Who’s the odd man out in the backcourt if Jbo plays?

NikeHawk21

Question of the day. If JBo is ready to go which backcourt player is going to lose out on minutes?

So it appears Pat is going to play and it sounds like he’s a 3. So assume he and Wieskamp take all the minutes there...

That leaves 80 minutes for two guard spots and 5 players. Bohannon, C McCaffery, Frederick, Evelyn, and Toussaint.

Bohannon typically has been about a 30 minute per game guy so that leaves about 50 minutes for 4 players (12.5 minutes per guy). I assume the starting 2 guard will get close to or at least 20 minutes. It’s going to be tough to find minutes for all these guys.

Are all four guys going to play? Is playing 3 PGs really a realistic strategy?

How do you see it playing out in the backcourt if Bohannon is healthy?

Question of the day. If JBo is ready to go which backcourt player is going to lose out on minutes?

So it appears Pat is going to play and it sounds like he’s a 3. So assume he and Wieskamp take all the minutes there...

That leaves 80 minutes for two guard spots and 5 players. Bohannon, C McCaffery, Frederick, Evelyn, and Toussaint.

Bohannon typically has been about a 30 minute per game guy so that leaves about 50 minutes for 4 players (12.5 minutes per guy). I assume the starting 2 guard will get close to or at least 20 minutes. It’s going to be tough to find minutes for all these guys.

Are all four guys going to play? Is playing 3 PGs really a realistic strategy?

How do you see it playing out in the backcourt if Bohannon is healthy?

I would guess that either Bohannon drops to 25 minutes per game or someone in that group just isn't very good. I don't have a guess on which one that would be because I have different reasons to feel optimistic about all of them.I have high hopes that CJ, Joe T, and Evelyn are all too good to justify Bohannon getting more than 25 per game.

I would guess that either Bohannon drops to 25 minutes per game or someone in that group just isn't very good. I don't have a guess on which one that would be because I have different reasons to feel optimistic about all of them.I have high hopes that CJ, Joe T, and Evelyn are all too good to justify Bohannon getting more than 25 per game.
Good points. I’m spitballing here but let’s say JBo and CJF are the starters and both are going to be about 25 minutes or so. That leaves 30 minutes left for Joe T, Cmac, and Evelyn.

Does Fran play all 3 limited minutes?

-I don’t see Cmac not getting at least the minutes he got last year.

-Evelyn is a grad transfer and he definitely didn’t come here to ride the bench.

-If you listen to Joe T’s interviews he is not a kid who plans on redshirting.

Will be interesting to see what gives there.

Its possible Bohannon could be the odd man out.
If hes healthy, he's playing, especially at the end of games. He's a proven clutch shooter and free throw shooter.

But you gotta get him outta there on defense. Anthony Cowan abused him on Maryland's fateful final offensive possession. Many of Glynn Watson's baskets in Nebraska's miracle three point barrage were right in his grill.

That's what I'm thinking also. He had major surgery and I think they will be careful with him early in the season anyway. It may also depend on the game by game situations and the quickness of the opposing guards.

That's what I'm thinking also. He had major surgery and I think they will be careful with him early in the season anyway. It may also depend on the game by game situations and the quickness of the opposing guards.
I can’t see that. If he plays they said he wants to be fully healthy and given what he’s given the program over the years I doubt he gets cut out of any rotation as a senior. I think it’s pretty clear he’s way ahead of Connor McCaffery. I have a tough time seeing him being behind a kid who’s put up mediocre numbers at Valpo last year.

I know we really want to get excited about some of these newcomers but in the world of reality it’s probably most likely that JBo is the best guard on our team, despite his defensive shortcomings.

A couple of other things to think about. What if Till earns a few minutes a game at the 3 and/or Pat earns more minutes than originally thought. That could push Joe W to the 2 to make sure he gets his and take even more minutes away from the other guards.

I honestly don't know what to think at this point. There are so many combinations that could be used and we have such little knowledge on how good the new guys actually are until we see them play. Has me cautious, optimistic, and excited to see how the season plays out.

A couple of other things to think about. What if Till earns a few minutes a game at the 3 and/or Pat earns more minutes than originally thought. That could push Joe W to the 2 to make sure he gets his and take even more minutes away from the other guards.

I honestly don't know what to think at this point. There are so many combinations that could be used and we have such little knowledge on how good the new guys actually are until we see them play. Has me cautious, optimistic, and excited to see how the season plays out.
This! Even if there are those who say we are not talented enough, they would have to admit there is a lot of depth on this team! I believe there will be minimum drop off with the subs. Go like hell till you can't then next group in.

