Who should the Cubs target?

He isn't.

Instead, I am bordering on brain-dead and probably need to start worrying about the onset of senility.

Why I referred to Aaron Shafer I have not a clue. I MEANT to point out that the #1 prospect in the Cub organization is young, lanky RHP Chris Archer.

Archer started the year in high Class A at Daytona in the FSL, and put up very good numbers: 72 IP, only 54 hits, 26 BB, 82 K, won 7, lost only once, good ERA 0f 2.86, good WHIP of 1.11. He moved up to be the ace of the staff at Double Tennessee: 68 IP, only 47 hits, 37 BB, 65 K, won 8, lost 2, excellent 1.85 ERA, WHIP a bit high for the Southern League at 1.24 (because of those 37 walks).

Control and command make him still a work in process, and he probably is a year or more away from Wrigley. He could stand to put on some weight/muscle, but at only 21 that usually comes with physical maturity.
The scouts say he will be the #1 starter for the Cubs eventually.

Shafter has a chance to make it to the majors, have a decent career in the bullpen--southpaws with good control who have at least two effective pitches even if they don't have overpowering stuff tend to hang around, and Shafer is the prototype lefty (despite his size).

Cub fans who anticipate Cashner becoming a key member of the starting rotation are in for disappointment IMO. He is no closer to having a second "out" pitch than he was when he was drafted. His pitches all come in at too much the same velocity, and major league hitters feast on that. As I said, his ERA is around six runs a game now, and the more hitters see of him, the higher it will climb. From what I see, he needs to go back to Iowa or Tennessee next year to get instruction from a top-quality pitching coach and to concentrate on mastering a change-up and a breaking pitch (preferably both), forget about wins & losses, acquire the means and learn to keep hitters off-balance & unable to sit on the fast ball.

So, yes, Cashner COULD have more upside than Shafer...but probably won't. But the prospect I meant to get excited about is Chris Archer.
MEA CULPA.
Hey, no problem. I agree on Archer. He seems to have promise. I still think Cashner is young and can develop the second pitch. I thought he got better after his 2 disastrous outings back to back in late July where he gave up 6 runs in Houston then 6 runs in Colorado. Pinella just kept putting him in there (granted, what was there to lose) and Cashner seemed to respond a bit. He has work to do (there is no doubt).

It will be interesting to see the direction of the Cubs pitching going forward once the changes are made to the MLB level coaching staff.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts