Why are we taking grad transfers all of a sudden?

lightning1

Our offense has muddled along for decades and it's been good enough in the past. Who's idea is this? BF or KF?
Maybe one of our 5* sports writers can ask that question next time the corner someone from the coaching staff.

Iowa has always taken transfers that I know of. There have been tons. As far as grad transfers, I think you can look at Rudock transition and situation as likely being one that Kirk followed along closely.

Exactly.

After Iowa losing Sokol, Rudock, DMX, Parker, etc. to the grad transfer rule, I think its starting to sink in for KF that times are different now.

And really what is wrong with it? Yes, its wierd to see a player graduate and still have eligiblity left, but graduates have been playing for years, just until recently they have been playing for the same school as their undergrad school.

Really you should have a rule once a player graduates, he is no long eligible. Period. Of course if that was the rule, no player would graduate until his eligiblity was done, but that would pretty much take care of the grad transfer rule.

Didn't Derek Mitchel do it too? I think it's happened so recently at Iowa so often that KF HAS to look at it as a viable option to make his team better.

I think what feels so weird is that KF used to be one of the last coaches in college football with any kind of integrity. Whether you supported him or not, you knew he was a real football man. But not anymore. Its like he spends his free time texting former recruits who have been playing for other schools for three years. What happened to this guy? I used to be proud to call myself a Hawkeye fan.

At this point if it will bring some speed to the team for one year and possibly help with recruiting the next cycle...I am all for getting these players. We needed speed on the outside, we got one. We needed a guy who can play in the slot. we got one and can block as well. Hopefully these guys contribute right away.

Honestly, I thinm Ron last year was desparation.
I think any we take this year would be to boost depth. Excepg for any WR, that could be desparation as well, but I do have faith that we have two WR that can catch the ball, and at least two that will strecth the field even if they don't have consistent hands. Add in the incoming freshmen and I think they will be servicable.

You do realize KF was doing pretty well at Iowa 15 years ago.

15 years ago Iowa went 11-2, won the B1G championship. That began a 31-7 three year run with 2 B1G titles.

Maybe next time use 10 years ago as your reference point.
my reference point was "the first 15 years". Maybe next time try taking and passing a reading comprehension class.

I don't see the downside. If you take one, you obviously have the scholarship open and it's too late to fill with a HS grad. If they come in and contribute, it's a bonus. If they're not good enough to contribute, their scholarship is not taking up any space and can be used again the next year.