Who's on the ledge after losses? Football vs. Basketball

I'm on the proverbial 'ledge' after . . .

• Football and basketball games: Whenever the Hawks lose anything they shouldn't, it ruins my day.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Neither: I want the Hawks to win, but they're trying and it's only sports.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Football games only: be it Kirk's style, the emotional flatness, or me caring more, football losses

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Basketball games only: the program has struggled for too long, and the embarrassment of not being ba

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Cover3

Just curious. We have these 'factions' on HN, just trying to take a benign, objective inventory.

I find that I am on the proverbial 'ledge' after football losses but not after basketball losses. I can think of a couple reasons for this seemingly involuntary/subconscious alignment. First, our BB program is trying to re-establish itself, while I feel like the FB program should be past (regularly) losing to lower-tier teams (a la Minnesota). Also, basketball is more subject to chance anyways (a hot shooter, bad bounces); you're limited in how you can physically bully a lesser BB opponent.

Anyways, I found my own inconsistency interesting, and was wondering about others.

Getting over reactionary to individual basketball losses makes no sense. I've flipped out after football games but I'm usually wasted.

I wouldn't call it a ledge, but I don't like watching Iowa lose.

True. One big exception to my usual MO stated in my OP: dare I say . . . Northwestern State. That's one basketball loss that still can get me fuming if I talk about it too much.

Last edited:
Football losses are a billion times more severe. I am usually borderline suicidal following at least one football game a year.

I barely even watch basketball anymore.

NW State game I jumped off the cliff...I don't think I have fully quite climbed back up yet either. And that was 6 years ago.

That was the worst day in my life as a Hawkeye fan.

One of my worst sports moments ever. It's probably second only to game 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

Actually, the Northwestern State game may be worst.

What pisses me off the most about it was Haluska missing an open shot while they were celebrating. That would have been epic had it gone.

And now I'm reliving that game, that actually is more upsetting then tonight's loss.

Thanks for bringing up the NW State game, I was just about to put tonight's loss to rest and go to bed, guess I better pour out a few drinks and relive that all over again now.

One of my worst sports moments ever. It's probably second only to game 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

YOU JUST HAD TO GO THERE! YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT HAS TAKEN ME TO GET OVER THAT?!

Gonzo HAS GOT TO TURN TWO!!! ARGH We were soooo close....:(

Who cares, it is Iowa basketball! Iowa has not won a Big Ten title in basketball since before Hayden coached his first game. The Hawks have seriously challenged for the Big Ten title only twice since Lute left. It is pathetic!

The anti-Ferentz crowd is yelling & screaming about the football program. Then again, there are other posters who think Tom Davis was the greatist thing since sliced bread. The anti-Ferentz crowd is yelling & screaming because he had back-to-back typical Davis seasons. Middle of the pack in the Big Ten. Go to a bowl game & be one & done in the NCAA basketball tournament.

I will never understand the infatuation with Davis & the anti-Ferentz crowd. In his worst years the football team has about a typical Davis season. But, yet, Iowa should fire Ferentz & have kept Davis.

Tom Davis is the essence of mediocrity. However, Ferentz gets payed to much money & mediocre Tom Davis is the greatist thing in Iowa basketball history. If fans held Davis to the scrutiny people are holding Ferentz to, Davis should have been fired after his third or fourth season. Definitely, after his fourth season.

Tonights loss stinks, but does not compare to losing to one of the worst D-1 football teams in the country two years in a row. (Minnesota)

With the way the post seasons are set up in each sport, a loss in football means a whole lot more than does a loss in basketball. Plus, there's a lot more parity in basketball, as usually seen in the tourney, losses happen. As we all know a loss in football is a virtual death sentence for a championship aspiring football team, unless you're Alabama that is.

I get really upset after bb games, but then I'm ready to move on soon after.
Last night (neb game) I was ******. But now I'm over it and ready for Indiana.

Also, I expect this kind of thing this season. We're gonna win some games we shouldn't, and lose some games we shouldn't. Hopefully as the program improves, we'll lose fewer and win more.

I used to get really pissy after football games when the Hawks lost and would let it ruin my day, but then I realized they are college kids playing a sport and I have no impact on the outcome of the game. Life's too short to let college athletics ruin my day/weekend. Don't get me wrong it's still tough to watch your favorite team lose, but I'm usually over it 5-10 mins after the game.

Latest posts