Who’s Going To Wrigley?

The Arlington Park horse track would hold several Soldier Fields. They seem to be counting on a multi-use development to make this work.

My point against playing at Wrigley Field is that you have Soldier Field available which is a real football field. I would guess the problem NW has is that Soldier Field would look pretty empty.

This may not be a popular opinion, but playing at Soldier Field would be much better to watch a football game.

I agree. Once you get to Soldier Field and are inside it, it's a great experience watching a football game. I just wish it was easier to get to. Of course, Wrigley is not easy to get to either, and is not built for football.

I agree. Once you get to Soldier Field and are inside it, it's a great experience watching a football game. I just wish it was easier to get to. Of course, Wrigley is not easy to get to either, and is not built for football.
If it was full, maybe...and that's a huge maybe. 35,000 fans inside a 61,000 seat stadium would be dumb. Again, it'd look and sound like one of those bowl games only parents and geriatrics go to.

I would guess that Wrigley is just cheaper for NW than Soldier Field. NW has had to tarp over seats in their existing stadium. I still hate football in a baseball stadium. By the way, I am going to the game.

If it was full, maybe...and that's a huge maybe. 35,000 fans inside a 61,000 seat stadium would be dumb. Again, it'd look and sound like one of those bowl games only parents and geriatrics go to.
The attendence for the Iowa vs NIU games at Soldier Field were

Sep 1, 2007 - 61k
Sep 1, 2012 - 51k

So I would guess if Iowa were to play NW at Soldier Field in Sep, they would get at least 50k, probably 60k.

Change the date to Nov, it might drop but I would guess you could still get at least 40k in November.

The attendence for the Iowa vs NIU games at Soldier Field were

Sep 1, 2007 - 61k
Sep 1, 2012 - 51k

So I would guess if Iowa were to play NW at Soldier Field in Sep, they would get at least 50k, probably 60k.

Change the date to Nov, it might drop but I would guess you could still get at least 40k in November.
I went to one of those NIU games when I lived in Chicago and got seats right by the field. It was like watching it on a big screen tv sans replays :)

200 is still 33-ish years of never missing a game. Still gotta call BS.
I love how you think you know everything. Here you go, admin:

My dad had season tickets since I was born. He passed away when I was 21. He started taking me to games when I was a tiny kid, as a 5-6 year old. Every home game. Nature and the hawkeyes were my dad's true loves.

So, every home game and some road games every year throughout my childhood and college years (lived closed to Kinnick in apt when in undergrad there). Then, after he passed away and have had season tickets there since age 21 to now. I'm 54. Last year and this year I only went to a few games. In the last few years I've only been able to go to a few home games a year, so it is dropping off. I've been to multiple road big ten venues as well, several times. Never been to nebby though!

But, since you needed to call BS... I've been going to home games for about 48 years, dude. I shit you not. If you need photographic evidence, I can send you pictures from when I was a tiny kid, or you can just believe me. Why do you have such a huge boner for always calling me out? I don't need to explain shit to you, but here you go.

I remember Bob Commings games. Really. Dennis Mosley was my hero :).

If you would like to hear stories about stopping for Broasted Chicken every Sat am with my dad in Belle Plaine on the way to the games every weekend on Hwy 6, let me know!

Staying downtown is quadruple the price for everything. The whole reason you get a hotel in the “burbs” is because it’s cheaper. You can get a room at a chain motel for like $90-100 and downtown you’re going to pay $400 minimum after you pay the 30% taxes and mayor's extortion fees. I'll give you a pass since you live in California, you guys probably have a 115% overall tax rate there.

You can pay for a whole lot of parking for that difference.
There is "cheaper" and then there is "enjoyable."

I'll give you a pass since you live in the sticks, and don't know how to party in a city.

I saw my first Hawk game at age 7 (1952) with mom and dad, now 70 years ago. Went to the Amana’s for dinner post game. All I remember.
Lived in the
Iowa City area from 1967-1981. Watched Eddie P. Wilburn Hollis. Many others you would recognize by name. Snook to ? Incomplete! 0-11 Frank Lauterburr and Ducky Lewis. Bob Commings. I was coaching at Kennedy CR with Jerry Mauren and got tickets through Iowa Coaches Assoc. for $2 a game, end zone. I had season ticks during much of that time. ((Also had season ticks for Millers 6 pack and watched Lute‘s teams a lot.
In 1995, started back up with season football tickets. Very rarely missed a game.
Retired in 2006. Continued football and added season basket ball under Alfraud, Lackluster, and signed on with Fran when he arrived. Will continue as long as I am around. Due to the exceptionally clean living, I am still in good health. So there.

I saw my first Hawk game at age 7 (1952) with mom and dad, now 70 years ago. Went to the Amana’s for dinner post game. All I remember.
Lived in the
Iowa City area from 1967-1981. Watched Eddie P. Wilburn Hollis. Many others you would recognize by name. Snook to ? Incomplete! 0-11 Frank Lauterburr and Ducky Lewis. Bob Commings. I was coaching at Kennedy CR with Jerry Mauren and got tickets through Iowa Coaches Assoc. for $2 a game, end zone. I had season ticks during much of that time. ((Also had season ticks for Millers 6 pack and watched Lute‘s teams a lot.
In 1995, started back up with season football tickets. Very rarely missed a game.
Retired in 2006. Continued football and added season basket ball under Alfraud, Lackluster, and signed on with Fran when he arrived. Will continue as long as I am around. Due to the exceptionally clean living, I am still in good health. So there.
Awesome!!! If you lived through Frank Lauterbur, you can handle anything.

I also have fond memories of my dad taking me to the Fieldhouse to watch Lute's teams.

I love how you think you know everything. Here you go, admin:

My dad had season tickets since I was born. He passed away when I was 21. He started taking me to games when I was a tiny kid, as a 5-6 year old. Every home game. Nature and the hawkeyes were my dad's true loves.

So, every home game and some road games every year throughout my childhood and college years (lived closed to Kinnick in apt when in undergrad there). Then, after he passed away and have had season tickets there since age 21 to now. I'm 54. Last year and this year I only went to a few games. In the last few years I've only been able to go to a few home games a year, so it is dropping off. I've been to multiple road big ten venues as well, several times. Never been to nebby though!

But, since you needed to call BS... I've been going to home games for about 48 years, dude. I shit you not. If you need photographic evidence, I can send you pictures from when I was a tiny kid, or you can just believe me. Why do you have such a huge boner for always calling me out? I don't need to explain shit to you, but here you go.

I remember Bob Commings games. Really. Dennis Mosley was my hero :).

If you would like to hear stories about stopping for Broasted Chicken every Sat am with my dad in Belle Plaine on the way to the games every weekend on Hwy 6, let me know!
I've had the pleasure/opportunity to watch Iowa play at every away B1G venue other than Nebby as well.
(Some like Illinois and NU several times (probably 6x each), Purdue 3x, Wisky 3x, Minney 3x, Indy 3x, OSU 2x, Soldier Field 1x, etc.)
Plus, toss in Tampa 3x (FL, FL, Gamecocks), Tempe 1x (Sooners), Orlando 1x (LSU), and Lucas Oil 1x (MSU).

My first Kinnick game was 9/28/74....a 27-0 defeat to PSU.
I had season tix for four years as a student, then season tix for five years as an "adult." Never missed a game. I cherry-picked dozens of home games over the decades when I didn't have season tix.

I'd have to guess I've been to 100+ Hawk games over the years. Quite the ride!

Last edited:
Mississippi Valley State is going to play Central State in Soldier Field this season. Iowa gets Wrigley. The league should horse whip NW for doing this.

Latest posts