Why are people acting like we won last night?

HawkIreign

The fact that people are singing the praises of a team that got outscored 20-7 in the final 7 minutes and gave up 45 second half points is just sad. I have to admit that I'm seeing a little improvement and I love the fact that our best, smartest, and most athletic player is a freshman but I'm far from juimping on the Lickliter bandwagon.

The fact that people are singing the praises of a team that got outscored 20-7 in the final 7 minutes and gave up 45 second half points is just sad. I have to admit that I'm seeing a little improvement and I love the fact that our best, smartest, and most athletic player is a freshman but I'm far from juimping on the Lickliter bandwagon.

We know things are not great. We know the program is at a low point. We realize this team is one of the worst in Iowa basketball over the past three decades.

We can sit around and **** and moan about it for the next two months, or we can look for signs of life, if they are there. And people, myself included, are seeing some signs of life,and we are appreciating the effort these kids are putting forth.

They bust their tails in practice each day the same way a championship team does. So while there are serious issues in the program, and those certainly get discussed enough, pardon some of us if we'd like to talk about some of the positives we are seeing.

We know things are not great. We know the program is at a low point. We realize this team is one of the worst in Iowa basketball over the past three decades.

We can sit around and **** and moan about it for the next two months, or we can look for signs of life, if they are there. And people, myself included, are seeing some signs of life,and we are appreciating the effort these kids are putting forth.

They bust their tails in practice each day the same way a championship team does. So while there are serious issues in the program, and those certainly get discussed enough, pardon some of us if we'd like to talk about some of the positives we are seeing.

This sums it up well HawkIreign. All of us know that you and the usually suspect that are going to p!ss and moan about this team. You guys cover every single angle of the negative side of the programs, and kudos to you guys, as you leave absolutely no negative stone unturned. That means all the rest of us have to discuss the positives we see, so thank you for that as I could never go through life p!ssing and moaning away like you do!

I have to say that the first half was very positive, and the second half was very negative. So both sides have a lot to talk about today...

I have to say that the first half was very positive, and the second half was very negative. So both sides have a lot to talk about today...

I wouldn't say the second half was very negative. Iowa led for what, 17 of the 20 minutes? The last minutes were negative...an undermanned and youngish team wilted under some of the pressure and adjustments that Ohio State made.

I thought they played well in the second half. When Ohio St. started the full court press, that threw Iowa off of their offensive rhythm. It seemed from that point on, we just didn't get as many good looks as we were before.

2010 College Basketball Statistics

Iowa is 337th out of 347 D1 teams in terms of game experience (you'd think that would be good for last in the B10 but Indiana is 338th), which I believe is weighted by minutes played. For Iowa to be so close late in these games tells me Iowa's key players are developing pretty quickly. By the time they are juniors and seniors, they should be capable of some special things.

Would you have rather have them get blown out by 25?

I may tend to agree with you if this was the first year of this unfortunately we are rounding out year 3. And I'm so sick and tired or people giving them credit for playing hard. Play hard or find something new to do.

2010 College Basketball Statistics

Iowa is 337th out of 347 D1 teams in terms of game experience (you'd think that would be good for last in the B10 but Indiana is 338th), which I believe is weighted by minutes played. For Iowa to be so close late in these games tells me Iowa's key players are developing pretty quickly. By the time they are juniors and seniors, they should be capable of some special things.

Amen to that. The light is shining brighter at the end of the tunnel. We were in that game until the very end, and then made a couple of mistakes. I'm looking for positives and I see a bunch.

I am now excited to see the rest of this basketball season. Over/under on number of Big Ten wins the rest of the year?

I may tend to agree with you if this was the first year of this unfortunately we are rounding out year 3. And I'm so sick and tired or people giving them credit for playing hard. Play hard or find something new to do.
It's basically Year 1 1/2 with the departures. Blame the coach, blame the players that left, blame fate, but that's the reality. Iowa is not in Year 3 from a logical standpoint.

