Who will OSU new coach be in 2011?

Even if that's the case, there's nothing that'll stop OSU from doing the same thing. Whether USC found a way to get around/delay the scholarship penalties doesn't really matter. They've likely managed to minimize the impact. They signed an elite class, and are now eligible for postseason play again.

The only way that OSU doesn't do the same thing will be if their postseason ban is at least 3 years long.

Then what happens when they lose 20 scholarships per year a year from now? They have to tell a bunch of those highly rated kids that they dont have a scholarship for them but are more than welcome to stay on the team if they want to pay their own way.

Not gonna happen. Mass transfers.

Then what happens when they lose 20 scholarships per year a year from now? They have to tell a bunch of those highly rated kids that they dont have a scholarship for them but are more than welcome to stay on the team if they want to pay their own way.

Not gonna happen. Mass transfers.

That's the worst-case scenario, which I don't see happening. There's no LOIC as of yet, and unless something else comes out, I don't think there will be.

That's the worst-case scenario, which I don't see happening. There's no LOIC as of yet, and unless something else comes out, I don't think there will be.

Thats what I was using in my hypothetical, was the worst-case scenario. Which is sounding more and more likely with each week that passes.

And the comment you quoted i was more talking about USC. How do they handle that situation? Because they do lose a significant number of schollies once the ruling is upheld. Those 4 star kids are not going to stick around as walk ons.

Thats what I was using in my hypothetical, was the worst-case scenario. Which is sounding more and more likely with each week that passes.

And the comment you quoted i was more talking about USC. How do they handle that situation? Because they do lose a significant number of schollies once the ruling is upheld. Those 4 star kids are not going to stick around as walk ons.

The scholarship penalty was a loss of 30 over 3 years, so 10 per year (If I'm understanding that correctly. Maybe that actually means they can only have 55 ships for three seasons). I think they can pretty easily survive that (Again, assuming that I understood that penalty correctly.).

The scholarship penalty was a loss of 30 over 3 years, so 10 per year (If I'm understanding that correctly. Maybe that actually means they can only have 55 ships for three seasons). I think they can pretty easily survive that (Again, assuming that I understood that penalty correctly.).

I just looked it up and they lose 10 scholarships per year for 3 years. I guess it wasnt as big of a deal as I had first thought.

It will hamper their depth, but all that means for USC is they wont have a four-star backing up a five-star.

I hope OSU gets much worse.

Urban has turned down the ND job twice already, doubt he would take it if offered a third time.

You really think ND is done trying to get Urban Meyer?

Ummm, I dunno, Notre Dame hasn't won a NC since '88 haven't been close. I'm sure Urban Meyer has a ego and the thought of being the "savior" would appeal to him at some point. That and a whole lot of cash.

Last edited:
If tOSU fires Tressel, it will be someone squeaky clean.

There is a bigger issue here though, which is, has the culture in Columbus spun so out of control that any coach will be fighting a losing fight.

Because let's be honest. Most people LOVE having access. It makes a prole used car dealer feel like a big shot. Those people are not going to stop tempting athletes. And no coach can watch the program 24 hours a day.

Columbus is a big city now, with almost 2MM in the metro area. There's also a poop ton of money there.

There will be no shortage of people with plenty of money to throw around or plenty of products to throw around in order to be a VIP in the cities biggest prize. tOSU athletics.

Didn't realize Columbus was that big.....I had 600-700k in my head for some reason.

I just looked it up and they lose 10 scholarships per year for 3 years. I guess it wasnt as big of a deal as I had first thought.

It will hamper their depth, but all that means for USC is they wont have a four-star backing up a five-star.

I hope OSU gets much worse.

USC deserved worse, IMO. They got off pretty easy. I just have a hard time seeing the NCAA going after one of the big dogs with true zeal.

Even if that's the case, there's nothing that'll stop OSU from doing the same thing. Whether USC found a way to get around/delay the scholarship penalties doesn't really matter. They've likely managed to minimize the impact. They signed an elite class, and are now eligible for postseason play again.

The only way that OSU doesn't do the same thing will be if their postseason ban is at least 3 years long.

By dragging out their appeal of the NCAA penalty, USC is only going to make it worse on themselves. The postseason ban is not that big of a deal, fans care about winning BCS games a lot more than the players do. They still get to move on to the NFL, live in LA and enjoy the college life. The loss of scholarships is what is really going to hurt, and losing 10 scholarships for three years will have a major effect on the program. It's very premature to say they minimized the impact of the NCAA penalties.

Ummm, I dunno, Notre Dame hasn't won a NC since '88 haven't been close. I'm sure Urban Meyer has a ego and the thought of being the "savior" would appeal to him at some point. That and a whole lot of cash.

I think Brian Kelly is going to be at ND for a long time. Dude can flat out coach.

USC deserved worse, IMO. They got off pretty easy. I just have a hard time seeing the NCAA going after one of the big dogs with true zeal.

I agree that USC should have gotten worse. IF all this about OSU is true and there is still more to come, I think their issues are worse than what USC had against them.

He's been offered a ton of cash by ND already and has had the chance to be the ND "savior" the other 2 times he turned down the job. Urban doesn't want to have to deal with ND's admission standards and the fact that he doesn't have final say in discipline issues. Simple really....

He's been offered a ton of cash by ND already and has had the chance to be the ND "savior" the other 2 times he turned down the job. Urban doesn't want to have to deal with ND's admission standards and the fact that he doesn't have final say in discipline issues. Simple really....

Well it's not like Meyer had arguably the best job in the country last time the Irish came calling......oh wait, he did.

Also, just in case you find the story where Meyer said he wasn't going to Notre Dame, ever: In the very next sentence he said "I'm going to be the coach at Florida for a long time, as long as they want me." His word isn't very iron-clad.

A huge majority of OSU's fanbase would do nothing but rip on Meyer and the program he ran and the discipline he did or did not hand out to his players while acting like OSU is morally superior to Florida and the SEC.

Now it seems that OSU is right in line with other SEC programs when it comes to compliance and control of the program. And most of those same fans would gladly take Urban Meyer if Tressel were to be let go or resign. Pathetic.

Urban caught grief for the amount of players he had arrested (Iowa-like numbers), and for questonable recruiting tactics. For all that was said about him he never had a major violation.

What is the point of letting him coach 2011 for 7 games then fire him. OSU will let him go before the 4th of July and have a new coach in place for 2011. OSU will also be put on 3-4 years of probation as well.

Saw this coming who will be the next coach? I said July 4th orginally came earlier than expected.

Luke Fickell.

I think that it depends on who the new AD will be. Will the AD have tOSU connections and keep the job somewhat in the family? Will more current assistant coaches be tainted by stories that are coming? They don't have to make a splash hire they just have to hire a good football coach. Did anyone expect Tressell would get the gig after Cooper? If Iowa hired a successful 1AA coach how would the fan base react? I expect that tOSU will hire a native but I don't think it will necessarily be someone that is splashed all over ESPN. I hope that tOSU doesn't raid another B10 school.

Latest posts