who's your starting 5?

Unless Cougill was seriously injured last year, it would be remarkable for him to improve physically enough to be a Big Ten starter. Additionally, unless Archie has improved more than any player in the last ten years, without playing any, then he won't be a major contributor.

With Frans up-tempo desire, slow big men do not fit the bill. Cougs will be great off the bench to help provide depth to back up Basabe and Cole, but if he sees a lot of minutes, it will surely slow up his desired pace. I can hope he improves and can turn into a productive player, but last year did not show me anything to think this.

My five: Payne, Gatens, May, Basabe, and Cole.

I am going to guess you really did not pay any attention to Cougill then all year if you really believe that.

Okay youre the second person that has basically just said, "you are wrong" without any kind of eveidence or commentary as to why I'm wrong. Slow, uncoordinated, looked lost on the court, appeared to be afraid of contact or going below the free throw line extended period. It's hard to get rebounds when you don't tread in the areas where the majority of the rebounds are going to fall. There's my opinion, where's yours?

Okay youre the second person that has basically just said, "you are wrong" without any kind of eveidence or commentary as to why I'm wrong. Slow, uncoordinated, looked lost on the court, appeared to be afraid of contact or going below the free throw line extended period. It's hard to get rebounds when you don't tread in the areas where the majority of the rebounds are going to fall. There's my opinion, where's yours?

Cougill is going to be riding the pine all year. At least I hope he is.

Your middle name must be Kettle...

So, you take offense when someone else differs from your opinion, even though with your first post you gave no "Evidence or Commentary." Interesting...

Your middle name must be Kettle...

So, you take offense when someone else differs from your opinion, even though with your first post you gave no "Evidence or Commentary." Interesting...

Way to take it out of context, you forgot to include the other 3 or 4 posts Ive made in this thread.

Part of the issues with any basketball player can be broken down in to what they are asked to do. Cougill is not a defender that has quick feet. He should never be stepping outside of the lane to try and stop his opponent off the dribble. His butt needs to be firmly planted inside the lane to be a rebounder and a big body that can occupy space. He doesn't get pushed around when he's inside and has good technique. He has a high basketball IQ as well.

Why Lick asked him to try and defend outside of the paint is a mystery to me but a lot of the things that Lick did were a mystery. Cougill average 3.0 rebounds while only averaging 14.8 minutes per game. I don't expect him to be a 10 rebound a game guy and I don't expect him to be a 1st team all-big ten guy but I do think he will contribute a lot more than most expect at this point. To me, he is a solid role player that creates a pretty tough matchup on the offensive side of the ball as he can step out beyond 10 feet and shoot the ball. He had the 2nd highest 3 pt % and the third highest FG % on the team.

Next year I bet we see a lot more zone as it appears that Fran likes to mix up his defenses a lot. Cougs will see plenty of minutes and I'm looking forward to the season.

Uncoordinated? are you serious? For a big him he seems to be very coordinated. He looked lost because Lick's system was stupid plain and simple. Plus Lick's system has him out around the 3-point line a ton becasue he is a great shooter. Plus for a big man he has great skills with the ball and is the best passing big man we have on the team. Plus it is hard to get rebounds when the previous coach had him out around the 3-point line don't yeah think?

Another thing. Everyone keeps talking about up tempo team and then knocking Cougs for his lack of speed. In an uptempo game, you don't have all 5 of your players sprinting down the court on a fast break. You look for opportunities to run and it's usually your guards and a F that are making things happen but you have to get the ball first. Cougs is not a F, he's a C. He is not going to be leading the way on fast breaks. He's going to be patrolling the paint and looking to get the ball down the floor in an outlet pass not dribbling.

I feel strongly that FM does NOT believe he has a starting five right now. I would think he would feel okay, but not ecstatic, about starting the following:

Cole
Payne
Gatens
May

I think he would like to have the three freshmen get a lot of work. Beyond Cole and May, I am sure he is not excited about any of the existing forwards.

He has said repeatedly that he would like to get another guard and a forward this season. We all know he needs another ball handler. However, the forward remark should be clear as well. He doesn't want some guy for depth on the bench, he needs someone who can contribute significantly this year. If he can't find that guy for this season, I expect he goes hard at a JUCO or transfer for next year.

