Who will be the point guard next year?

uihawk82

After reading through the Gesell thread I started to wonder about this question. Is the next point guard already on the team? If so he hasnt beaten out Gesell as a starter? Some posters think Gesell is average at best but if there isnt someone on the team who, Sapp, who can beat him out then yikes for next year.

Do we have a stud point guard coming in next year that is expected to take us to 25+ wins?

Woody isnt a great center but losing him and Uthoff without having much height next year is bad enough but not having a good point guard could mean a below average season.

Next year is very worrisome. We won't have any size or true point guards on the roster.

Apparently Fran is sold on Christian Williams. The guy has played a total of 39 minutes. Scored 5 points and had 3 assists. Doesn't instill a ton of confidence in me.

Maybe he has a line on some incoming stud. I sure hope so.

Next years team is going to be a good one, it may be the most athletic team overall that Iowa. This includes the guard spots. Iowa has will have at least 2 very fine options at point guard these will include 6'6" Christian Williams who will create match up nightmares for opponent's points guards. He holds his high school's all time scoring record! Another great option will be Jordan Bohannon who is lighting it up from range for Linn Mar! It will be stress opponents defenses a lot to have a point guard that is such a great shooter. Not to mention Bohannon play well at both the high school and college level. This has been proven.

Christian Williams is a super smooth player. He's probably not going to take opponents off the bounce but I like the matchup issues he could cause with his height and 7 foot wingspan. The worst part is the youngsters are not getting many minutes due to the veteran core and solid non con.

I'm not comparing Williams to him as far as talent goes, but the same things were said about Magic Johnson. He was "too tall", "not quick enough", "not athletic enough", "not a good defender", etc. to play point guard in college. Guess what? He did OK. He even made the League and did alright there as well. We have no idea if he will step up, and we probably won't get a lot of minutes this year because we have two buys with a ton of experience that can play point guard. Let's wait and see how it plays out.

Next years team is going to be a good one, it may be the most athletic team overall that Iowa. This includes the guard spots. Iowa has will have at least 2 very fine options at point guard these will include 6'6" Christian Williams who will create match up nightmares for opponent's points guards. He holds his high school's all time scoring record! Another great option will be Jordan Bohannon who is lighting it up from range for Linn Mar! It will be stress opponents defenses a lot to have a point guard that is such a great shooter. Not to mention Bohannon play well at both the high school and college level. This has been proven.

IMO, next year will be a rebuilding year. I do not expect them to sniff the NCAA tournament.

Here's the starting 5 I'd like to see... Assuming Moss is a stud.
1. C Williams 6'6
2. Moss 6'6
3. Jok 6'6
4. Uhl 6'8
5. Tyler Cook 6'8

A lot of length and athleticism there, maybe not enough 3pt shooting so maybe go with another shooter over moss, but we obviously still have shooters coming off the bench in Brady, Jones, Fleming, Baer, and possibly Bohannon.

IMO, next year will be a rebuilding year. I do not expect them to sniff the NCAA tournament.

You don't expect them to sniff the tournament, that's questionable. I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but win 8-10 in the OOC and 8-10 in the Big Ten and BTT and you will definitely be on the bubble (sniffing) the tournament. Biggest ? is clearly the PG position but I think next years team will have a lot of depth, and scoring will not be an issue IMO. Plenty of size and plenty of 3pt shooting to be at the very least a bubble team.

Every college basketball team has weaknesses. Iowa is no different.

Folks will probably do what they did before last year and this year. They will hype up what every single opponent we play brings back. It's a defense mechanism to guard against getting angry after we lose at some point in the year. Our opponents will proceed to have underwhelming performances mixed in with an occasional good showing which hides the fact that most teams we play sans like 1-3 are extremely beatable.

I don't know if we'll make the dance, but to rule it out is silly.

Christian will be the primary ball handler. He has work to do like every freshman, but the tools are clearly all there. Needs work on doing the little things like pushing the pace, keeping his head up, and just understanding the offense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bohannon spent most of his time at the two.

I'm not comparing Williams to him as far as talent goes, but the same things were said about Magic Johnson. He was "too tall", "not quick enough", "not athletic enough", "not a good defender", etc. to play point guard in college. Guess what? He did OK. He even made the League and did alright there as well. We have no idea if he will step up, and we probably won't get a lot of minutes this year because we have two buys with a ton of experience that can play point guard. Let's wait and see how it plays out.

I was thinking more Michael Carter Williams while he was at Syracuse. I hope he can turn out to be half the player MCW was at the cuse his last year.

After reading through the Gesell thread I started to wonder about this question. Is the next point guard already on the team? If so he hasnt beaten out Gesell as a starter? Some posters think Gesell is average at best but if there isnt someone on the team who, Sapp, who can beat him out then yikes for next year.

Do we have a stud point guard coming in next year that is expected to take us to 25+ wins?

Woody isnt a great center but losing him and Uthoff without having much height next year is bad enough but not having a good point guard could mean a below average season.

I agree with what Jon said about next season being a rebuilding year.

The current players need to step it up big time. This is not a rebuilding year for Iowa and was looked at as one of the best recruiting years at Iowa. Then throw in Uthoff on top of that and this current team should really be taking it to teams. We have seen samples of their abilities already this year and if they can find their Identity then they could make B1G noise in the conference.

One of my biggest concerns as I have watched recruiting the last two years is the lack of height at the post positions. You can get by with 6'8" or 6'9" type of post players if they are muscular and have great leaping ability (see Reggie Evans) but if all you have is 6'6" or 6'7" then that is Lickliter territory. That's a weak forward position at best. I am hoping some of these guys have a growing spurt and put on about two or three inches. Is there a Eddie Horton in the group with great quickness and significant power..... that would help.

Latest posts