Who will be the 2 starting Safeties next year?

Marcus Hyde & Miller or Bernstine, Hitchens to LB.

Really?

Micah Hyde is a starting CB, Marcus played for MSU. Also, I think it's Miller and Bernstine. I think Hitchens could be there as well, but look for Law to play some and take over at SS as a sophomore.

BJ Lowery will start at CB, either Prater or Hyde moving to Safety, most likely Hyde. Hitchens will be a LB.

BJ Lowery will start at CB, either Prater or Hyde moving to Safety, most likely Hyde. Hitchens will be a LB.

This is interesting. I haven't heard much of this talk. Lowery a better cover guy? Hyde is probably physical enough to play safety but I think Hitch or Bernstein will play safety, but if Lowery can step in at parity or better this line up is interesting to say the least.

My guess would be Tanner Miller and Tom Donatell. N. Law backs up Donatell and takes over for him the year after. Bernstine backs up Tanner Miller. Him, Lowery, Lowe and Castillo battle for nickel and dime duty. The best depth we have had in awhile in the secondary.

I think Miller is the closest to a lock and the rest of the DBs will fight for the other spot. I don't think Prater or Hyde will switch but if either of them do, my money would be on Hyde.

Morehouse speculated in a recent article/post that Hyde could move to safety.

I seriously doubt that our coaches are adventurous enough to try it. Maybe they will tinker around a little bit in spring ball, but our staff is still extremely reluctant to change.

Miller & Bernstine at the start of the year and Hitchens overtakes Bernstine later. Hitchens looks like he can't get big enough to be a true LB but was solid as NB at bowl game.

People predicting Bernstine as starting safety have seen him accomplish exactly one tackle in the last season...maybe two. That was on the Missouri WR. He had a nice form tackle, but I'm not sure why that gives people so much confidence that he can be a starting safety.

I would suggest: Miller & Donatell, w/ Nico getting some time. I like the idea of Hyde, if Lowery can play CB. Safety in Iowa's system is much more important than CB.

People predicting Bernstine as starting safety have seen him accomplish exactly one tackle in the last season...maybe two. That was on the Missouri WR. He had a nice form tackle, but I'm not sure why that gives people so much confidence that he can be a starting safety.

I would suggest: Miller & Donatell, w/ Nico getting some time. I like the idea of Hyde, if Lowery can play CB. Safety in Iowa's system is much more important than CB.

Says the guy who goes on to say Nico will get some time. A kid, mind you, who has yet to put on a jersey, let alone make a tackle. :)

Iowa is going to put the 4 best DB's on the field, Lowery is in that 4. Either Prater or Hyde will switch to Safety, most likely Hyde. Hitchens will play LB and possibly start.

Gotta agree with you on this one. The form of coverage Iowa runs requires everyone to handle their responsibilities equally. But Iowa has a tendency to move guys from Safety to corner, but not vice versa, which would indicate that they put more emphasis on the corner position.

Donatell did get some PT this year. We also have a tradition of bringing safeties in as walkons and they turn out to be multi year starters.

Latest posts