Who will be the 2 starting Safeties next year?

Gotta agree with you on this one. The form of coverage Iowa runs requires everyone to handle their responsibilities equally. But Iowa has a tendency to move guys from Safety to corner, but not vice versa, which would indicate that they put more emphasis on the corner position.

Godfrey was originally slated to play CB when recruited ... however, due to need he slid over to safety for a bit. However, not long after that, he got moved back over to CB so that he could have a chance to be a 2-year starter.

Also, if memorey serves due to injuries, we slid Shada over free safety and had Fletcher play at CB. Of course, that was only a short term move.

Last edited:
Hyde to safety would be an intriguing move. Most of what I hear about Lowery has been VERY positive. I don't think that it's a stretch to believe Lowery is withing the top 4 in the secondary.

What I'm not so certain about is a long-term move by Hitchens to LB.

Of course, given that Iowa recruited so many LBs ... and given the fact that Iowa also is in need of developing some rush-ends ... it could be that the coaches might be anticipating that one or two of the LBs might end up moving over to DE.

Actually ugk the notion that safety is more important in the Iowa system is true. Because anybody can play 15 yards off a wide-receiver and be in the right place. Safeties in Iowa's system have much more responsibility than just let a guy catch the ball 15 yards in front of you and go tackle him. Obviously the whole thing is more intricate than that but i'm just saying........

Miller and Donatell or Miller and Bernstine. No way prater (all big ten cornerback) gets moved to safety as a senior. Now he'll probably get moved to safety when he goes to the nfl (read: charles godfrey, merton hanks, etc.) but he and hyde will be our starting corners next year mark it down. Barring injury nobody will be overtaking them.

First of all anyone playing 15 yards off of the WR still needs to make the tackle.

Second of all you didn't see Spievey lining up 15 yards off the ball, and he didn't because he had the ability to lock up a WR. Hyde was young an inexperienced (though improved greatly second half) and Prater is a good tackler but not a good cover corner (IMO). From a pass coverage standpoint the team will be much improved.

Third, you say safeties have so much responsibility in Iowa's system, but you didn't name one thing they actually do that's different from most other teams. I'd say their main responsibility is not to get beat deep and make the tackle in front of them, which is exactly what you're critical of the CB's for doing. Unlike the CB's, they're engaging WR 3's, TE's, or helping on deep balls where CB's are engaging WR 1's and 2's and often without help.

If safety is more important than CB for Iowa then we are going to be in huge trouble next year, because we got shredded last year with one of the most experienced safety tandems we've had in some time. And as nice as it is to have a Bob Sanders back there, I'd be tempted to say safety is the least important unit on the defense for Iowa.

FS is essentially the center fielder of the hawkeye D and has a lot of responsibilities in Iowa's system akin to what the Mike and Center have: reading whats happening and calling out adjustments. The FS has to be athletic - and smart.

Now if youve ever spent time around college teams, you'll notice that CB's typically (not always obviously) are very athletic but not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Having a "shutdown" corner is great, but they can be gameplanned against much easier than dealing with a great FS or SS, but they can ballhawk by using their athletic abilities and instincts across the field.

I think we've ALL seen what an outstanding SS can do in both the pass game and the run game...

For those reasons I can see Hyde moving to FS - b/c of his ball skills - but since we all know Miller has been groomed for it, its a moot point.

If you don't think safeties are the most important parts of the secondary you dont pay much attention to what Norm says. Why do you think he was raving about Greenwood almost immediately when he was on campus?

He needs a great center fielder to make sure everyones in proper alignment on the field, just like he needs a great Mike.

Never underestimate the importance of the mental aspect of the game...

hopefully its someone who will hit someone. Greenwood may have been smart but he didnt strike fear in anyone coming across the middle.

Having a "shutdown" corner is great, but they can be gameplanned against much easier than dealing with a great FS or SS, but they can ballhawk by using their athletic abilities and instincts across the field.
to make sure everyones in proper alignment on the field, just like he needs a game...

The reason Iowa puts such an emphasis on safeties is because it is way easier to find a player with the athletic ability of a safety than a shut down corner.

But to say a shut down corner is easier to game plan against is silly. Game planning a shutdown corner means giving up half the field. That is not game planning. Safeties are actually easier to game plan against, because the QB reads the safeties and throws away to single coverage. A lockdown corner takes away that option.

Now, you do have the run support safeties like Bob, Troy, and Harrison. These guys are special, but you take Revis over any of these guys if you have the choice.

hopefully its someone who will hit someone. Greenwood may have been smart but he didnt strike fear in anyone coming across the middle.

I absolutely disagree with this statement. He had no problem sticking his helmet in a WR's ribs and broke-up many a pass. He will be sorely missed next season.

And I disagree too ... but for a whole different reason. There are plenty of safeties who "hit" in the college ranks ... however, there aren't as many who consistently tackle well and position themselves well. As an example, if you've watched Illinois much at all over the past several years ... they've had quite a bit of athleticism and speed at safety ... and many of the guys were pretty big "hitters" too. However, poor safety play also absolutely killed their D for years.

I'll take a Greenwood over a pure "hitter" pretty much any day.

Latest posts