Great point. Before when we thought JBo was likely out it made sense that Wieskamp would slide up to the 2 at times and create a bigger lineup. That probably won’t happen much now. JBo being back (while great for Iowa if it happens) is going to cost someone minutes it’s just that simple. Fran has always seemed fairly hellbent on playing all of his guys so it will be interesting to see how it gets managed.

This! Even if there are those who say we are not talented enough, they would have to admit there is a lot of depth on this team! I believe there will be minimum drop off with the subs. Go like hell till you can't then next group in.
While I don’t totally disagree, two years ago when we were atrocious we said the same thing before the season. We went like 11-12 deep that year. Having a bunch of players of similar talent level doesn’t always translate to success. I think if there is one thing the Fran era has taught us it’s that “depth” can be very overrated when i comes to producing a quality basketball team.

Personally I don’t see it. Connor can’t shoot number one. Wieskamp is going to play probably more than 30 minutes a game. A lot of the players have been speaking highly of Patrick as well.

I think Connor can shoot a lot better than he showed the first 2/3 of his first season. He can easily play 10 minutes at the 3. I hope there are better options, and I agree with you that there probably will be. But if those options don't pan out, that is one more possibility.

One thing I will say is there are a ton of different options for ways to be pretty good. Nunge being really good. Patrick being as good as his ranking. Joe T being good. Wieskamp being 1st team material. CJ being as good as everyone says. They can't all not work out can they?

Great question. The first 5-7 games will be very interesting to see who's playing well and emerging. I think Joe T will be tough to keep off the floor. He brings on the ball defense to the table that none of the others do.

Evelyn is a wild card. I just don't know enough or seen much of him.

My guess is CMac plays less. If he isn't able to hit open shots or dribble drive what's he bring to the table? Sure he's a good and willing passer but for comparisons sake to the others it is what it is.

C Fredrick I'm excited to see. He's put on significant weight since redshirting and seems like a bucket getter/shooter. Hell of a scorer in HS. I don't think he's Brady Ellingson 2.0 at all. But we'll see.

I think Connor can shoot a lot better than he showed the first 2/3 of his first season. He can easily play 10 minutes at the 3. I hope there are better options, and I agree with you that there probably will be. But if those options don't pan out, that is one more possibility.

One thing I will say is there are a ton of different options for ways to be pretty good. Nunge being really good. Patrick being as good as his ranking. Joe T being good. Wieskamp being 1st team material. CJ being as good as everyone says. They can't all not work out can they?
I’m with you that there are some reasons for optimism. But there are also areas for some pause. I’m excited for Nunge but probably more importantly we need someone to emerge in that backcourt.

I think the other wild card is Fran’s rotation management. I’m not a big Fran basher but I think it’s fair to say he’s fails with his rotations from time to time. The second part of that is he’s now coaching two of his sons. If Connor’s shot doesn’t come around does he really deserve minutes? Maybe I don’t know I’m just asking the question. Team morale could go in a hurry if his sons are playing more than they deserve.

I’m with you that there are some reasons for optimism. But there are also areas for some pause. I’m excited for Nunge but probably more importantly we need someone to emerge in that backcourt.

I think the other wild card is Fran’s rotation management. I’m not a big Fran basher but I think it’s fair to say he’s fails with his rotations from time to time. The second part of that is he’s now coaching two of his sons. If Connor’s shot doesn’t come around does he really deserve minutes? Maybe I don’t know I’m just asking the question. Team morale could go in a hurry if his sons are playing more than they deserve.

If the 3 new guards are all worse players than Moss last year, he will deserve minutes even with no shot. That's not a bash at Moss. Just using him as a bench mark to compare to last years team.

If the 3 new guards are all worse players than Moss last year, he will deserve minutes even with no shot. That's not a bash at Moss. Just using him as a bench mark to compare to last years team.
I get your “argument” but to me it’s not totally accurate. Moss is a shooting guard who literally would have been a terrible point guard. Connor is a point guard, who in my opinion is fairly worthless as a shooting guard without a shot (maybe that will come).

With the make up of this year’s roster, it appears we have a few more options at PG than we did last year, assuming a healthy JBo. That’s the difference. Connor played last year but wasn’t a better player than Moss. Say for argument sake he’s behind JBo, Joe T and Evelyn at PG. For the sake of argument maybe he’s a better basketball player than CJF (that’s very unlikely IMO), but he wouldn’t deserve minutes because he’s not a better 2 guard and the other guys are ahead of him at the 1 spot.

This argument doesn’t need to be about Connor either. It could really be about any guard. Someone, perhaps multiple in that group are going to lose out on minutes if JBo is healthy and plays.

Latest posts