Who was the last player we had of Marble's caliber?

Pierre pierce was a walking turnover. You guys have a terrible memory. He could get to the hoop or turn it over. I remember a couple 8 or 9 turnover game. Nullifying anything he'd done from a scoring point.

And Marble disappeared against every big opponent Iowa played this year. Every player has faults, Pierce's was TOs, but Pierre's all-around game, offense and defense, was far ahead of Marble's.

The best all around player I can think of. His game has really taken off since coming back out of his funk midseason. He can play 3 different positions. Can't compare him to any past players. Very unique. Can't wait to see him his senior season. Don't forget he is young for his class and never got to redshirt.

So there's no question now that Marble's starting at point and MG at the two next year, right?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Fran said the coaches keep coming back to "maybe he's better with the ball." He excelled in that role last year, and he's taking things to a whole new level now. I think Iowa is dancing no matter where the put Marble, but I'm really starting to think Iowa is at its best when he's at the point.

Im not sure if your trying to be funny or not.

Pre injury Recker was the best guard at Iowa the last 20 years other than Woolridge.

trying to be funny. my honest memory of him is him jacking up threes with high efficiency, and being automatic at the charity stripe. two things pierre couldn't do.

It's awesome that we're even talking about this, and amazing how things have changed sine the Minny road game period of the season. If we're making comparisons and NIT Dev is the comparator, he's the best Iowa player since Woolridge/Marble1.
Dev has done it all the last three games.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Fran said the coaches keep coming back to "maybe he's better with the ball." He excelled in that role last year, and he's taking things to a whole new level now. I think Iowa is dancing no matter where the put Marble, but I'm really starting to think Iowa is at its best when he's at the point.

Mike also looks very comfortable off the ball, really like him running off screens in an Ogelsby role next season. Not only does he have a good stroke, but unlike Josh he can put the ball on the deck and get in the lane and make plays. He was ridiculously efficient tonight, 7 points, an assist, rebound and 2 steals in 7 minutes.

Mike also looks very comfortable off the ball, really like him running off screens in an Ogelsby role next season. Not only does he have a good stroke, but unlike Josh he can put the ball on the deck and get in the lane and make plays. He was ridiculously efficient tonight, 7 points, an assist, rebound and 2 steals in 7 minutes.
I aggree with this. MG really looking good at the 2. We have a lot of options for gaurds next year. A lot of them cant play both 1 and 2. I really wonder if there is going to be much if any of a role on the team for JO next year.

And Marble disappeared against every big opponent Iowa played this year. Every player has faults, Pierce's was TOs, but Pierre's all-around game, offense and defense, was far ahead of Marble's.

That isn't true about Marble, his problem was that he had that terrible slump/injury while Iowa played many of those good teams.

Pierre was the much better defender though, so I'd take him.

I think Kelly is a good comparison. Lanky guard that does well with the ball in his hands. Gatens was a player, but such a different skill set.

Marble is the better player, just comparing style.

This. Neither were overly quick or athletic, but both still were/are able to get their looks and pts.

Since the OP said "regardless of position" and mostly guards have been listed I have to throw out Greg Brunner. Led the league in rebounding, he scored efficiently, and played good defense.

Pierce and Tyler Smith were our last two players who you could look at and say "that guy might be able to stick on an NBA roster." I know Haluska was drafted and all, but those two guys were our best athletes in roughly the past decade.
Smith was the first name that came to my mind. He had a lot of potential and had a decent career at Tennessee. He was Iowa's best player when he was a freshmen and could have been great at Iowa.

GO HAWKS!!!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by thejumper5 And Marble disappeared against every big opponent Iowa played this year. Every player has faults, Pierce's was TOs, but Pierre's all-around game, offense and defense, was far ahead of Marble's.
That isn't true about Marble, his problem was that he had that terrible slump/injury while Iowa played many of those good teams.

Pierre was the much better defender though, so I'd take him.
That's the first thing I thought of when I read the post. Marble didn't disappear, he was injured/slumping during a very difficult stretch. I'd love to play those games now. The result would be much different and we'd be dancing.

GO HAWKS!!!

Latest posts