Who needs offense

Kirk on the postgame said PSU blitzed at least 40% of the time, just shooting guys into gaps, so that is hard for any offensive line. Penn Sts' defense is really good and for our offense to earn 20 of the 23 points is pretty good.

I do not think the hawks will play as good of defense in the remaining 6 games as tonite, maybe Wisky and nebby is looking pretty good.

Will have to rewatch, only saw maybe 30% with this wedding. Was it as ugly as what I saw? How bad is the Clifford injury? Moss?

Both teams struggled against the wind. I think Iowa scored 20 of their points with the wind and only scored that FG early because they started at the PSU 8. psu blitzed a lot to stop the run, mess things up and to pressure petras so our OLine was off and on.

My biggest worry is when a team doesn't throw a pick. Obviously they're not flukes, but they're not guaranteed either.

Some of the play calling by Brian was just brutal. The D gave the offense great position all second half and Iowa kept shooting themselves in the foot. BUT, Spencer made the big pass when he had to, but that last series before the half and the one with two minutes left were complete head scratchers. Kirk would rather give the ball back to PSU than let his son try to get a first down to ice the game. Kirk doesn't even trust him.

Some of the play calling by Brian was just brutal. The D gave the offense great position all second half and Iowa kept shooting themselves in the foot. BUT, Spencer made the big pass when he had to, but that last series before the half and the one with two minutes left were complete head scratchers. Kirk would rather give the ball back to PSU than let his son try to get a first down to ice the game. Kirk doesn't even trust him.
Or Petra's for that matter

Will have to rewatch, only saw maybe 30% with this wedding. Was it as ugly as what I saw? How bad is the Clifford injury? Moss?
clifford looked like ribs - just a clean shot.
Moss was an odd one - just sort of jogging and jumped and went down - those non-contact ones scare me - but I haven't heard any news

Or Petra's for that matter
I'm not even blaming Petras for the play calling. I guess all the RB dives up the middle were to set up the game winning Play action pass. Brian is sneaky that way. PSU has a great D but it seems like they must have been in our huddle all night. They executed our plays like they called them. My favorite was the designed QB run with a slow QB on a gimpy leg. A thing of Beauty.

I excited we won, don't get me wrong, the D was awesome, Tory for MVP, hats off to Charlie, but the offense is still a baby bird that fell out of the nest. WHY?

I excited we won, don't get me wrong, the D was awesome, Tory for MVP, hats off to Charlie, but the offense is still a baby bird that fell out of the nest. WHY?

Even baby birds have to learn to fly

And avoid Sylvester

Monday Again? | Tweety, Happy good friday, Sylvester the cat

My main issue is the play calling today was when we were 1st and goal twice from the 10. We get too cute and lose yards. That's where the lack of a power running game show most.

We lost yards on either 1st or 2nd down both times.

There's about 7-8 times a game that BF just outthinks himself.

On a different note, CryFan is losing its mind over how they are so much better and how Iowa is maybe a top 15 team and how Iowa is the luckiest team ever.

I think some of you are a bit too pessimistic about Iowa's offense. This is, by far, the best D we have seen or will see for the rest of the season. If we had the type of offense that could put up 40 on these guys, we'd be Bama (yeah, I know Bama lost tonight, but you take my point).

Going out and imposing your will on a top flight D, while it happens, is just not a reasonable expectation for the overwhelming majority of programs.

The weather is going to start getting cruddier so that always slows things down, but I could imagine us hanging 40+ another couple times before the year is done.

Also, after a really shaky start, Petras was 16/22 for 181 yards and 2 TDs through the final 3 quarters. And this against a very good defense with a WR corps that might charitably be called "scrappy". Some will just never see it this way, but we could do so much worse.

On a different note, CryFan is losing its mind over how they are so much better and how Iowa is maybe a top 15 team and how Iowa is the luckiest team ever.

99% of the posts in that thread are from fans who have no clue how football is properly played

I am not a football coach but when we are first and goal at the 6 I am an advocate for the qb sneak on 3 straight plays. We must average 3-4 yards every time we run that I think we could just plow in behind our all American center.

Most folks here hold CJ Beatherd in high regard as an Iowa QB and indeed he is sticking in the league.

In the Big10 Championship game against MSU the offense, with the exception of 1 big play, was just as brutal as it was last night. We saw a legit defense with dudes that will be playing on Sundays. That defense is just as good as ours. So, while I was just as frustrated as everyone with some of the playcalling and execution, let's have some perspective. That was a Top 5 team and they win with their defense too.

Our offense and QB should learn from this game and keep getting better.

Taking a knee on that last drive was pretty questionable. But, KF knew that kid was not going to drive 50 yards in 35 seconds with no time outs. I guess he decided that a fumble at midfield was a greater risk. He is the coach of the #2 team in the nation!!

Latest posts