Who needs offense

I am not a football coach but when we are first and goal at the 6 I am an advocate for the qb sneak on 3 straight plays. We must average 3-4 yards every time we run that I think we could just plow in behind our all American center.
I just don’t understand why we don’t run that play more often. It’s an easy 3 yards every time they run it.

My biggest worry is when a team doesn't throw a pick. Obviously they're not flukes, but they're not guaranteed either.

Agreed. But at the same time Iowa's offense has shown really good play for about halves of games. yesterday when they had the wind and psu had to back off a bit they scored 20 points.

The more important point is last week against Maryland, which does not have as good a defense than PSU, the hawk offense moved the ball pretty well.

And in the Colo St game the offense proved it could put together some drives.

I am not a football coach but when we are first and goal at the 6 I am an advocate for the qb sneak on 3 straight plays. We must average 3-4 yards every time we run that I think we could just plow in behind our all American center.
I was saying this on a few occasions. When we needed to ice the game, when inside the 10, 3rd and 3 or 2. Why not. Best chance for positive yards.

I really think the offensive philosophy is to play a fairly vanilla game plan and play into what the defense expects and if it works and gets some points, great. If not, they assume the D and ST will keep the game close and all that vanilla/obvious play calling sets up a big play or two late in the game when they run a variation on what they have been doing all game. Not that I necessarily like that strategy, but I believe that is the game plan. Especially against good teams/good defenses.

Some of the play calling by Brian was just brutal. The D gave the offense great position all second half and Iowa kept shooting themselves in the foot. BUT, Spencer made the big pass when he had to, but that last series before the half and the one with two minutes left were complete head scratchers. Kirk would rather give the ball back to PSU than let his son try to get a first down to ice the game. Kirk doesn't even trust him.
I excited we won, don't get me wrong, the D was awesome, Tory for MVP, hats off to Charlie, but the offense is still a baby bird that fell out of the nest. WHY?

Our offensive line cannot take over a game and actually has issues. Did you see how many times PSU sent one or two extra rushers into gaps to stop the run or go after Petras. Kirk after the game said they send at least one extra guy about 40% of the time. Our Oline is pretty young but Shott is getting more time now so maybe that will help.

Last edited:
I think some of you are a bit too pessimistic about Iowa's offense. This is, by far, the best D we have seen or will see for the rest of the season. If we had the type of offense that could put up 40 on these guys, we'd be Bama (yeah, I know Bama lost tonight, but you take my point).

Going out and imposing your will on a top flight D, while it happens, is just not a reasonable expectation for the overwhelming majority of programs.

The weather is going to start getting cruddier so that always slows things down, but I could imagine us hanging 40+ another couple times before the year is done.

Also, after a really shaky start, Petras was 16/22 for 181 yards and 2 TDs through the final 3 quarters. And this against a very good defense with a WR corps that might charitably be called "scrappy". Some will just never see it this way, but we could do so much worse.
The best defense we will see until Georgia.

The amount of posts on reddit about how PSU was the better team and how the game would have been different had Clifford not been hurt... F em.

Clifford showed up to a prize fight and he got knocked out. It's happened to us way deeper into seasons before, and when it happened and Iowa lost, I'm not all ifs and buts that Iowa was clearlybetter than OSU because we took them to OT with our second-string QB, and claiming we should be ranked higher than.they after we lost to them.

Calls for OSU and Oklahoma to be ranked higher than us, for Iowa to move down in the rankings because of how they played plagued Reddit. It sounded like we were getting some respect. We were not. It's all fake platitudes because they just thought PSU would win and Iow would fade.

Iowa won. Now it's real. Now they're pissed. Now the whole world has clown logic.

Get ready for Fake I.D. 2.0, because it's coming.

Taking a knee on that last drive was pretty questionable. But, KF knew that kid was not going to drive 50 yards in 35 seconds with no time outs. I guess he decided that a fumble at midfield was a greater risk. He is the coach of the #2 team in the nation!!
Higher chance of a fluke fumble or interception than PSU driving 99 yards in under a minute. I agree with him.

I really think the offensive philosophy is to play a fairly vanilla game plan and play into what the defense expects and if it works and gets some points, great. If not, they assume the D and ST will keep the game close and all that vanilla/obvious play calling sets up a big play or two late in the game when they run a variation on what they have been doing all game. Not that I necessarily like that strategy, but I believe that is the game plan. Especially against good teams/good defenses.
See the 2005 Capital One Bowl for Kirk’s preferred big game game plan.

The amount of posts on reddit about how PSU was the better team and how the game would have been different had Clifford not been hurt... F em.

Clifford showed up to a prize fight and he got knocked out. It's happened to us way deeper into seasons before, and when it happened and Iowa lost, I'm not all ifs and buts that Iowa was clearlybetter than OSU because we took them to OT with our second-string QB, and claiming we should be ranked higher than.they after we lost to them.

Calls for OSU and Oklahoma to be ranked higher than us, for Iowa to move down in the rankings because of how they played plagued Reddit. It sounded like we were getting some respect. We were not. It's all fake platitudes because they just thought PSU would win and Iow would fade.

Iowa won. Now it's real. Now they're pissed. Now the whole world has clown logic.

Get ready for Fake I.D. 2.0, because it's coming.
Reddit is a cesspool of legitimate communists and disgruntled millennials who blame everyone else for their poor life decisions. If Reddit is saying it and you at all think it’s bullshit, it probably is bullshit of the highest order.

Last edited:
Taking a knee on that last drive was pretty questionable. But, KF knew that kid was not going to drive 50 yards in 35 seconds with no time outs. I guess he decided that a fumble at midfield was a greater risk. He is the coach of the #2 team in the nation!!

When we got the ball after the Hankins pick iirc with 2:10 left I thought a QB sneak on first down would have been a good call. Try to squeeze out 2 yards, maybe 3. It is a safe play. Then run the play clock down and maybe run another qb sneak to get into a 3rd and 5 or 6. At that point you can stay with the qb sneak or try another running play to get a seam and end the game.

Your analysis is spot on. We had a third and two at one point and I said the same thing. We didn't QB sneak and ended up punting

Taking the knee was the right call. It told our defense that the Captain believes in them. It will also wreck Roberson's psyche for the rest of his life. Ferentz has ruined a slew of QBs over the past few years. Slovis, Purdy, Penix, Tua Jr., Clifford and now Roberson. When you're a high recruit like Roberson and Ferentz disrespects you like that, it is almost impossible to recover. PSU will implode from this point out.

Latest posts