Cougs played bad D last year....there's really no way around that, but he was a freshman so he may be able to improve. However, he was the last one up and down the floor last year and I can't believe he won't struggle in Fran's up tempo offense. I would love to be proved wrong, but as one poster said, you can't teach speed and coordination. He was a perfect fit in Licks system...this one...not so much.
Just because you run an "up-tempo" style of play does not mean your center has to fly up and down the court. "Up-tempo" doesn't mean you take the ball to the rack everytime on a fast break.
I think Cougs will do well in this system. How nice is it to have a trailing bigman that can stroke the three.

Just because you run an "up-tempo" style of play does not mean your center has to fly up and down the court. "Up-tempo" doesn't mean you take the ball to the rack everytime on a fast break.
I think Cougs will do well in this system. How nice is it to have a trailing bigman that can stroke the three.

Exactly. In the secondary break, cougs comes in and gets the trailer-three point look that he can knock down.
On defense in a press, he can protect the rim at the back,hopefully. That does not require a super speedy runner,just a guy who can move his feet and block shots at the rim with decent timing.

Would Fran had recruited Cougs if he was here two years ago? Maybe not,but we have him,so he must find a way to use him. As everyone says,big men take more time. Jury is out on cougs. If he wants to play, he needs to do the work,get leaner,and work on moving his feet. Harangody was a different player in year two after dropping 25 lbs.

Exactly. In the secondary break, cougs comes in and gets the trailer-three point look that he can knock down.
On defense in a press, he can protect the rim at the back,hopefully. That does not require a super speedy runner,just a guy who can move his feet and block shots at the rim with decent timing.

Would Fran had recruited Cougs if he was here two years ago? Maybe not,but we have him,so he must find a way to use him. As everyone says,big men take more time. Jury is out on cougs. If he wants to play, he needs to do the work,get leaner,and work on moving his feet. Harangody was a different player in year two after dropping 25 lbs. That's exactly what Lick didn't do!! use what he had. Instead if he he didn't like a players style he'd throw him to the end of the bench and LOSE hoping the kid would get mad and quit(did pretty good at that) I have confidence that Fran will make the best with what he has.

Last edited:

Would Fran had recruited Cougs if he was here two years ago? Maybe not,but we have him,so he must find a way to use him. As everyone says,big men take more time. Jury is out on cougs. If he wants to play, he needs to do the work,get leaner,and work on moving his feet. Harangody was a different player in year two after dropping 25 lbs. That's exactly what Lick didn't do!! use what he had. Instead if he he didn't like a players style he'd throw him to the end of the bench and LOSE hoping the kid would get mad and quit(did pretty good at that) I have confidence that Fran will make the best with what he has.

I might throw up if I see one more person compare Cougs to Luke Harangody.

I also think Brommer is going to really surprise this year. I think Lick beat this kid like a puppy when he left him in his Freshman year (I think Purdue) when we needed two to win and after grabbing a loose ball rebound and being fouled he nearly air balled a FT. I don't think he ever recovered from that. He showed signs this year (when given minutes) that he could run the floor. It's IMPERATIVE that we get guards that are able to get the balls to our bigs at the right times and in the right ways. A bullet pass from 2' away isn't the right way. A baseline dribble jumping in to the air passing the ball through 3 defenders isn't the right way. Getting to a big that is standing at the 3 point line isn't the answer. Hopefully Fran can run an offense that most people have seen and can understand.

G - Payne
G - Gatens
G - May
F- Basabe
C- Cole

I think these may be our best 5. With Marble, McCabe & Brommer the next 3 in.

I know Cougill can only be seen through the Lick system, and sure he may perform much better in Fran's system, but making an argument to say he looks lost or slow or uncoordinated based on the system is all we have to go by so far right?

In B10 play last year (18 games) he broke 10 pts once (@Indiana). Only had 10 rebounds all season (@ISU). He made 18 3's all season, about .58 a game. Season high 2 assists twice. Played 15+ min 15 times. 6 blocks all season.

Now all those before me that have been down on Cougs probably saw the same thing I did. A big man, possibly used incorrectly, that did not perform all that well when given the opportunity.

With that said, can he improve, yes. Will a new system foster a more productive season, hopefully. But given what we've seen, I think our arguments are valid.

Brennan Cougill Stats, News, Photos - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

Latest posts