the Lickliter hire not being a grandslam" response...

Edit: Just for the record, when Kirk does retire...we should ALL be very VERY nervous...no matter who the AD is.

excuse me if i don't get VERY nervous over college sports.

The confidentiality is probably more of a criteria than anything. Coaches don't want to be known for interviewing for jobs that they either don't get or that they chose to decline. Search companies put clients in touch with schools that are more compatable with each other and save on a lot of unnecessary conversations and time chasing down false leads. I agree with a previous poster that sites the screening of applicants for the school and putting coaches who are qualified (fit the school's criteria) with the right level of competition.

edgyhawk, I agree. I can see the need to use Parker to keep things confidential and set up meetings and interviews.

But that gets back to my point. $50,000 to come up with a list of candidates (which most ADs probably have anyway) and to set up a couple meetings/phone calls is a good gig.

And when your recommendation bombs three years later, and your client comes right back to you with $50k and a request to set up some more phone calls and hotel meetings, I'd say you maybe even have a great gig.

excuse me if i don't get VERY nervous over college sports.

I'll excuse you for saying that while sporting a "franstheman" screen name and posting on a college sports message board...it's apparent you don't care much about college sports at all...my bad...

And I wasn't equating a coaching hire to things that really matter in life...that's on you for taking it there.

Schools use Parker to keep the search quiet, but also to do background checks. ADs all have a list, but when its time sensitive, they need someone to do the legwork. Thus 50K to Parker.

In the context of how much a university invests in a basketball coach, $50K is chump change. I don't know what exact services Parker provided, but I don't think the money paid was a big concern for anyone.

Latest posts