Who's ready for some Hawk football

Hawkeyes5

I woke up this morning, had a cup of coffee and put on ACDC "Back in Black" on my earbuds, and getting ribs to smoke for Saturday, getting beer tomorrow, and getting ready for tailgate on Saturday!
Am I alone? Whats your game week look like?
GO HAWKS!

I woke up this morning, had a cup of coffee and put on ACDC "Back in Black" on my earbuds, and getting ribs to smoke for Saturday, getting beer tomorrow, and getting ready for tailgate on Saturday!
Am I alone? Whats your game week look like?
GO HAWKS!
Talk to me about these ribs. What smoker you got? I presume baby back? How long do you smoke?

About my setup - I just got a house in April so this year I have been using a Masterbuilt propane smoker I bought at Home Depot for $120 on sale. I get the loinback ribs from Costco (3 racks for about $25-28) and rub them in smoked paprika, ground mustard, garlic, cumin, cayenne, pepper, and salt (no sugar/brown sugar bince I'm trying to not eat sugar anymore). I smoke them for 2.5 hours on applewood or hickory at 225-ish and then finish them for the last hour or so in the oven at 225 wrapped in foil to keep them moist. If I decide to sauce them before serving (I generally prefer not to bince I feel like the meat should stand on its own and because I don't want to add too much sugar) I will hit them with Sticky Fingers bbq sauce and give them a few minutes on the grill to get the sauce carmelized.

What kind of beer you taking?

I have a fucking wedding at 3 on sat
I can't stand that. Look, if you're doing a mountain wedding and you want to do it in the fall when the leaves are turning like my cousin did last year, I get having a wedding that conflicts with a game day (although my cousin scheduled hers on a week when Clemson played on a Friday so as not to conflict with her Saturday wedding). But to do it over Labor Day weekend just totally sucks.

Why would someone willing ruin a football weekend by getting married that day. 52 Saturdays in a year people. Pick one that doesn't interfere with a game.

Why would someone willing ruin a football weekend by getting married that day. 52 Saturdays in a year people. Pick one that doesn't interfere with a game.
To be fair they aren't really football fans and this is a big day for them, they are really nice people and deserve all the happiness they get, but I'll be cranky as fk all day Sat and my poor wife will know it

I have a wedding on Saturday as well, but I'm skipping it to watch the Hawkeyes. I'll show up at the reception and if anyone asks I was at the wedding they just didnt see me
Yeah I don't really have a choice, guess I could get some ipecac for my youngest - but he's never thrown up in his life, even after he ate a mystery mushroom at daycare had to eat/drink like 1 liter of activated charcoal he bounced around like a champ.

Is there any chance they'd compromise and allow the game to be shown on a projector behind the alter. Nothing says wedding like people cheer during the vows.

Well he's a Gopher fan and she's a Purdue fan and the wedding is in Wisconsin. Neither of their teams play on Saturday so they don't care.

People who insist on getting married Labor Day weekend or Memorial weekend are just plain selfish.

There should be a law against this type of stuff.
There is a scenario in which either of those weekends are acceptable and that is if you are doing a relatively small destination wedding somewhere like Mexico or the Caribbean. Most college football fans aren't going to be too put off by missing Labor Day weekend games because 80% of the games are trash anyway. But yeah, if you live in the South or Midwest or Texas and you plan a football weekend wedding when the team of a majority of the guests is playing, that's a shit move.

As I mentioned above, my cousin got married on a football weekend but she made it on a weekend Clemson was away and not playing on Saturday so none of her local friends would be pissed and motels would be available. Furthermore, the family set up a hospitality suite full of beer, snacks and pizza with two TVs with the full digital cable package so that family and friends visiting from Iowa and Nebraska could watch their teams and then there was a bus to take everyone to the wedding. If you have a night wedding and you set it up right, it ain't that big of a deal to have a wedding on a game day, but if you have a 6 PM Saturday wedding in Des Moines or Cedar Rapids on the day of the Iowa-ISU game and then get pissed off because people are streaming the 4th quarter of the game and talking about, you have the social IQ of a chimpanzee. Maybe lower.

Latest posts