Who will lead the Hawkeye Basketball team in scoring?

I will take Basabe. Jess Settles averaged 15.3 pts his freshman year. Both are 6'7 forwards. Not inconceivable that Melsahn couldn't do the same thing.

Give me Basabe.

Why? Least competition for playing time. I believe Marble and Cartwright are going to warrant significant minutes in the back court therefore limiting the scoring numbers of Cully, Gatens and May.

wow, lots of people on the Basabe bandwagon I guess...one problem,when was the last time that a freshman was solid enough to go nite in nite out and score even double figures in conference. He might have a few good nites where he puts in 15-18 points in the pre-conference, but as soon as he does that he will be marked on the tape and get keyed on by the opposing team and being a freshman, he will be frustrated, foul, and end up playing 12 minutes and scoring 3 points on many nights. It would surprise me if Gatens didn't lead this team in scoring and I think he'll average 14.9 ppg for the season.

When was the last time a team with so little returning talent and overall height had a freshman come in and obviously be the most physically gifted player on the team? If (hopefully when) Fran starts bringing in recruits from the east coast and California on a regular basis I think Iowa fans are going to be shocked at how a lower rated player from NYC can be as good or better than some of the elite midwest talent. Maybe he will get frustrated and foul out in 12 minutes as you say, or maybe he is a smart kid who will be well coached enough to avoid falling into that trap. I'm betting on the latter.

Yeah, not quite sure why everyone is jumping on the Basabe bandwagon, look I know he did well in the PTL, but lets not go overboard, quite yet. I expect Basabe to help out Cole a ton by being able to rotate and help on defense and block shots and give some much needed rebounding help. I would be surprised to see him average above 8 ppg, but that would be a bonus if he does. Expect him to have some good and bad scoring games. Expect him to lead Iowa in shot blocking and possibly rebounding, but I would expect Jarryd Cole to lead in rebounding given the help he should have this season.

I guess I'm just not that confident in the scoring ability of any of the returning players. Maybe that is solely due to the system they played in for the last few years and guys like Gatens and Cole will suddenly turn in to scoring machines under Fran, but I doubt it. They all seem a step too slow for the Big10. Hope they end up proving me wrong.

I guess I'm just not that confident in the scoring ability of any of the returning players. Maybe that is solely due to the system they played in for the last few years and guys like Gatens and Cole will suddenly turn in to scoring machines under Fran, but I doubt it. They all seem a step too slow for the Big10. Hope they end up proving me wrong.

Well, you will be wrong about Gatens. He led Iowa last year in the slow down system. Why would I be led to believe that he won't do that again? He is going to be leaner and quicker, Coach Fran pointed out to him to become lean and he lost 15 lbs. I am not sure what you have been watching the last couple of seasons. Iowa has shot and shot and shot 3-pointers just settling. Gatens showed at times that he can drive, but it was easier and accepted to shoot the 3-pointer under Lickliter.
You also stated that Iowa has little returning talent, again what did you watch last season, the problem with Iowa was they had ZERO depth, their starters were not bad, but the bench was and atrocity. That goes hand in hand with the players leaving, but also the trouble's of Tucker. Blame who ever you want for the lack of depth, but that was the real issue last season, there is no reason to have multiple players averaging 30+ minutes per game, but when you have nobody on the bench that can contribute, there is no choice. Iowa will have depth in the backcourt this season allowing Payne, Gatens and May to play harder and not hold back and try to conserve themselves. The frontcourt is the problem, but Basabe will be an immediate contributor. Archie/Brommer need to play solid minutes and not hurt Iowa when they are on the floor, their job play defense and rebound. The Iowa program has a lot of youth, but also has a lot of experience. If the frontcourt players can stay out of foul trouble, Iowa will not be as bad as I have saw people think. The one real problem for the Hawks this season will be the fact that the Big Ten will be the best baskteball conference with 3 teams in Michigan State, Purdue and Illinois having chances at the Final Four and Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota and Ohio State being Tournament teams. Iowa doesn't have much rooom for error in the frontcourt for foul issues. One thing is for sure, with the depth, experience and the recruiting class, Iowa will be much better, but with the depth of the Big Ten the record may not be that much better, it will just depend on the Non-Conference record.

Well, you will be wrong about Gatens. He led Iowa last year in the slow down system. Why would I be led to believe that he won't do that again? He is going to be leaner and quicker, Coach Fran pointed out to him to become lean and he lost 15 lbs. I am not sure what you have been watching the last couple of seasons. Iowa has shot and shot and shot 3-pointers just settling. Gatens showed at times that he can drive, but it was easier and accepted to shoot the 3-pointer under Lickliter.
You also stated that Iowa has little returning talent, again what did you watch last season, the problem with Iowa was they had ZERO depth, their starters were not bad, but the bench was and atrocity. That goes hand in hand with the players leaving, but also the trouble's of Tucker. Blame who ever you want for the lack of depth, but that was the real issue last season, there is no reason to have multiple players averaging 30+ minutes per game, but when you have nobody on the bench that can contribute, there is no choice. Iowa will have depth in the backcourt this season allowing Payne, Gatens and May to play harder and not hold back and try to conserve themselves. The frontcourt is the problem, but Basabe will be an immediate contributor. Archie/Brommer need to play solid minutes and not hurt Iowa when they are on the floor, their job play defense and rebound. The Iowa program has a lot of youth, but also has a lot of experience. If the frontcourt players can stay out of foul trouble, Iowa will not be as bad as I have saw people think. The one real problem for the Hawks this season will be the fact that the Big Ten will be the best baskteball conference with 3 teams in Michigan State, Purdue and Illinois having chances at the Final Four and Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota and Ohio State being Tournament teams. Iowa doesn't have much rooom for error in the frontcourt for foul issues. One thing is for sure, with the depth, experience and the recruiting class, Iowa will be much better, but with the depth of the Big Ten the record may not be that much better, it will just depend on the Non-Conference record.

