Whom Will McCaffery Hire?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Fran McCaffery was hired as Iowa’s 22nd head coach more than a week ago, and the attention is now focused on whom he will hire to fill his assistant coaching positions.

Here is the latest we are hearing here at Hawkeyenation.com

Mitch Buonaguro, Assistant Coach at Siena: Mitch is definitly someone that McCaffery wants to bring with him to Iowa, but all signs are pointing to him taking over the Sienna job. He’s had a second interview with the university, the players have really gone to bat for him and there have even been a few student movements to retain the longtime basketball man. There is good reason for that; he served as an assistant to Rollie Massimino at Villanova and again at Cleveland State and he certainly knows his way around the eastern seaboard as it relates to recruiting. If he doesn’t get the job at Siena, I think he’ll come to Iowa City…but I think he’ll become Siena’s next head coach.

Andrew Francis, Assistant Coach Siena: It sounds as though Francis is going to occupy one of the assistant positions at Iowa, and he’ll join McCaffery again as he did in Siena. He served as a administrative assistant at Villanova under Jay Wright. He is a native of Brooklyn and played collegiality in New York as well. Here is an article related to a Siena commit, forward Melsahn Basabe, who may have interest in joining McCaffery, and likely Francis, at Iowa. This snippet from the article:

Asked if the staff wants him to follow them to Iowa and if he is considering that possibility, Basabe replied, “Yes, I have the option to go to Iowa and that is something I am seriously considering.â€

Rodell Davis, Assistant Coach Providence: Davis has been an assistant to Keno Davis for three years; one at Drake and two at Providence. He played for Iowa in the late 80’s and early 90’s; he suffered an injury early in his career. He went to high school in Chicago (Thornton) and also was a head coach at Proviso East and Thornwood, both schools in the Chicago area. He has solid recruiting ties to that city and it sounds like he would love to return to his alma mater and get back to the Midwest.

Kirk Speraw: Speraw was recently fired at the University of Central Florida where he had severed as their head coach since 1993. His teams qualified for four NCAA tournaments, all as a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference; UCF made the move to Conference USA in 2005. He is a native of Sioux City and he played for Lute Olson at Iowa and was a member of the last Iowa team to win a regular season conference title in 1979.

Chad Walthall: Walthall served as an assistant coach to Todd Lickliter at Iowa the past three seasons. Walthall was the primary recruiter for six of Iowa’s last seven signed recruits. McCaffery said in this article that Walthall is under consideration, along with others.

Coach McCaffery has also said that he hopes to add a former Iowa player to his staff. I am not sure if that will be as a full time assistant or as a graduate assistant. There are number of former players interested in the job, or at least interested in learning more. Jeff Horner might make a lot of sense as he is a coach right now and coaching is what he wants to do for the rest of his life.

I know some may dismiss Horner because of his age and lack of experience, but he is the consummate gym rat, the son of an Iowa high school basketball hall of fame coach and one of the best Iowa high school basketball players of all time in his own right. Horner is also one of the best Iowa basketball players of the last two decades, and to be frank, kids that are 16, 17 and 18 years old today in the state of Iowa and in the Big Ten footprint would recognize Horner’s name more than any of the other former Iowa players whose names are being bandied about for a position. Perhaps Horner could come on as a graduate assistant or a similar role.

McCaffery has been in Indianapolis this past weekend and he reportedly met with former Iowa coaches Lute Olson and George Raveling to pick their brains on how to best succeed at Iowa. McCaffery intends to meet with former Hawkeye head coach Tom Davis as well.

If he hires Rodell, is it necessary to hire another guy with "Iowa ties"?

As for Horner, I would like to see him come in as a GA. Then he can get some more coaching experience and then step up when an assistant leaves later down the road.

I thought I read somewhere that Rodell was not interested. I'm very glad to hear that apparently he is interested after all. I think he'd be easily the best choice for a fulltime assistant in the former player category.