All Iowa fans are frustrated to be looking at a third straight dismal final record,and no ''March Situations'' for the 4th straight year. It is what it is...a horrible drought for Iowa bb. But, that said, at least we can glean some entertainment value out of the last 5 games, being competitive is the first step toward the long climb back to respectibility. I think we all know that the coaching situation is not changing until the spring of 2011 at the earliest, so no need to even go there at this time.

What I am encouraged by is that no matter what happens after next season, we most likely will have a decently full cupboard for the 2011-12 season.
And maybe more importantly, we are playing well enough to possibly maintain the interest of a Chasson Randle for the 2011 season...if Lick could convince a recruit like that to sign next November,his future at Iowa suddenly brightens,as does the Iowa program...then securing a Marcus Paige the next year,and Jok the year after...ok,I am dreaming big now. When it is bleak and dark, we cling to any rays of hope,naturally. Now, please Hawks...go to Michigan and shock the Wolves for the 3rd time in 4 trips to AA.. one team we seem to be able to beat on the road.

I wouldn't say the second half was very negative. Iowa led for what, 17 of the 20 minutes? The last minutes were negative...an undermanned and youngish team wilted under some of the pressure and adjustments that Ohio State made.
I'm seeing some good things too, but just to clarify, Jon. Undermanned in athletic ability maybe, but Ohio State's starters averaged 36 minutes a game and ours 32 minutes a game. Our guys had slightly more rest than they did. Don't mean to be picky but the short bench argument, not saying you're using it, always seems to imply that we don't play as many bodies as the other teams. In this case, it's simply not true.

I am glad that I'm finally mad about a game we coulda/shoulda won. But I still put a lot of this on the coaching staff. We were not prepared for the 1-3-1 which tOSU has played a lot of this year. Our inbounds plays from under the basket are pathetic. Down 3 with 1:30 to go and all we can do is 1st call a TO, then heave a pass to 1/2 court to a guy who was standing there when the play began!?! How I miss scoring on inbounds plays (aside from Fuller's when he made an improptu cut).

Absolutely. But as fans, it's not realistic to say it's Year 3 in terms of the program itself.
So if more players leave this year (and I do not think that will happen), the program is still in year one and a half? Let's not confuse logic and realism with optimism. Nothing wrong with optimism; I'm all for it. I have finally seen the light, can watch the games knowing what the coaching staff is trying to achieve, and hope the kids can pull it off. Heck, I even yell "Pull back" when it looks like someone might try a two on two fast break.:) Still can't quite get real entusiastic about the style though.

So if more players leave this year (and I do not think that will happen), the program is still in year one and a half? Let's not confuse logic and realism with optimism. Nothing wrong with optimism; I'm all for it. I have finally seen the light, can watch the games knowing what the coaching staff is trying to achieve, and hope the kids can pull it off. Heck, I even yell "Pull back" when it looks like someone might try a two on two fast break.:) Still can't quite get real entusiastic about the style though.
I don't think Spank is confusing anything, just pointing out that with departures and what not it is like only being a year and 1/2 in. I'm at the point where all the negative BS makes me mad and I'm pulling for the kids and coaches even harder. As a Hawk fan I guess I want the best for my teams and will not sit around and say negative things because the players at least deserve more than that.

Lickliter has his players on the team now. If players leave now, it's on the staff for recruiting the wrong players, not keeping them happy, etc...

The problem with the departures in the first couple years was that they were all spread out. Iowa couldn't get consistency or any senior leadership with that. If there was a mass exodus in Year 1 it would have been a lot better than lose 3 guys every year. That sort of malretention kills a program.

The bed is made now, though. The team will need to perform. We'll know mid-season next year if the Lickliter era is doomed or not.

That's funny, I found the general sentiment of the board last night to be disappointment in a close loss in a game the Hawks could have easily won. I saw some people that applauded the effort, but I did not see one post from anybody that thought the Hawks won or that that game was a moral victory. Please don't try to make up reasons to hate and antagonize!!!