Yeah.... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the overall talent level of the Iowa basketball program right now. I'm no expert, but I know what I see with my own 2 eyes and the last couple years are easily the least talented Iowa teams I've seen in my life.

I agree with this order although think it might be a bit high for all players.

You agree that Gatens will be 5th on the team in scoring? No way

Gatens will be #1 or 2...not because he is great but because who else is going to do it. Im excited about Basabe but lets calm down a little bit

Basabe.

Gatens is a has been that never was.

Basabe 18.7 ppg
Marble 15.00 ppg
May 13.00 ppg
Brommer 10.00 ppg
Gatens 9 ppg
Cully 8.7 ppg
Cole 6.00 ppg

As pointed out several times there are so many things wrong with this post I dont know what to nitpick. I guess i will go with Marble being closer to 5 ppg than 15

He isnt physically ready to play night in and night out

Yeah.... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the overall talent level of the Iowa basketball program right now. I'm no expert, but I know what I see with my own 2 eyes and the last couple years are easily the least talented Iowa teams I've seen in my life.

Overall talent, I can agree, but the biggest problem was the players leaving and the lack of depth. The problems of the program, the players leaving and the lack of winning make the good players not look good. Iowa's starting five could play last year, but who could come off the bench and provide anything...nobody. With four starters back and Basabe, whom everyone thinks is the second-coming of God, maybe he will start, it is looking like he will. Cartwright, Marble, McCabe, Archie and Brommer (maybe) can provide something from the bench Iowa hasn't had...depth. In the Big Ten, unless you are OSU and have the POY, you just can't play ANY style with no depth. Iowa has some good players, now they are going to have a little depth, but the glaring weakpoint will be the lack of height in the frontcourt. Disagree with me all you want, but with Coach Fran, there is a new attitude and the players will respond in a positive way, I just feel bad for Jarryd Cole with what he has went through, but I give him a ton of credit to stick it out, that's quality character and hopefully, Iowa can get more players with his attitude.

You agree that Gatens will be 5th on the team in scoring? No way

Gatens will be #1 or 2...not because he is great but because who else is going to do it. Im excited about Basabe but lets calm down a little bit

Gatens is slow and can't create his own shots. He flourished in Lickliters system.

This push the ball get up and down system will not fit his strengths. He should have split for Wisconsin while he could.

Actually I think that unless we have McCaffrey system misunderstood it would make sense that Gatens having the best 3 pt. percentage of any player on our team by 25% that he would be huge. Then, Payne will be second in scoring with Cole rounding out the top three in scoring.

May will be a big time scorer at some point, but will have to now figure out his role again! I think that our new guys will take some time since they have suspect shooting skills currently outside 12 ft. (Basabe) and the other has difficulty handling the strength at the edge (Marble).

McCabe might suprise us all and be the most consistent of all the new freshmen.

Gaten.....14pt
Payne.....11pt
Cole.......10pt

We will be a very suspect team most evenings in defense and will have a tough time playing a team with two scorers with one being inside.

It will be a 9 Win season I hope.....if we win more than the football team that would be nice but only if it is 13 Wins....

Gatens is slow and can't create his own shots. He flourished in Lickliters system.

This push the ball get up and down system will not fit his strengths. He should have split for Wisconsin while he could.

You know there is only one player from the Lickliter era that we know little about and that is Brommer.
To say I expect him to have a breakout season would not be out of the question and by "breakout" I mean being part of the regular rotation.
Now back to Gatens, why are fans so down on this guy? To say he "flourished" I think is an overstatement. If one player with Lickliter "flourished" Lickliter would still be Iowa's coach.
Gatens has been the most consistent player on Iowa's roster for the past two seasons, so I am kinda confused why people really are so down on him. While everyone was boo-hooing about Fuller, I had no issues that he left for whatever reason.
Now that Iowa has a little depth in the backcourt and the new system, expect Gatens to shoot more mid-range shots and get to the rim when the opportunity presents itself, he started doing that toward the end of the season and it worked. Gatens has lost 15 lbs. so he should have improved quickness and that will help him with the up and down game and on defense and especially the press.

I think May is gonna lead the team in scoring and it shouldn't come as a surprise. You could see him start to become comfortable in the 2nd half of the season last year. At this point he's our best athlete and finisher. At least until one of the incoming freshmen prove otherwise.

This post is what excites me about this year. You could make the argument for anyone of the five starters. They all have strengths that make them dangerous scorers. In recent years we haven't been so optimistic about who was going to score. Cully can score anywhere on the court (with his left that is). Matt can shoot, May is our streak shooter, with the dunks to excite the crowd. Basabe and Cole are going to free each other up. First time in a long time we have a full complement of weapons in our starters.

This makes no sense. Iowa didnt run an offense under Lickliter and were forced to take bad shots. The only "system" was to dribble for 30 seconds and chuck up a bad 3. Now when they get out and run better shots will be available...especially for shooters like Gatens (who happens to be the best shooter on the team).

He will average at least 13 ppg which will probably be enough to lead the team

Gatens is a good player. He was injured much of the season last year and played through the pain.

He will have a strong year this year. May also will be much better

Latest posts