Who's the next coach at Iowa?

I don't care who the Hawks get as long as he can recruit the instate studs like Marcus Paige and Peter Jok.

Top to bottom (I know these are not very realistic)

Jay Wright-Villanova (Smokin Hot Wife, Catholic at a Catholic Univ, Program on the Rise) Ain't Happenin'

Bruce Pearl-Tenn (Iowa Connection, Strong Builder of Programs, SEC Sucks) Maybe

Keno Davis-Prov (Iowa Connection, Limitted Success, Great Offense, SHI**Y D) Would you rather lose a bunch of games scoring 50 or scoring 80?

Kevin Stallings-Vandy (Ill State for a bit, 27-6 at Vandy this year, SEC still Sucks, good ties in the Midwest) I don't know.

Steve Lavin-ESPN (High Profile, Firey?, Out of the Game a Long Time, Understands Iowa BB History as Shown by Comments During the Iowa v. Mich Game) Could do worse.

Personally I want Steve Lavin, just listening to him when Iowa was on ESPN he gets it. One thing that really stuck out to me was he talked about how you build a team from the inside out and as we have seen Lick is building one from the outside in and it ain't working.

I completely agree. I think he's a smart guy. He has great name recognition. He could also be an effective recruiter. I think he could go into recruit's living rooms and convince them to come to Iowa.

The Give a Call – Worst they can do is say No
Bruce Pearl (Tennessee)
Lon Kruger (UNLV)
Josh Pastner (Memphis)
Kevin Stallings (Vandy)

The Next Best Things, Realistic Chances
Scott Drew (Baylor)
Billy Gillespie (ex-Kentucky, A&M)

Possibilities
Brian Gregory (Dayton)
Randy Bennett (St Marys)
Paul Lusk (Purdue Asst)
Reggie Theus (NBA asst and ex -NM St head, Louisville asst)
Russell Springmann (Asst – Texas)
Danny Manning (Asst KS)
Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M)
Greg Marshall (Wichita St)

Names that have come up that I don’t understand
Keno Davis (Drake) – one good year, really struggled at Providence, no history of recruiting success
Steve Lavin (ex UCLA) – couldn’t win consistently with outstanding talent, question his success at a school without recruiting advantages
Dana Altman (Creighton) – program on a major downswing
Ben Jacobson - just seems like a stretch to me to give him the keys
BJ Armstrong – No coaching experience
Bobby Hansen – No coaching experience

Last edited:
Names that may or may not have been mentioned:

1. Ernie Kent. Soon to be unemployed, but a pretty impressive record at a tough to recruit to school. Two Elite 8's. The guy can coach, and recruit.
2. Keno Davis. I have heard that things have been smoothed over between Davis and UI over the years. I am willing to give him a bit of a pass on his performance in a tough tough conference. Providence isn't a power and hasn't been for a long long time. I think he could rebound at Iowa, and certainly bring a more exciting style of play.
3. Mike Brey, Notre Dame. Very successful at another football school. Great X and O coach.
4. Pearl. Of course I would love this. But not sure it's realistic. Tenn. is a better job than Iowa right now.
5. Some have mentioned Pastnor (sp) from Memphis. Why would he come here. Memphis is a better basketball job right now. I get the Lute tie, but lets remember why Lute left. Would be encourage Pastnor to come here?
6. Kevin Stallings. Always been a fan since his days at Ill. State. Guy can coach, and brings some fire and attitude. Has won at a very tough place to win.
Bottom line, I don't want another "up and comer." I think we are going to have to look at someone who has had success in big time college bkb but who might have stumbled. That is why I say Kent. I like his pedigree and even though his programs have stumbled the past two years, a change of scenery could be just what the dr. ordered. We are NOT going to get another big name coach to come to Iowa, and I don't like the risk of another "hot young coach." Lets bring in a proven winner. If you think I am crazy, look at Tom Davis' record at Stanford. At the time, many said, who is this f-ing guy. His Stanford record was lousy, but he had a proven record before that. This is the kind of guy we should be looking at.

Take a look at Steve Lavin's resume. It's strong. You can make the argument that it's negated because it was at UCLA, but that program has ridiculously high standards and pressure. Name me one coach who had a better resume than Lavin @ UCLA since Wooden left. Harrick won a natl championship but was run out because he was a complete low life, and Howland went to 2 final fours, but he even he has struggled by UCLA standards the last two years. My point is it is a tough job. I think he understands the Big Ten. He spent some time @ Purdue, and covers the Big Ten a lot with ESPN. I think he would relish the opportunity to coach at Iowa, and look at it as a chance to redeem himself. I don't believe he would look at Iowa as a 'stepping stone' job either. He has seen the greener grass already, and found out it isn't always greener. I also think he is a natural recruiter, and has the charisma and ease about him that could bring the kind of players we need to win again.

If rumurs are true that someone has already been tapped it must be someone who is out of coaching all together or someone whos season is done.

Latest posts