Who the heck is left for 2011?

Gohawks123

I just went through the Rivals database and Katenda is really the only quality recruit left on there that we have interested in us. Where do we go from here? Juco's?

Fran said in his presser that they are signing two (White and Oglesby) next week and are going down the JUCO route now to fill out remainder of scholarships. Maybe some late prospects that got passed by earlier will pop up too.

My guess is Katenda ends up a 2012 prospect anyway. I agree that we probably look JUCO for a big.

My guess is Katenda ends up a 2012 prospect anyway. I agree that we probably look JUCO for a big.

I am pretty sure this early signing period will set a record for most top 150 guys signing early. That also does not help Iowa's situation.

I really think we are in trouble for the 2011 class. Without a good class in 2011 that means we will be struggling for atleast 2 maybe 3 more years. I hope I'm wrong.

I really think we are in trouble for the 2011 class. Without a good class in 2011 that means we will be struggling for atleast 2 maybe 3 more years. I hope I'm wrong.
Why would we be struggling for the next few years? We are going to be starting at least 2 freshman and the team is young. We will be fine. It is amazing how everyone struggles with who we sign and if we don't sign someone the sky is falling. Fran hasn't coached a single game and the negativity is rampant already. Trust me, you will be suprised at the difference of a team that plays his style. He will probably go Juco and next year the class will come together.

I have this feeling that majority of people are selling this team short. I think with the new system and the freshmen coming in we are going to compete and win more games than most are predicting. Just a feeling I have. Hope I am right.

Why would we be struggling for the next few years? We are going to be starting at least 2 freshman and the team is young. We will be fine. It is amazing how everyone struggles with who we sign and if we don't sign someone the sky is falling. Fran hasn't coached a single game and the negativity is rampant already. Trust me, you will be suprised at the difference of a team that plays his style. He will probably go Juco and next year the class will come together.

The poster was being realistic. There aren't many teams that turn the corner without significantly upgrading their talent. We haven't done that yet. Could Fran get it done with what we have now? Sure. Is it likely? Historically it is very unlikely. Put our recruiting class for 2010 and so far for 2011 up against the rest of the Big 10....its not good.

I have this feeling that majority of people are selling this team short. I think with the new system and the freshmen coming in we are going to compete and win more games than most are predicting. Just a feeling I have. Hope I am right.

This. I am not one to be overly optimistic. I am one to sit back and watch. But I agree, I think more people than not are selling this team short. The returning guys have not had fun playing BB for a while, so just the fact that they will be out there having a good time will make a HUGE difference.

Agreed, Iowa will be better than expected.

Who is left? A couple under the radar: Greg Sequele and Luke Mergerson

Unless there is a JUCO player out there the staff feels can make an impact, stay away...please

The poster was being realistic. There aren't many teams that turn the corner without significantly upgrading their talent. We haven't done that yet. Could Fran get it done with what we have now? Sure. Is it likely? Historically it is very unlikely. Put our recruiting class for 2010 and so far for 2011 up against the rest of the Big 10....its not good.
According to who? You haven't seen them play. I think personally that we had a nice upgrade in talent and in the system. I just don't agree with anyone that is making a judgement from the couch or the armchair on how good these guys can be. I may change my mind after 10 games but right now based on the HS films of the incoming freshman I see a positve movement. I said it from the beginning of Frans tenure, chemistry is everything. When players believe in each other they can overcome a lot.

Fran has upgraded the length of the bench. This could make a huge difference in player development and possibly provide some role players over the next 4 years. It would be great to start landing 4 and 5 stars, but I doubt we see them until Iowa starts posting some wins.

According to who? You haven't seen them play. I think personally that we had a nice upgrade in talent and in the system. I just don't agree with anyone that is making a judgement from the couch or the armchair on how good these guys can be. I may change my mind after 10 games but right now based on the HS films of the incoming freshman I see a positve movement. I said it from the beginning of Frans tenure, chemistry is everything. When players believe in each other they can overcome a lot.

I don't see how losing arguably the best player on the team and replacing that with 3 freshman as much of a talent upgrade for this season. Everyone looks good in their videos that's the point, I don't think many bball players would make a video of their bad performances.

Do you know is Iowa is actively recruiting Luke Mergeson?

He seems like a good option as seems similar to T. Gipson who they were recruiting prior to him committing to KSU.

Do you know is Iowa is actively recruiting Luke Mergeson?

He seems like a good option as seems similar to T. Gipson who they were recruiting prior to him committing to KSU.

Luke played with Coach Diilards son in AAU and lists Iowa as a school of interest. That is about all I know at this point.

I don't see how losing arguably the best player on the team and replacing that with 3 freshman as much of a talent upgrade for this season. Everyone looks good in their videos that's the point, I don't think many bball players would make a video of their bad performances.

It's not like we lost arguably the best player off a tournament team. We lost the best player off arguably the worse Iowa team in the last 30 years. It's not surprising to me that 3 incoming Freshman could upgrade the talent on this team. This not FB where it takes time to develop physically in BB your either have it or you don't. I'll take our Freshman plus Cartwright over one player Fuller any day. I think this team will be tremendously improved over last years squad.

i hope we dont just waste schollys. we have done that enough. i think we are fine. we won what 10 games last year but lost a couple early we could have won and were close in some latter games. with a little more depth I am hoping we can get to 13-16 wins. not bad for a first year. i would rather save the schollys for 2012 and make a run at some people.

It's not like we lost arguably the best player off a tournament team. We lost the best player off arguably the worse Iowa team in the last 30 years. It's not surprising to me that 3 incoming Freshman could upgrade the talent on this team. This not FB where it takes time to develop physically in BB your either have it or you don't. I'll take our Freshman plus Cartwright over one player Fuller any day. I think this team will be tremendously improved over last years squad.

Its not like any of these freshmen are 5 star recruits either with the likes of KU, UNC, and Duke after them either. I think they would all be red-shirt material if not for the lack of talent on this team. Basabe was a mid-major going to Siena before Fran came to Iowa. Our recruiting level is currently on par with the top mid-major teams. And some of those mid majors are probably ahead of us. It would not have surprised me if Fuller averaged almost as many points a game as all 3 of the freshman combined had he stayed.

Latest posts