I would love to see a staff of Walthall, Francis, Davis, and Horner as a GA. That would be a solid recruiting staff, folks.

I thought I read somewhere that Rodell was not interested. I'm very glad to hear that apparently he is interested after all. I think he'd be easily the best choice for a fulltime assistant in the former player category.

I read some article stating that Rodell is not interested. It was in a newspaper article just a few days after McCaffery's hiring, may have been the Gazette.

I would love to see a staff of Walthall, Francis, Davis, and Horner as a GA. That would be a solid recruiting staff, folks.
Would be nice, hopefully Fran makes it happen. I'm thinking if Mitch B stays at Siena, Walthall and Francis will pretty much be locks for assistants. Francis probably being the number 1 since he has been with Fran longer.

When you are replacing the subject of a sentence, you should use "Who" rather than "Whom". Whom is the for the object of a sentence, such as "McCaffery will hire whom?", although even in this case, it is still improper.

Teacher power!

When you are replacing the subject of a sentence, you should use "Who" rather than "Whom". Whom is the for the object of a sentence, such as "McCaffery will hire whom?", although even in this case, it is still improper.

Teacher power!

U R 2 Clever...

I think Fran wants Mitch B. for a reason. So my preference for a staff would be: Mitch,Francis,Davis,and Horner as a GA. Covers all the areas:

Mitch and Francis: East coast and southeast.
Davis: Chicago
Horner: Iowa.

I just have to think that Mitch working under Massomino all those years gave him a great set of contacts on all sides of the streets in NY,NJ,and Philly...as well as good insight into the game.

I've been on the Horner as a 3rd assistant/GA for Iowa for many, many years. His dad, Bob, was a terrific HS coach (masoncityhawkeye can attest to that) - and Jeff has a good head on his shoulders. He's also what I would classify as an "all-time great" at Iowa. I'd love to see Jeff given a shot at Iowa in some capacity.

If not Jeff, then I will offer my assistance.

I think Fran wants Mitch B. for a reason. So my preference for a staff would be: Mitch,Francis,Davis,and Horner as a GA. Covers all the areas:

Mitch and Francis: East coast and southeast.
Davis: Chicago
Horner: Iowa.

I just have to think that Mitch working under Massomino all those years gave him a great set of contacts on all sides of the streets in NY,NJ,and Philly...as well as good insight into the game.

Two things to add to what you've said.

First, it's pretty artificial for us to be talking about someone like Walthall as a #1 assistant. A head coach wants someone in that position who sees the game and how to play it the way he does, and is very comfortable with that relationship. Mitch B obviously fits that description, and there's no reason to think Cad would. The reasons to like Chad are continuity with current players/recruits, and the fadt that much of the modest success the previous staff had in recruiting was attributable to Chad.

Second, when Caff was hired Van Coleman came out and said he'd really like to see Mitch B come with him. I assume that means Van thinks Mitch is a heck of an asset in recruiting. That seems unlikely for a 56-year-old guy who probably isn't on the road that much (just guessing about that), but what Van said resonated with me.

I also think Fran will do just fine developing relationships with the current players and recruits. He's done it many times before. So, I'd be happy to have Mitch on the staff ( or not), or not to have Walthall. The primary thing I want is a staff that can really recruit, because I feel confident that our HC knows how to coach.

If Mitch B didnt come to Iowa i still think Francis would be number 1 and walthall number 2. It would take alot for walthall to be number 1 just because Fran probably wants someone he has worked with to be his right hand man.

I've been on the Horner as a 3rd assistant/GA for Iowa for many, many years. His dad, Bob, was a terrific HS coach (masoncityhawkeye can attest to that) - and Jeff has a good head on his shoulders. He's also what I would classify as an "all-time great" at Iowa. I'd love to see Jeff given a shot at Iowa in some capacity.

Many, many years? Didn't he just graduate in '06?
I agree with you though. As a player he was very intelligent and I think he would coach the same way.

Don't you need to have a college degree to be a GA?

Latest posts